ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down

Author Topic: "Can you play music from my phone?"  (Read 2452 times)

Andrew Broughton

• Check Check One Two
-Andy

"Well, my days of not taking you seriously are certainly coming to a middle..."

http://www.checkcheckonetwo.com
Saving lives through Digital Audio, Programming and Electronics.

Jay Marr

Re: "Can you play music from my phone?"
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2022, 08:25:25 PM »

The USB-1/8 and iPhone-1/8 is the best option (and should cover almost any scenario).

One of my bandmates showed up with the 'Alto Total' bluetooth receive (plugs into a XLR port).
It was pretty solid!  Or at least as solid as bluetooth is ever going to be in a crowded room.
I paired my phone in a few seconds and streamed music from my phone.  I walked around a lot to see if it would drop out and it did not.
Would I trust it in a critical situation - no (but that goes for anything bluetooth).
But for set break music, or stuff like that - I would definitely use it.

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2022, 08:34:01 PM »

If you really want the Bluetooth option (some clients these dates simply think "audio from a phone" HAS to be Bluetooth and if it's not, you're the weirdo) the Radial BT-PRO v2 has proven to be reliable within reason for Bluetooth's capabilities. I would just make sure and not use it for mission critical stuff, just background music, and explain to the client that you cannot guarantee there will be no dropouts while offering them a wired solution.

My vote is for the BT-PRO v2 too as I have suggested here many times. In busy wifi environments it does NOT reach the 100ft it claims BUT it definitely will reach at least 25ft without drop out. In less busy environments, much farther than that and remains very stable.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2022, 11:47:49 PM »

I think I read that the original BT spec had a 5 foot range.  It's definitely not reliable over 20 or so feet.

Bluetooth 1.0 came out in 1999 and had a speed of 1Mbps/s and a listed range of 33 feet. Used mostly for mice and keyboards initially, reality was much closer to that 5 foot spec you mention.

Versions 2 and 3 introduced options for higher range with higher power specs, but weren't widely implemented.

The latest version 5 introduces long range connection options with the caveat that the speed decreases as your distance increases, with ranges up to 800 feet or so.
Brian Jojade

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2022, 01:44:59 AM »

It's been awhile since I've done private event gigs, but I guess I should have seen this request coming from the host. Since most phones lack an audio jack, and since the music was from their Spotify playlist, it looks like I need to add a Bluetooth receiver to my gear bag.

There are no shortage of inexpensive BT audio receivers out there and sound quality isn't an issue (Spotify, BT audio, live sound outdoors, etc). But ease of pairing to a clients phone seems like it could be a problem in some cases. Anyone have an adapter they like that has proven easy to pair with clients' phones?

Or is there another way to solve this problem that I'm overlooking?

I have an email set up for all my rental computers and devices. I can send an email to a particular address and it will appear in the email app. I can distribute things like links to spotify playlists and PDFs to everything at once. I carry adapters for all my devices to 3.5mm and get get into a Radial ProAV1 from there.

I am loathe to use Bluetooth and I just assume the adapter and aux cable are expendables, at this point, since they disappear from many places. I orders 3.5mm to RCA ten at a time form mono price at under $2 and the adapters are $4 from Amazon

I also have a 3% Expendables charge on every invoice. I no longer sweat half rolls of gaff, sharpies and other small items.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Mike Pyle

• Santa Rosa, CA
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2022, 02:46:47 AM »

I've been happy with the performance of the Denon DN-200BR receiver.
Mike Pyle  Audiopyle Sound  707-315-6204
Dealer For: JBL, Soundcraft, Crown, dbx, AKG, Yorkville, EV, QSC, RCF, FBT, Danley Sound Labs, Meyer Sound, Fulcrum Acoustic, Tannoy, Lab Gruppen, Powersoft, Linea Research, EAW, Allen & Heath, Ashly, APB, Audix, One Systems, Presonus, K&M, Ultimate, Global Truss, Intellistage, SKB, Gator, Radial Engineering, Turbosound, Midas, dB Technologies, American DJ, Odyssey, ProCo, Rapco, CBI, Elation, Mipro, Chauvet, Blizzard, Shure, Whirlwind, Bassboss, Yamaha, Line 6, Behringer, On-Stage, more...

Jeff M Hague

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2022, 10:15:15 AM »

It's been awhile since I've done private event gigs, but I guess I should have seen this request coming from the host. Since most phones lack an audio jack, and since the music was from their Spotify playlist, it looks like I need to add a Bluetooth receiver to my gear bag.

There are no shortage of inexpensive BT audio receivers out there and sound quality isn't an issue (Spotify, BT audio, live sound outdoors, etc). But ease of pairing to a clients phone seems like it could be a problem in some cases. Anyone have an adapter they like that has proven easy to pair with clients' phones?

Or is there another way to solve this problem that I'm overlooking?

Running a Midas M32C and 2 DL16s on stage with no I/O at FOH, I run into this pretty much every show. My standard setup now includes a Klark Teknik DW20BR Bluetooth receiver in ch 31&32 and a Radial Pro AV2 in 29&30. The DW is for the folks with phones or tablets that just don't have an 1/8" out (although I try to carry USB C to 1/8" and Lightning to 1/8" but they are easy to "lose"). The DW has good range compared to others I have used and is reasonably priced - $80ish at Sweetwater - but is not rack mountable so it's a bit of a pain. Pairing has been super easy and straight forward. Obviously, the Pro AV is not rack mountable either so both of those have to be plugged in every show. And since the M32C doesn't have Aux inputs, I have to burn 4 channels on the DL16s so it is not an ideal solution in my mind.
I would love to find a 1U rack mountable device with Bluetooth, 1/8", 1/4", RCA, XLR and Bluetooth inputs with 2 XLR outs but that does not seem to exist.
As far as requiring that "they" provide something with 1/8" or 1/4", your mileage may vary but I have found with the events I do, oftentimes the promotor has no idea what folks will have until they arrive - especially with wedding receptions or municipal events.
Jeff

Rick Earl

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2022, 10:32:44 AM »

I keep a USB interface with me with assorted cables, but I also have a Switchcraft 318BT -  Pairs easily and quickly, runs on phantom power and small form factor.  Sometimes I can plug it in to the back of the console or at the end of a snake if that gets it closer.  Not usually my first choice, but it is compact, rugged, reliable, and not too expensive.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2022, 12:23:24 PM »

I've been happy with the performance of the Denon DN-200BR receiver.

The range on these with the remote antenna is quite good.

Matthew Knischewsky

• Kitchener Ontario Canada
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2022, 12:25:08 PM »

I keep a USB interface with me with assorted cables, but I also have a Switchcraft 318BT -  Pairs easily and quickly, runs on phantom power and small form factor.  Sometimes I can plug it in to the back of the console or at the end of a snake if that gets it closer.  Not usually my first choice, but it is compact, rugged, reliable, and not too expensive.

These are super handy for the gig bag, compact form factor and no external PSU required.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2022, 12:25:08 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.034 seconds with 21 queries.