ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Cheap in ears mixing setup/backline for tiny rock band  (Read 1240 times)

Manoa Ratefiarison

Re: Cheap in ears mixing setup/backline for tiny rock band
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2022, 08:20:11 AM »

Another vote for save up for an X32 Rack. This is a most popular mixer for IEM fly-rigs. Band has experience and exposure to X32.
Finally I've gone with a XR18. I've found a very good deal. But definitely want to upgrade it to X32 later. At this moment, 6 aux are enough for the band to have one mix per person.

Now we'll look at some splitter. Is there any general recommendation around this stuff? Assuming we may use +48v on overheads mics or even vocal mics when using it for live stream, does dual-transformer splitter works with 48v?

Dan Richardson

• southern Vermont
    • NotTooLoud
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2022, 09:05:43 AM »

Assuming we may use +48v on overheads mics or even vocal mics when using it for live stream, does dual-transformer splitter works with 48v?

Nope. One side has to be hard-wired. Phantom won't pass through a transformer. Frankly. I haven't had any difficulty with hums or buzzes from a hardwired splitter in a very long time. Gear is much more resilient than it was last century.
The best sound system is no sound system. Everything else is compromise.

Thomas Le

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2022, 09:35:56 AM »

It seems like Soundcraft all but gave up on developing a new and improved SI series mixer and an APP to go with it, or at least a new fresh APP for the existing SI line up.

Never used any of the VI series.

The SI series is not even on my list of install recommendations.

It s a sad state of affairs that Soundcraft and Midas might go the way of the dodo bird figuratively, both brand have essentially neglected their product lineups or the new products are a downgrade from the discontinued models. Allen & Heath might be the last British console alive unless there's another one I am missing?

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2022, 09:52:07 AM »

It s a sad state of affairs that Soundcraft and Midas might go the way of the dodo bird figuratively, both brand have essentially neglected their product lineups or the new products are a downgrade from the discontinued models. Allen & Heath might be the last British console alive unless there's another one I am missing?

Digico?  SSL? 

Thomas Le

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2022, 09:58:08 AM »

Digico?  SSL?
Whoops, forgot this was LAB.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2022, 03:19:02 PM »

Digico?  SSL?

AMS Neve, Cadac...

-Russ

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #16 on: October 07, 2022, 04:23:25 PM »

Now we'll look at some splitter. Is there any general recommendation around this stuff? Assuming we may use +48v on overheads mics or even vocal mics when using it for live stream, does dual-transformer splitter works with 48v?

As mention phantom power will pass a transformer, most transformer isolation splitters have a direct non transformer iso output.
That said a hardwired split works fine 99% of the time, it may not hurt to have a pin 1 lift one side of the split, pin does need to be connected for phantom to pass.
My 28 channel split snake is hardwired and has ground lift switches but I can't remember the last time
I need to lift a ground on a channel!

DO NOT buy a Seismic Audio splitter, they are total crap, crazy small wire gauge and knock off connectors that don't mate well with real XLR connectors.
Look at CBI, Whirlwind or upper end Rapco.

James Paul

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2022, 04:40:08 PM »

DO NOT buy a Seismic Audio splitter, they are total crap, crazy small wire gauge and knock off connectors that don't mate well with real XLR connectors.
Look at CBI, Whirlwind or upper end Rapco.
I concur. EWI is a worthy contender with Neutrik option if planned heavy use.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2022, 04:40:08 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 22 queries.