ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Are Wireless 58s just....BAD?  (Read 2710 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Re: Are Wireless 58s just....BAD?
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2022, 12:51:41 PM »

Next time you have the mic in your hands, try jingling some keys in front of the capsule and see what you hear. The "key test" was the terror of RF mic exhibitors on trade show floors for a long time. What it does, is see how the companding circuitry in the RF link deals with transients. A really, really good system will give you the sound of jingling keys, cheaper (and cheaper, and cheaper...) systems will give you a series of muffled thumps as the compander circuit tries to deal. So, if your singer is suddenly in front of some raging cymbals, the audio quality of the mic may take a dive.
WRT some other responses, I would argue that drop outs and poor RF link are going to be audible as their own thing and not a reflection on the capsule being used. I would also second the suggestion to make sure you are dealing with a genuine SM-58 capsule, even from Shure, as they have some cheaper versions that look similar.

The Ike is wise. Listen to the Ike...  :)

Seriously, the key thing is golden. Great tip!
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2022, 02:10:52 PM »

{...} A really, really good system will give you the sound of jingling keys, cheaper (and cheaper, and cheaper...) systems will give you a series of muffled thumps as the compander circuit tries to deal. {...}

I think Sennheiser disagrees with your price/key-test-performance correlation: in my experience the HDX compander found in their cheaper gear tends to do way better with the key test than their flagship HiDyn plus. Of course, if you throw a fader labelled "Chorus" and simultaneously open a few dozen channels-worth of SK 100 G4s, the audible noise floor increase makes it pretty clear why their flagship product has the more aggressive compander.

Digital isn't perfect, but one thing I don't miss when using it is having to worry so much about the interactions between the companding circuit and the signal's contents.

-Russ

Daniel Levi

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2022, 05:08:29 PM »

Of course, it could be some old non-shure wireless with a sm58 head that's seen better days, there were a few manufacturers back in the day that had sm58 heads as an option, TOA, Trantec and Samson are just some of them.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2022, 05:08:29 PM »

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 24 queries.