ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Help needed with ETA power disto.  (Read 2714 times)

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
Help needed with ETA power disto.
« on: April 05, 2011, 07:34:28 pm »

The venue I work at has an ETA PD-66 distro with 4 20amp circuits and two 30 amp circuits on "hard wired terminal blocks" inside the unit. All the 20's have edisons on the back but we've not done anything with the 30's as they only have internal terminal blocks. They're just sitting there unused. Can we make these easily available for extra production needs like small light packages and such and what would be an appropriate way to do this? The ETA has all the edisons on the back which is fine for our in house needs but we'd really like to have some more accessible location like the front of the rack or a second rack.

I'm not going to do the work myself I don't enough about juice to be comfortable working on distro's. We'll have a licensed electrician do the work.

Our venue is not large and we rarely have extra production. Our ceilings are low and that often rules out large supplemental lighting anyway. The packages that do show up are usually mostly LED, hazers and strobes. Occasionally we've hired a larger monitor rig and desk.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 08:33:50 pm by Marsellus Fariss »
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

Geoff Doane

• Halifax, NS
Re: Help needed with ETA power disto.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 08:32:33 pm »

The venue I work at has an ETA PD-66 distro with 4 20amp circuits and two 30 amp circuits on "had wired terminal blocks" inside the unit.

I assume you meant "hard wired" or maybe "hand wired"?

I Googled the thing, and from what I can tell, it looks like the 30A circuits aren't much use to you.  I would get the electrician to change the 30A breakers to 20A, and then wire them to another pair of edisons in boxes on a blank rack panel below the distro.  The electricain should know what kind of wire (SO, BX or whatever) is required to do this properly.

GTD

Marsellus Fariss

• Grey Eagle Music Hall
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 08:42:59 pm »

I assume you meant "hard wired" or maybe "hand wired"?

I Googled the thing, and from what I can tell, it looks like the 30A circuits aren't much use to you.  I would get the electrician to change the 30A breakers to 20A, and then wire them to another pair of edisons in boxes on a blank rack panel below the distro.  The electricain should know what kind of wire (SO, BX or whatever) is required to do this properly.

GTD

Yea, thanks edited my typo. I should just stop posting from my iPhone. I can't type on the damn thing.  :-\

Anyway.... That's a pretty good idea.

What would be the intended uses of 30's on hard wiring terminals?
Marsellus Fariss
Production Manager
Grey Eagle Music Hall

Ambassador to Clubland
"Welcome to Clubland! Here's a Sharpie and your input list. Its 30 minutes till doors."

Quote from: dick rees
Just accept that it's a crap situation and take the money.

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 01:31:52 am »

Or just snap off the "Tab" on the hot side of 2 of the existing 20 amp Edisons.

Next connect your replacement 20 breakers to whatever screw is not being used (On the Hot side).

Note, Many Distros are "Back Stabbed" meaning the screws are not used and the wire is just pushed into the back of the Receptacle. I recommend using the screw.

Now both the top and bottom plugs are on a separate circuit (On the 2 you rewired).

I am guessing that right now, one 20 amp breaker is feeding one "Duplex Receptacle" (2 plugs, one top and one bottom).

Now each "Duplex Receptacle" that you rewired (2) has 2-20 amp circuit.

The materials your Electrician needs are the 2- 20 amp breakers and a small amount of #12 wire.

No need for anything else except proper marking of the reworked circuits.

Regards,  John

Mike McNany

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 02:29:32 pm »

Note, Many Distros are "Back Stabbed" meaning the screws are not used and the wire is just pushed into the back of the Receptacle. I recommend using the screw.

Maybe I'm only used to working with home use receptacles but my only experience with "back stabbed" connections only work with 14awg solid wire, the 12awg is too big.

Mike McNany

John Livings

• Los Angeles, California
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 05:23:04 pm »

[Maybe I'm only used to working with home use receptacles but my only experience with "back stabbed" connections only work with 14awg solid wire, the 12awg is too big.]

I should have been more clear,

We are talking about using a 20 amp receptacle connected to a 20 amp breaker.

It sounds like you are describing a 15 amp receptacle connected to a 15 amp (Hopefully) breaker using #14 AWG wire.

On the back of most devices (switches and Receptacles) you should see the "Rating" (In Amps) and the wire size recommended for "Back Stabbing"

A google search will show the difference between a 15 and 20 amp Duplex Receptacle.

Regards,  John

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 21 queries.