ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap in ears mixing setup/backline for tiny rock band  (Read 2102 times)

Manoa Ratefiarison

Cheap in ears mixing setup/backline for tiny rock band
« on: October 02, 2022, 04:41:00 PM »

Good morning,

After a show with full in-ears setup, our band decided to invest for full in-ears monitoring and get rid wedges. The main reason is that we loves now running some backing tracks to polish our performance. But we aren't yet decided on what we'll buy.

During the show, we was using a Behringer X32 console to run both FOH and IEM. So naturally we looked first at the rack version of X32, but our budget can't afford it. We try to find shop accepting multiple payments but I'm not sure we'll found someone doing that in my country. So I currently looks for alternative with following criteria:
- Have enough Aux out (6 mono)
- Can be used occasionnally as FOH mixer for small gigs (we plan to use XLR splitter for bigger gigs to send audio to FOH console on bigger events)
- Eventually computer USB connection and/or any other digital connection for multitrack recording / virtual soundcheck / future expansion / computer processing

I was thinking about the XR/MR18 but currently out of stock in my country. I thinked about it because of its integrated Ultranet, where I can expand IEM outputs by adding some P16-M later if I want, I can also free up some aux by the same process. Also, with USB multitrack, I can perform at no extra cost virtual soundcheck and even some processing with computer (I love to use studio plugins live).

Other products I've noticed are RCF M18 (but no computer USB connection for recording / virtual soundcheck), Soundcraft Ui 16 (but no USB for virtual soundcheck + too small I/O count, will have to use mains to have enough out and will need to reduce drum mic count), Soundcraft Ui 24 (but cost is higher), Behringer XR16 (but no ultranet/usb + have to reduce drum mics + only 4 aux, will have to use mains for some IEM).

Did I missed some other alternatives around this price range? Would the XR/MR18 the best option or something else have to be considerated?

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Cheap in ears mixing setup/backline for tiny rock band
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2022, 09:44:40 PM »

Good morning,

After a show with full in-ears setup, our band decided to invest for full in-ears monitoring and get rid wedges. The main reason is that we loves now running some backing tracks to polish our performance. But we aren't yet decided on what we'll buy.

During the show, we was using a Behringer X32 console to run both FOH and IEM. So naturally we looked first at the rack version of X32, but our budget can't afford it. We try to find shop accepting multiple payments but I'm not sure we'll found someone doing that in my country. So I currently looks for alternative with following criteria:
- Have enough Aux out (6 mono)
- Can be used occasionnally as FOH mixer for small gigs (we plan to use XLR splitter for bigger gigs to send audio to FOH console on bigger events)
- Eventually computer USB connection and/or any other digital connection for multitrack recording / virtual soundcheck / future expansion / computer processing

I was thinking about the XR/MR18 but currently out of stock in my country. I thinked about it because of its integrated Ultranet, where I can expand IEM outputs by adding some P16-M later if I want, I can also free up some aux by the same process. Also, with USB multitrack, I can perform at no extra cost virtual soundcheck and even some processing with computer (I love to use studio plugins live).

Other products I've noticed are RCF M18 (but no computer USB connection for recording / virtual soundcheck), Soundcraft Ui 16 (but no USB for virtual soundcheck + too small I/O count, will have to use mains to have enough out and will need to reduce drum mic count), Soundcraft Ui 24 (but cost is higher), Behringer XR16 (but no ultranet/usb + have to reduce drum mics + only 4 aux, will have to use mains for some IEM).

Did I missed some other alternatives around this price range? Would the XR/MR18 the best option or something else have to be considerated?

THe only UI mixer you should consider is the UI24. Even then, I'd be wary of getting in to a Soundcraft product right now. The future of Soundcraft and other Harmon brands is shakey.

There's the Yamaha TFrack which would work. It has everything most bands need, but it is not very "flexible" meaning you can't turn auxes into busses, or matrixes. But it is LOADED with I/O. You probably won't max it out.

There is also the Allen and Heath QU-Pac. I'm not too familiar with this, but it should work well. A&H is doing great work lately.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2022, 09:46:45 AM »

The Mackie DL16S and DL32S are more capable than the XR18. They're supported by Mixing Station, which is a huge plus for in-ears. Players can lay out their own tablet to have the stuff on it they need access to. Availability may be difficult, same as anything now.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2022, 01:42:50 PM »

In addition to the other post on the equipment picks that aside have your IEM rack/system pre patched, tested, working and know how to use it. Do not use a cheap knock off splitter with no name connectors that don't really mate with real Neutriks or Switchcraft XLR's.

I have seen and dealt with all the above!

I will put a vote in for the mentioned QU Q Pac!

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2022, 05:57:09 PM »

I'd say save up your dollars and wait for the X32 rack.  It's so amazingly flexible that it can be used in a variety of situations and expanded as needed.

The other options listed so far are mostly decent candidates, but when the time comes that you need to add more channels, or need to split out it becomes much more of a challenge.

As far as using Soundcraft, the way they implemented remote control on their bigger mixers that would literally lock up the entire mixer if the network stack crashed makes me stay far away from them.  I know the UI mixers are built on a completely different platform, but my trust has been broken.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 06:02:24 PM by Brian Jojade »
Brian Jojade

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2022, 07:29:44 PM »

As far as using Soundcraft, the way they implemented remote control on their bigger mixers that would literally lock up the entire mixer if the network stack crashed makes me stay far away from them.  I know the UI mixers are built on a completely different platform, but my trust has been broken.

Yea the app for the the larger Soundcraft mixers was/is pretty bad, and that's even when it's working!

The Ui's is actually browser based and works good, so far anything I've done has never locked up the mixer, just reconnect to the mixer and your back in.

Mal Brown

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2022, 11:49:25 AM »

My experience mirrors Mike's with Soundcraft.  The Ui-24r pair I own have been workhorses for me.  My SI Impact hasn't seen the light of day for ages.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Lowestoft - UK
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2022, 02:46:50 PM »

Shame you're not in the UK - I've got an X32 that did just three shows before the band stopped for covid and never started again.

James Paul

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2022, 03:51:03 PM »

P-16M are not relatively cheap when compared to a Behringer P2 personal HP amp and phone app, not to mention the 16 channel/sources limit of the P-16m.
Stateside (6) P2`s = (1) P-16m $cost, excluding necessary XLR cables.
Another wired alternative is a muti-channel HP amp with respective number of Behringer Pm1 HP belt packs, necessary I/O cabling, and phone/tablet apps.
Benefits of the latter are sans batteries, choice of multi HP amp, and mixer brand independent.
Another vote for save up for an X32 Rack. This is a most popular mixer for IEM fly-rigs. Band has experience and exposure to X32.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 04:53:29 PM »

My experience mirrors Mike's with Soundcraft.  The Ui-24r pair I own have been workhorses for me.  My SI Impact hasn't seen the light of day for ages.

It seems like Soundcraft all but gave up on developing a new and improved SI series mixer and an APP to go with it, or at least a new fresh APP for the existing SI line up.

Never used any of the VI series.

The SI series is not even on my list of install recommendations.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2022, 04:53:29 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.02 seconds with 22 queries.