ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down

Author Topic: "Can you play music from my phone?"  (Read 2462 times)

Mike Monte

• My website
Re: "Can you play music from my phone?"
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2022, 01:08:36 PM »

It's been awhile since I've done private event gigs, but I guess I should have seen this request coming from the host. Since most phones lack an audio jack, and since the music was from their Spotify playlist, it looks like I need to add a Bluetooth receiver to my gear bag.

There are no shortage of inexpensive BT audio receivers out there and sound quality isn't an issue (Spotify, BT audio, live sound outdoors, etc). But ease of pairing to a clients phone seems like it could be a problem in some cases. Anyone have an adapter they like that has proven easy to pair with clients' phones?

Or is there another way to solve this problem that I'm overlooking?

For this year's ACS Relay for Life the local team leader (not part of the ACS, but she organizes the event's activities) decided to go with people from her team using playlists from their phones.  (The local ACS rep refused to fund the $1000+ for a DJ - what a surprise)
I provided the rigs.
During the planning stages I informed the team leader (both verbally and in writing on the Job Proposal) that those providing the music from their phone must provide their own "working" dongle (iPhone to 1/8" female headphone jack).
I brought a couple of spares as they are cheap enough.....

At the event I set up the gals with a stereo DI with adapters for two phones, showed them appropriate channels on the mixer, instructed them how to mute a channel if they were going to disconnect, and how to prevent clipping.
They followed directions and everything worked flawlessly.

I have two Alto Bluetooth Total units that work for break/background tunes, however, I would rather trust good-old copper for mission critical applications.

Thomas Le

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2022, 02:07:07 PM »

Bluetooth is for break music only, fortunately I do have a laptop dedicated for playback. I do tell that someone, not me, needs to be a dedicated media person to trigger the playback because I don't know the "cues" when to start playing the media.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2022, 05:52:05 PM »

Running a Midas M32C and 2 DL16s on stage with no I/O at FOH, I run into this pretty much every show.

Well, if you're not running ANY cable to FOH, then wireless would have to be your choice. Not a choice I'd want to make though. And depending on your distance from stage, bluetooth isn't a choice I'd want to rely for any significant distance.
Brian Jojade

James Paul

« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2022, 04:29:16 PM »

`Anyone have an adapter they like that has proven easy to pair with clients' phones?`

https://www.amazon.com/B06-Plus-Bluetooth-Receiver-Streaming/dp/B078J3GTRK/ref=sr_1_15?crid=RGE7270ZG7XN&keywords=bluetooth%2Badapter&qid=1665001265&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI1LjU5IiwicXNhIjoiNC44OSIsInFzcCI6IjQuNTAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=bluetooth%2Caps%2C353&sr=8-15&th=1

IME, cheap, easy, and reliable. Part of my toolkit, in addition to the aforementioned adapters, cables and methods. Have also dropped some in venues that i repeat visit.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2022, 11:25:51 PM »

I'll connect a persons phone to the system but I have a rule where I do not operate someones  phone.

Craig Leerman

• Global Moderator
  • Do Not Read This!
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2022, 12:28:51 AM »

`Anyone have an adapter they like that has proven easy to pair with clients' phones?`

https://www.amazon.com/B06-Plus-Bluetooth-Receiver-Streaming/dp/B078J3GTRK/ref=sr_1_15?crid=RGE7270ZG7XN&keywords=bluetooth%2Badapter&qid=1665001265&qu=eyJxc2MiOiI1LjU5IiwicXNhIjoiNC44OSIsInFzcCI6IjQuNTAifQ%3D%3D&sprefix=bluetooth%2Caps%2C353&sr=8-15&th=1

IME, cheap, easy, and reliable. Part of my toolkit, in addition to the aforementioned adapters, cables and methods. Have also dropped some in venues that i repeat visit.

I carry an “interface kit” with every console. Each one contains a bunch of audio interface cables including a Lightning-to-headphone dongle for the newer iPhones. Each kit also has a Whirlwind IMP DI, Switchcraft 318 1/8” DI, Switchcraft 318BT Bluetooth DI and a Esinkin Bluetooth DI similar to the one referenced above. 

I had a few clients not be able to come t to the 318BT so I bought a few different units online to check out. While it has RCA outputs, the Esinkin sounds great and I have not had a client not be able to sync to it.

Like others, if it’s a critical cue I make the client play it from their phone or I will download the track and trigger it from my computer playing Sports Sounds Pro. If it’s just walk in/out music they can leave the phone by me at the console and I will even charge it for them.
I'm so old, when I was doing FOH for Tommy Dorsey, to balance out the horn section I would slide their chairs downstage and upstage to mix!

TechWorksReno.com
Facebook.com/TechWorksReno
Pinterest.com/TechWorks0492

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2022, 12:28:51 AM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 24 queries.