ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EV EVerse 8  (Read 1272 times)

Douglas R. Allen

EV EVerse 8
« on: October 25, 2022, 01:01:57 PM »

I see EV has a new battery powered speaker out. For a small cocktail/background music speaker it might be ok.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uqT0jUKU5U

Douglas R. Allen

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: EV EVerse 8
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2022, 03:46:40 PM »

I'd buy this as a stage monitor if they removed 75% of the DJ features.

I'd like to see no battery, no menu, knobs or buttons, and just an XLR in and passthrough and a powercon in and passthrough. It would be cool to leave bluetooth connectivity for dsp management though. Give it some EQ presets, HP filters, and delay onboard but accessed through a BT app.

Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Richard Penrose

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 04:02:05 PM »

I'm quite interested to hear the EVerse8 as I've been quite impressed with the Bose S1 for a small lightweight monitor/keyboard amp and even FOH for small acoustic gigs (piano/vocals).
At the moment I'm using some old Alto TS210's which are ok. However, when I heard the Bose S1 next to the Alto TS210's (which are twice the size and weight) I was surprised to hear the S1 was at least as loud and had possibly a little extra depth of bass!? However, the S1 didn't handle being driven as loud as the Alto's and started to break up and had a lot of port noise. It will be interesting to hear how the EVerse8 compares to both the Alto TS210 and Bose S1.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 05:46:49 PM »

We have a couple small powered speakers w/ 2 inputs + bluetooth in rental stock (dB Technologies SYA 10) and they go out a lot, but a few times over the last year we've gotten calls specifically requesting a battery powered solution, so I could see this being a good solution for those clients. I've looked at the EON ONE but it just has so many little knobs on it. This has a screen to get lost in but this just feels harder to mess up than having 6 knobs on the side or whatever. The "splash and light rain" resistance is attractive, although that's only with the little plastic cover on the back.

Being able to power a 12v 500mA RF mic system out of the back also makes things interesting. More complicated, but a clever solution for some gigs.

Thomas Le

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2022, 07:59:29 AM »

https://products.electrovoice.com/na/en/everse8

Oh wow, already this looks way better than the Bose S1 Pro and the JBL EON one compact. The S1 is alright albeit kinda overpriced, but it kinda started this category? The EON one compact is more feature packed but the UI/controls are kinda confusing, but it has a "tweeter". The EVERSE 8 looks like it fixes the JBL UI and got the idea of the tilt back of the S1 Pro, and powering a wireless mic along with it is a creative idea, wonder how the battery life is affected.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2022, 09:38:59 AM »

I put in an order for a pair with the EV made tote bags. No word yet on shipping date but I'll make sure and follow up with my impressions once received.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2022, 06:22:17 PM »

I put in an order for a pair with the EV made tote bags. No word yet on shipping date but I'll make sure and follow up with my impressions once received.

Please do let us know. I wonder about the battery life. It seems respectable on paper but in the "real world" it may be different.

Douglas R. Allen

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2022, 09:30:10 AM »

Got our pair of EVERSE 8s in mid November. The EV tote bags aren't expected to arrive until mid-December.

Initial impressions after pulling them out in the shop are very positive. Lightweight yet feel sturdy and well built. Very easy to use. Lots of handy features that are easy to access in the main menu, including EQ, delay, HPF, various DSP voicings (wedge, tripod, etc.). Connecting via bluetooth was self explanatory, which is the primary selling point of these, IMO, for potential rental customers. I have not tried the EV app yet, just connected to BT to play music. Was also very easy to pair the second speaker to the first to make a "stereo pair."

Sound is very full and pleasant for such a small speaker. Definitely geared toward music playback by default, but with some basic tweaking or changing basic settings in the menu, could be tailored for speech or vocal performance.

They get plenty loud for a speaker of this size and price, but they don't get crazy loud. I know that's very subjective, but I imagine some rental customers will crank these to their limits for a backyard party or whatever. They're loud enough for that kind of client to be happy, but they'll be running them in to limit under those conditions, I would imagine. They sound fine running in limit, don't really seem to break up or have any noticeable degradation of sound quality. There's a very clear limit meter on the rear display. Dropping the LF output a bit gains you some more output, which is not surprising because they're very small and by default have a fairly hyped LF response.

As far as battery life, our shop guys used them as a Bluetooth stereo pair for roughly 4 days listening to background music streamed from a laptop via BT. This is very light to moderate level, probably 30-40% output, for roughly 5-6 hours/day. On the fourth day, one unit died about 4 hours in and the second an hour or so later.

All in, all, they easily ran for 18 hours on a single charge, albeit at fairly low (maybe 1/3rd) output.

Everyone that came through the shop while they were being tested was impressed at the sound quality, features and finish. Excited to put them through some more difficult situations and see how they hold up to some rental customers. Also looking forward to rigging up a way to power one of our older Shure PG series wireless handheld units off the 12v output, as I think that will really be slick to have all packed in the EV tote, ready to go anywhere without the need for AC power.

Stephen Beatty

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 11:34:37 AM »

I am at a University and we provide some portable systems. I just got a pair of Anchor GoGetter 2 units. Just the basic model. We have used various Anchor products for a while. Most of the use case is vocal reinforcement and light background music for groups having an event. No expectations of loud music playback.
They work well. Sound ok and are dirt simple to operate. That is what I like. The Bluetooth works well. We did not get the wireless features. The companion battery powered speaker with their wireless link is a nice feature if you need it. We just use the unpowered speakers if more coverage is needed.
So far everyone that has used them like them. Light and when the time comes to announce its time to eat they do the job.
The EV would be nice if I needed something that did music better. 

Added for: The EV look very usable. I'd like to try these in a not so DJ'ed up form, for use in a theater production to get sound from locations around the room. For some light delay work they would be nice. Will they make a larger unit maybe?
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 10:51:02 AM by Stephen Beatty »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2022, 11:34:37 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 24 queries.