ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Some help on routing X32 with S16  (Read 1479 times)

Jeremy Spoken

Some help on routing X32 with S16
« on: October 04, 2022, 08:33:42 AM »

Hello everyone,

Having recently installed a small stage for live shows, I have a little trouble configuring my X32 and S16 as I would like...

Here is a simplified schematic of my stage and gear:

My Behringer DCX2496 crossover is already set up for 100 hz Sub/Tops X-over (Butterworth 18 / BUT18).

So, from there, here are the main objectives:

As inputs / sources :
- Instruments / instrument mics / DJ (2x xlr) / PC (2x RCA) on the S16 stagebox => AES50 => X32
- Voice mic / PC (2x RCA) on the X32 directly

At for outputs :
- output from the S16 stagebox (AES50) => Behringer DCX2496 crossover => Nexo Amp =>  2 tops (HK Audio F5 115) + 2 Subs (HK audio Sub 1200)
- output from the X32 =>  3x "back of the room"  monitors (HK audio L3 112 XA)

I want to be able to
a) control the whole = front of house (2x tops/subs) + back of house (3x monitor) with the Main L/R of the X32
b) individually control the front of house (2x tops/subs) and the back of house (3x monitor) for volume + EQ levels

So far I managed to route my mic (or any source) connected to the X32 so that it comes out from the outputs of the S16 stagebox but it's not controlled by the 2 Main L/R faders on the X32... it's controlled from the mixbus 1.

My main problem is the output routing of the X32.

Thanks for your help.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 08:37:57 AM by Jeremy Spoken »

Jeff M Hague

Re: Some help on routing X32 with S16
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2022, 09:52:22 AM »

Hello everyone,

Having recently installed a small stage for live shows, I have a little trouble configuring my X32 and S16 as I would like...

Here is a simplified schematic of my stage and gear:

My Behringer DCX2496 crossover is already set up for 100 hz Sub/Tops X-over (Butterworth 18 / BUT18).

So, from there, here are the main objectives:

As inputs / sources :
- Instruments / instrument mics / DJ (2x xlr) / PC (2x RCA) on the S16 stagebox => AES50 => X32
- Voice mic / PC (2x RCA) on the X32 directly

At for outputs :
- output from the S16 stagebox (AES50) => Behringer DCX2496 crossover => Nexo Amp =>  2 tops (HK Audio F5 115) + 2 Subs (HK audio Sub 1200)
- output from the X32 =>  3x "back of the room"  monitors (HK audio L3 112 XA)

I want to be able to
a) control the whole = front of house (2x tops/subs) + back of house (3x monitor) with the Main L/R of the X32
b) individually control the front of house (2x tops/subs) and the back of house (3x monitor) for volume + EQ levels

So far I managed to route my mic (or any source) connected to the X32 so that it comes out from the outputs of the S16 stagebox but it's not controlled by the 2 Main L/R faders on the X32... it's controlled from the mixbus 1.

My main problem is the output routing of the X32.

Thanks for your help.

If I am not mistaken, the default output routing would be 1-8 on both the X32 and the S16 outputs and 9-16 on the X32 outputs. If you set the S16 for "Out +8", then 1-8 will be on the X32 and 9-16 will be on both the X32 and S16. I believe also by default, Mixbusses 1-14(?) will be outputs 1-14 and L/R will be outputs 15&16. You could then use 15&16 to feed the DCX and mixbusses 1-3 on X32 outputs 1-3 to feed your back of the room monitors.
Jeff

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 01:20:16 PM »

{...}
I want to be able to
{...}

Here's how I'd do it:

Output channel assignments:
  • Matrix 1 = "Front L" = S16 output 7
  • Matrix 2 = "Front R" = S16 output 8
  • Matrix 3 = "Back L" = X32 output 15
  • Matrix 4 = "Back R" = X32 output 16
  • Matrix 5 = "Back C" = X32 output 14
  • Matrix 6 = "Subs" = S16 output 6

Routing:
  • "XLR"-"Outputs 13-16" sources from "Out 13-16" (this should be the default)
  • "Outs 1-16"-"Output 14" sources from "Matrix 5"
  • "Outs 1-16"-"Output 15" sources from "Matrix 3"
  • "Outs 1-16"-"Output 16" sources from "Matrix 4"
  • "AES50"-"AES50-A 1-8" sources from "User Out 1-8"
  • "User Out"-"Output 6" sources from "Matrix 6"
  • "User Out"-"Output 7" sources from "Matrix 1"
  • "User Out"-"Output 8" sources from "Matrix 2"

Channel configuration:
  • Enable "Stereo Link" for Matrix 1&2 (also possibly for Matrix 3&4 if Back L&R speakers are to be stereo); leave disabled for Matrix 5&6 (for summed mono)
  • Send "LR" to all 6 Matrixes (Matrices?)

-Russ

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 06:08:39 PM »

I'd also pull the Ultradrive right out of the equation and just use the crossover built into the X32.  Then you can put the subs on the center channel easily.

Route left/right and center to appropriate matrixes. Now your main volume is on the main page, and adjusting the balance is done using the matrixes. In early versions only the matrixes had crossovers, so that's how I started doing this exact thing.  Set delays on each output right on the console to match things up and have a happy day.
Brian Jojade

Jeremy Spoken

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2022, 04:37:50 AM »

Here's how I'd do it:

Output channel assignments:
  • Matrix 1 = "Front L" = S16 output 7
  • Matrix 2 = "Front R" = S16 output 8
  • Matrix 3 = "Back L" = X32 output 15
  • Matrix 4 = "Back R" = X32 output 16
  • Matrix 5 = "Back C" = X32 output 14
  • Matrix 6 = "Subs" = S16 output 6

Routing:
  • "XLR"-"Outputs 13-16" sources from "Out 13-16" (this should be the default)
  • "Outs 1-16"-"Output 14" sources from "Matrix 5"
  • "Outs 1-16"-"Output 15" sources from "Matrix 3"
  • "Outs 1-16"-"Output 16" sources from "Matrix 4"
  • "AES50"-"AES50-A 1-8" sources from "User Out 1-8"
  • "User Out"-"Output 6" sources from "Matrix 6"
  • "User Out"-"Output 7" sources from "Matrix 1"
  • "User Out"-"Output 8" sources from "Matrix 2"

Channel configuration:
  • Enable "Stereo Link" for Matrix 1&2 (also possibly for Matrix 3&4 if Back L&R speakers are to be stereo); leave disabled for Matrix 5&6 (for summed mono)
  • Send "LR" to all 6 Matrixes (Matrices?)

-Russ

Hey @Russell thank you!

I get the general idea here.
I'm confused on 2 things:

1) in Routing, where and how specifically, do I choose each Matrix as a source

2) how to send LR to all 6 matrixes

Thank you

Jeremy Spoken

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2022, 04:38:56 AM »

I'd also pull the Ultradrive right out of the equation and just use the crossover built into the X32.  Then you can put the subs on the center channel easily.

Route left/right and center to appropriate matrixes. Now your main volume is on the main page, and adjusting the balance is done using the matrixes. In early versions only the matrixes had crossovers, so that's how I started doing this exact thing.  Set delays on each output right on the console to match things up and have a happy day.

Good idea!
Can the X32 work as a Limiter? I was thinking of using the Ultradrive also as a limiter to protect the speakers...

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Lowestoft - UK
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 06:36:18 AM »

You seem to be making it very complicated? Route the L/Routputs to the S16, then your master does what it normally does. If you want to use the desk to split out the subs, they can just go via a spare send or two, or however you fancy, with whatever you pick routed to another two outputs on the S16?

lindsay Dean

• Classic LAB
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 01:25:02 PM »

I consider it a less than  ideal to allow your console to do all your system processing
 if the console happens to go down you lose everything.
      it's always better to use an outboard processor
"A mans got to know his limitations"
     and Pray for higher guidance

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Lowestoft - UK
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 02:45:17 PM »

If your console goes down, you've lost the show, irrespective of if it's driving amps separately or through a speaker controller of some kind. I have had more processing fail than I've had mixers. I've had a Peavy just output white noise and a different brand lose the sub outputs. However, being able to tweak the crossover and other controls at the desk is much better than trying to do it at a rack where you can't hear what you're doing? When I first bought an X32 you had to0 do it with EQ and a spare pair of outputs, or more for subs too, but then the updates appeared making it much better.

James Paul

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 04:07:51 PM »

As well as an X32 can replace the DCX, I would caution where and how it is implemented. I.E., it would seem unwise to suggest for anyone that has to inquire on a forum for fundamental routing answers. Master the routing before moving to processor replication/ replacement.
Another unwise scenario is when board is victim to multiple hands that can easily and mistakenly load a show stopping scene or wrong fader/ knob adjustment.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 04:07:51 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.039 seconds with 20 queries.