ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Small profile Line Arrays  (Read 2566 times)

Jordan Sikes

Re: Small profile Line Arrays
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2022, 07:09:59 PM »

Jordan, I was writing my reply while you were composing and posting your clarification.  I have installed HDL 6's in two venues.  One a 600 seat HOW and the other a 1400 seat school auditorium. I also recently installed a HDL20 LCR system in a 2000 seat auditorium.  I and my clients were very impressed with the HDL6's.  I have not noticed the "nasalness" that Bob has experienced, but it may be due to room acoustic effects that didn't exist in these venues.  The narrow profile of my KR 200 (2 1/4" wide) also doesn't seem to have this effect, but as stated they are very wide which isn't always ideal.

I’ve mixed on the HDL6. I was pleasantly surprised with the boxes. Just curious what else was out there with this size footprint. I know of the K5 and the new SRX906

Bob Faulkner

• Raleigh, NC
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2022, 09:01:52 PM »

I’ve mixed on the HDL6. I was pleasantly surprised with the boxes. Just curious what else was out there with this size footprint. I know of the K5 and the new SRX906
Thanks for the additional information.  As Don pointed out, this forum gets a lot of people asking about line-arrays without including some needed data.  For many of us on here, we find that we have to start somewhere to get a better picture of what the person is looking for. 

In response to your question, the HDL-10a has been great.  However, I only have 2 of them that I use for center-fills (for vocals, guitars, keys, most anything non-percussive)... when needed.  Just running 1 of them at center stage with no FOH (i.e. setting center-fill levels without the subs and FOH), they sound excellent; a very "full" sound for a small cabinet.  I've used these speakers with a Soundcraft GB8 console (w/outboard) and a Presonus Studiolive 32 console.  On both consoles, I've used a matrix for the center-fill.  The physical weight of the HDL-10a is manageable (40 lbs); the NXL-23A are 62 lbs.

With my limited exposure to the HDL-6, it is a nice speaker (great weight/size), but in my opinion, it did not have the "fullness" (maybe I was expecting it to be there) for a mid/high box for a rock band sound.  What I listened to on the HDL-6 speakers was not on my system.  I would not be opposed to replacing my NXL-23a cabinets with the HDL-10a cabinets.

Nick Andrews

« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2022, 09:12:07 PM »

I owned 16 HDL6a ,

Theyre nice speakers for sure, def less honky than the HDL20 ( which i owned 12 of those) I honestly was never totally thrilled with the HDL6a or HDL20a all that much ,

My beef with the hdl6a is that the small compression driver dispersion was a bit short for me and had a very harsh SIZZLING top end response when really laying into the boxes. I think they ran out of gas a little early, BUT Listen by no means am i bashing the product, i do like it and think it is an AMAZING form factor logistically, and puts out crazy amounts of sound for such a tiny box. I would be curious to really mix a show on a HDL26a box, i would imagine they are a little better with the larger format compression driver and bigger amp card with rdnet.

My beef with the HDL20a was some what similar, they are harsh / honky and a bit beamy .... they needed quite a bit of work IMO, but again , damn decent box for the price. I'd take both over many other things... I do really like the HDL30 though, I think that is a decent little plastic array box, ive done monitors on a bunch of good sized shows where FOH engineers were very happy with them.

I'm looking forward to seeing RCF's next generation of products, unfortunatly though it seems the whole COVID situation, parts shortages & labor shortages, has totally jacked up RCF among so many other things and businesses .

Hopefully everyone can get some product moving soon ....
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 09:22:25 PM by Nick Andrews »

Jordan Sikes

« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2022, 09:24:52 PM »

I owned 16 HDL6a ,

Theyre nice speakers for sure, def less honky than the HDL20 ( which i owned 12 of those) I honestly was never totally thrilled with the HDL6a or HDL20a all that much ,

My beef with the hdl6a is that the small compression driver dispersion was a bit short for me and had a very harsh SIZZLING top end response when really laying into the boxes. I think they ran out of gas a little early, BUT Listen by no means am i bashing the product, i do like it and think it is an AMAZING form factor logistically, and puts out crazy amounts of sound for such a tiny box.

My beef with the HDL20a was some what similar, they are harsh / honky and a bit beamy .... they needed quite a bit of work IMO, but again , damn decent box for the price. I'd take both over many other things...

I'm looking forward to seeing RCF's next generation of products, unfortunatly though it seems the whole COVID situation, parts shortages & labor shortages, has totally jacked up RCF among so many other things and businesses .

Hopefully everyone can get some product moving soon ....

I noticed you said "owned" Did you sell out or replace the boxes? if so, what did you go with? When you say the HDL6 ran out of gas, what kind of SPL were you hitting?

Yes, Covid has really messed the industry up. I've been waiting om some wireless mics for almost 10 months. Last I heard, some RCF products are backed up until Spring/summer 2023.

Nick Andrews

« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2022, 09:26:35 PM »

I noticed you said "owned" Did you sell out or replace the boxes? if so, what did you go with? When you say the HDL6 ran out of gas, what kind of SPL were you hitting?

Yes, Covid has really messed the industry up. I've been waiting om some wireless mics for almost 10 months. Last I heard, some RCF products are backed up until Spring/summer 2023.

I sold them and replaced with TTL4a / TTS18amk2 rig. 4 per side , with 8 TTS18amk2,  Totally love the rig , very good box and versatile, the subs are animals and very clean from behind the boxes compared to 8004 / 8006. The TTL4a is basically an HDL30a in a birch wood box with a pole mount option, and multiple array option , its really cool.

Lets hope it gets better! I went to buy a new truck today and both the Ram and Ford dealers told me 1 year wait on new promasters and Transits!

SPL was  Rock N Roll Level loud live band, concerts, weddings, private events 300 - 500 people on average, up to 6 boxes per side with an 8006 and 8004 underneath , it was a good little rig for sure I think the thing I have to remind yourself of is that the boxes are frinken TINY
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 09:37:46 PM by Nick Andrews »

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2022, 05:50:48 AM »

FWIW. I had a HDL20A-rig last weekend. It was a pleasant surprise, didn't expect much, but the rig performed well.

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2022, 10:42:16 AM »

FWIW. I had a HDL20A-rig last weekend. It was a pleasant surprise, didn't expect much, but the rig performed well.

I spent 3 days mixing monitors behind a low-trimmed HDL20a rig.  I'm not a big monitor guy to start with and those were 3 very frustrating days/nights.  The box is pretty much "omni" below 1kHz.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2022, 10:59:03 AM »

I spent 3 days mixing monitors behind a low-trimmed HDL20a rig.  I'm not a big monitor guy to start with and those were 3 very frustrating days/nights.  The box is pretty much "omni" below 1kHz.

Mhm, there was a lot of stuff going on behind it.
But, it sounded good out front.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2022, 10:59:03 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 19 queries.