ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small profile Line Arrays  (Read 2582 times)

Jordan Sikes

Small profile Line Arrays
« on: October 05, 2022, 02:08:03 PM »

Hey guys, I am looking for a small profile line array system. This is for Live band events. I am currently looking at the RCF HDL6 and db Technologies DVA K5. Even though I have not heard the K5, I lean that way because of db offering cardioid subs.

What else is out there that I am missing and has anyone compared the HDL6 and K5?

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Small profile Line Arrays
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2022, 02:17:40 PM »

We sold a dB Tech T8 system to a client and it fits a great price/performance ratio and has been a rock solid performer for a couple years of consistent use. I would go for T8 over K5 purely for the network control, which K5 lacks. I've not heard K5. Worth noting that HDL6 does have network control. Like most plastic boxes, my main gripe about the T8s is when you push them near their limits, you can definitely hear it, so make sure you bring, as Tim says, Enough Rig for the Gig™.

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2022, 02:28:33 PM »

Hey guys, I am looking for a small profile line array system. This is for Live band events. I am currently looking at the RCF HDL6 and db Technologies DVA K5. Even though I have not heard the K5, I lean that way because of db offering cardioid subs.

What else is out there that I am missing and has anyone compared the HDL6 and K5?

Please go to your profile and change your name to your real full name as required by the posting rules.

Mac
admin

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2022, 03:22:32 PM »

Deciding on a line-array should involve a lot more than just selecting a size.

None of this may matter, but if you (or someone) are going to be spending a lot of money on speakers, you may want to make sure you are making the best choice possible for your situation.

1. How many people do you want to cover?  (there is more involved with this, but generally speaking)
2. Do you plan on flying the speakers or ground-stacking? 
3. If you are flying, what do you plan on using to fly them?
4.  What do you expect to get from a small line array setup that you cannot get with a point-source cabinet?

For larger events, I use the RCF NXL-23A cabinets for mid/high mains (12" w/3x1" horns) and will occasionally use two RCF HDL-10a cabinets as center-fills (when needed).  From my experience with the HDL-10 cabinets and listening to the HDL6 cabinets, the smaller the cabinet, the more "narrow" the cabinet sounds.  On smaller cabinets, the vocals tend to sound somewhat "nasely", this may not be easy to EQ out.  I would probably not use anything less than an 8" driver on smaller cabinets.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 03:24:39 PM by Bob Faulkner »

Jordan Sikes

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 06:17:01 PM »

Deciding on a line-array should involve a lot more than just selecting a size.

None of this may matter, but if you (or someone) are going to be spending a lot of money on speakers, you may want to make sure you are making the best choice possible for your situation.

1. How many people do you want to cover?  (there is more involved with this, but generally speaking)
2. Do you plan on flying the speakers or ground-stacking? 
3. If you are flying, what do you plan on using to fly them?
4.  What do you expect to get from a small line array setup that you cannot get with a point-source cabinet?

For larger events, I use the RCF NXL-23A cabinets for mid/high mains (12" w/3x1" horns) and will occasionally use two RCF HDL-10a cabinets as center-fills (when needed).  From my experience with the HDL-10 cabinets and listening to the HDL6 cabinets, the smaller the cabinet, the more "narrow" the cabinet sounds.  On smaller cabinets, the vocals tend to sound somewhat "nasely", this may not be easy to EQ out.  I would probably not use anything less than an 8" driver on smaller cabinets.

Thanks for all of the concerns.
I have genie lifts and multiple other systems consisting of larger arrays and point source boxes. I have a specific use for this smaller box. It has to do with the weight and the width of the box.

How do you like your HDL10s? Seems like most people I have talked with prefer the HDL6 or really any HDL box over the 10 or 20.

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 06:18:27 PM »

You don't state the size of the venues or how many people you are trying to cover, but there are some really low profile systems out there using very small drivers in the 2" and 3" range.  These are column or line source and require a sub.   They can sound surprisingly good, but they are not for eveybody or every venue.  I get repeat business for my K Array KR 200 system because of its small size.  The horizontal dispersion is very wide at most frequencies, so it doesn't work well in some rooms.  In others nothing else works as well.  I'm not saying these type systems are what you need, but you should at least be aware of them.  Also, the DB Tech IQ4 and similar speakers from other manufacturer's (FBT, RCF, many more) have some flying/stacking/mounting options.  None of these are "line array" systems in the modern sense, but the idea behind line arrays is to emulate the features of "ideal" line sources.  This begs the question - why do you need a line array?  If the "line array" is less than 6 - 8 feet in length, it probably isn't working as a line array at most frequencies.  2 or 3 boxes does not a line array make!  Point source speakers can outperform small (read short) line arrays.  With line arrays, probably half of what you are paying for is the hardware to safely "fly" 12 - 30 speakers over the heads of an audience.  Why pay for hardware if the speakers are only going to be stacked on a subwooifer?

Jordan Sikes

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 06:27:12 PM »

You don't state the size of the venues or how many people you are trying to cover, but there are some really low profile systems out there using very small drivers in the 2" and 3" range.  These are column or line source and require a sub.   They can sound surprisingly good, but they are not for eveybody or every venue.  I get repeat business for my K Array KR 200 system because of its small size.  The horizontal dispersion is very wide at most frequencies, so it doesn't work well in some rooms.  In others nothing else works as well.  I'm not saying these type systems are what you need, but you should at least be aware of them.  Also, the DB Tech IQ4 and similar speakers from other manufacturer's (FBT, RCF, many more) have some flying/stacking/mounting options.  None of these are "line array" systems in the modern sense, but the idea behind line arrays is to emulate the features of "ideal" line sources.  This begs the question - why do you need a line array?  If the "line array" is less than 6 - 8 feet in length, it probably isn't working as a line array at most frequencies.  2 or 3 boxes does not a line array make!  Point source speakers can outperform small (read short) line arrays.  With line arrays, probably half of what you are paying for is the hardware to safely "fly" 12 - 30 speakers over the heads of an audience.  Why pay for hardware if the speakers are only going to be stacked on a subwooifer?

Did I say how many boxes I would be using? Did I say I was going to ground stack them? I’m simply asking if someone has heard both of these boxes and been able to compare them. I’m well aware of other boxes. 

Jordan Sikes

« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 06:29:35 PM »

We sold a dB Tech T8 system to a client and it fits a great price/performance ratio and has been a rock solid performer for a couple years of consistent use. I would go for T8 over K5 purely for the network control, which K5 lacks. I've not heard K5. Worth noting that HDL6 does have network control. Like most plastic boxes, my main gripe about the T8s is when you push them near their limits, you can definitely hear it, so make sure you bring, as Tim says, Enough Rig for the Gig™.

I saw the T8 had a few more features. I’ll definitely make sure to have enough boxes to do the job no matter what system I’m on. Thanks for the info

Don T. Williams

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 06:40:19 PM »

Jordan, I was writing my reply while you were composing and posting your clarification.  I have installed HDL 6's in two venues.  One a 600 seat HOW and the other a 1400 seat school auditorium. I also recently installed a HDL20 LCR system in a 2000 seat auditorium.  I and my clients were very impressed with the HDL6's.  I have not noticed the "nasalness" that Bob has experienced, but it may be due to room acoustic effects that didn't exist in these venues.  The narrow profile of my KR 200 (2 1/4" wide) also doesn't seem to have this effect, but as stated they are very wide which isn't always ideal.

Don T. Williams

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 06:48:10 PM »

Did I say how many boxes I would be using? Did I say I was going to ground stack them? I’m simply asking if someone has heard both of these boxes and been able to compare them. I’m well aware of other boxes.

Jordan, I'm sorry if I gave you too much information.  The people on this forum are really trying to help you - not insult your intelligence and knowledge.  The information Bob and I ask for was for your benefit as were my comments.  Ignore what you want too!

You specifically asked "what else is out there"?  If you are "well aware of other boxes" why ask.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 10:51:01 AM by Don T. Williams »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 06:48:10 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 21 queries.