ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sound guy sending Timecode  (Read 3421 times)

Eddie Ybarra

Re: Sound guy sending Timecode
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2022, 11:12:37 PM »

We're with shows this weekend so I'm definitely checking with a cable tester first and another widget. I'll check back after.

Eddie Ybarra

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2022, 11:14:45 PM »

That’s hard to say, but possibly.  With Hog now part of the ETC Community you can always try calling ETC’s support line and see if they have any suggestions.

For what it’s worth this is why I have a Motu MIDI Express XT in my FOH rack - it works wonders when needing to sync and broadcast MTC/SMPTE to many destinations simultaneously, and when used with a PC can help diagnose issues like this to a great extent.
How has the MIDI express been holding up in terms of road worthy and dependability?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2022, 11:20:28 PM by Eddie Ybarra »

Eddie Ybarra

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2022, 05:28:43 PM »

Ok so I can’t see or pick the Dp8000 anyone ever run into this?

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2022, 01:26:25 AM »

How has the MIDI express been holding up in terms of road worthy and dependability?

Well it's been in my rack since 2016 traveling all over Florida and still runs fine today!  Granted there aren't any faders, screens, or other common wear-and-tear components nor is the unit used on every job, but it's always come through when needed.  The applicability of MIDI to a given job compared to other timecode formats is a different discussion entirely, but when needing to sync MIDI devices, distribute MTC, and/or integrate with SMPTE I have no complaints.  I've depended on the unit for making things work at events with 7+ figure budgets if that counts for anything.

As an aside, the MIDI Express XT includes SMPTE gain adjustment - not that I promise it'll solve your video problem but it'd hopefully get you out of needing a stand-in mixer to increase gain, especially if you let the XT generate SMPTE to begin with.

Ok so I can’t see or pick the Dp8000 anyone ever run into this?

I can't say that I have, but a quick call to ETC's 24/7 support line can definitely help straighten that out!

Eddie Ybarra

« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2022, 02:02:22 AM »

Does the midi express generate SMPTE?

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2022, 07:01:49 AM »

Does the midi express generate SMPTE?

Yes, the MIDI Express XT can generate SMPTE (LTC) in several different formats, either based on its own internal clock or timecode being received from a separate device.  That being said, the purpose of this unit is not to be a standalone SMPTE timecode generator - it's a MIDI Express after all and not a SMPTE Express.  The SMPTE output will transmit as configured when the device is being operated by PC over USB with MOTU's Clockworks software or by standalone synchronization when MTC/LTC is received through an input.  I do not believe this unit can transmit SMPTE independent of either scenario just mentioned (i.e. be a standalone LTC generator) but I've never really experimented to try that either...  Hope this helps!

Eddie Ybarra

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2022, 11:22:28 PM »

Definitely helps if I can use the Midi Express to generate SMPTE from Logic then i wouldn't have to use Digital Performer solely as a SMPTE generator. So the main problem got solved the hog is getting timecode via SMPTE not midi. Still couldn't figure out why the board wouldn't get midi but gets SMPTE no problem.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2022, 11:22:28 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 22 queries.