Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Small profile Line Arrays

(1/4) > >>

Jordan Sikes:
Hey guys, I am looking for a small profile line array system. This is for Live band events. I am currently looking at the RCF HDL6 and db Technologies DVA K5. Even though I have not heard the K5, I lean that way because of db offering cardioid subs.

What else is out there that I am missing and has anyone compared the HDL6 and K5?

Steve Eudaly:
We sold a dB Tech T8 system to a client and it fits a great price/performance ratio and has been a rock solid performer for a couple years of consistent use. I would go for T8 over K5 purely for the network control, which K5 lacks. I've not heard K5. Worth noting that HDL6 does have network control. Like most plastic boxes, my main gripe about the T8s is when you push them near their limits, you can definitely hear it, so make sure you bring, as Tim says, Enough Rig for the Gig™.

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: jsox2409 on October 05, 2022, 02:08:03 PM ---Hey guys, I am looking for a small profile line array system. This is for Live band events. I am currently looking at the RCF HDL6 and db Technologies DVA K5. Even though I have not heard the K5, I lean that way because of db offering cardioid subs.

What else is out there that I am missing and has anyone compared the HDL6 and K5?

--- End quote ---

Please go to your profile and change your name to your real full name as required by the posting rules.

Mac
admin

Bob Faulkner:

--- Quote from: Jordan Sikes on October 05, 2022, 02:08:03 PM ---Hey guys, I am looking for a small profile line array system. This is for Live band events. I am currently looking at the RCF HDL6 and db Technologies DVA K5. Even though I have not heard the K5, I lean that way because of db offering cardioid subs.

--- End quote ---
Deciding on a line-array should involve a lot more than just selecting a size.

None of this may matter, but if you (or someone) are going to be spending a lot of money on speakers, you may want to make sure you are making the best choice possible for your situation.

1. How many people do you want to cover?  (there is more involved with this, but generally speaking)
2. Do you plan on flying the speakers or ground-stacking? 
3. If you are flying, what do you plan on using to fly them?
4.  What do you expect to get from a small line array setup that you cannot get with a point-source cabinet?

For larger events, I use the RCF NXL-23A cabinets for mid/high mains (12" w/3x1" horns) and will occasionally use two RCF HDL-10a cabinets as center-fills (when needed).  From my experience with the HDL-10 cabinets and listening to the HDL6 cabinets, the smaller the cabinet, the more "narrow" the cabinet sounds.  On smaller cabinets, the vocals tend to sound somewhat "nasely", this may not be easy to EQ out.  I would probably not use anything less than an 8" driver on smaller cabinets.

Jordan Sikes:

--- Quote from: Bob Faulkner on October 05, 2022, 03:22:32 PM ---Deciding on a line-array should involve a lot more than just selecting a size.

None of this may matter, but if you (or someone) are going to be spending a lot of money on speakers, you may want to make sure you are making the best choice possible for your situation.

1. How many people do you want to cover?  (there is more involved with this, but generally speaking)
2. Do you plan on flying the speakers or ground-stacking? 
3. If you are flying, what do you plan on using to fly them?
4.  What do you expect to get from a small line array setup that you cannot get with a point-source cabinet?

For larger events, I use the RCF NXL-23A cabinets for mid/high mains (12" w/3x1" horns) and will occasionally use two RCF HDL-10a cabinets as center-fills (when needed).  From my experience with the HDL-10 cabinets and listening to the HDL6 cabinets, the smaller the cabinet, the more "narrow" the cabinet sounds.  On smaller cabinets, the vocals tend to sound somewhat "nasely", this may not be easy to EQ out.  I would probably not use anything less than an 8" driver on smaller cabinets.

--- End quote ---

Thanks for all of the concerns.
I have genie lifts and multiple other systems consisting of larger arrays and point source boxes. I have a specific use for this smaller box. It has to do with the weight and the width of the box.

How do you like your HDL10s? Seems like most people I have talked with prefer the HDL6 or really any HDL box over the 10 or 20.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version