ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Recommended SD cards for the X-Live card?  (Read 1068 times)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Recommended SD cards for the X-Live card?
« on: September 25, 2022, 12:25:48 PM »

Recommended SD cards for the X-Live card?

I know that the specifications are to use SDHC cards no bigger than 32gig. I also know that there is a way around this size limitation, but I am not interested in discussing that in this thread. 

I just want to know in the USA what standard commercially available 32s SDHC cards do any of you recommend buying. What are the brands and the exact model #s? And if there are any that should never be used for something like this I would like to know that also. I am looking for the full size SDHC card not a Micro with an adaptor.

I am thinking of getting some of these cards -  SanDisk 32GB Ultra SDHC UHS-I Memory Card - 120MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD. I understand that the Class 10 (C10) is a fast card and should be good for this kind of use.

This is for a musical that will be shot with a few cameras and edited later. There will be an X32 Compact mixer in the pit to multitrack the pit orchestra (around 15 mics) plus one track that will be a sub mix of the vocal mics sent to the X-Live card from the FOH mixer. The vocal mics will be going into the FOH mixer thru a Midas DL32. We have done this a few times before but we haven’t recorded the pit multitracking them. The pit is large enough that we won’t be micing them for amplification, only for the recording for video. 

Bob Stone

Re: Recommended SD cards for the X-Live card?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2022, 12:32:29 PM »

I've had good luck with SanDisk cards in general, not specifically in this application, but across my video equipment (gopros, drones, mirrorless cameras, dslrs). Though the ones in my security cameras don't hold up long term, usually get a couple years before they start to fail and need replacing, but this is just the high volume of continuous writes 24/7.

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2022, 01:19:53 PM »

I've had good luck with SanDisk cards in general, not specifically in this application, but across my video equipment (gopros, drones, mirrorless cameras, dslrs). Though the ones in my security cameras don't hold up long term, usually get a couple years before they start to fail and need replacing, but this is just the high volume of continuous writes 24/7.

Thank you for that reply. These will get very little use. One or 2 cards per show (Musical that they only shoot 2 performances of) then copied into a DAW for mixing and not used again till the next show.

I was tempted to buy them on Amazon but there were some bad reviews that said they may be knockoffs.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 02:03:15 PM »

Thank you for that reply. These will get very little use. One or 2 cards per show (Musical that they only shoot 2 performances of) then copied into a DAW for mixing and not used again till the next show.

I was tempted to buy them on Amazon but there were some bad reviews that said they may be knockoffs.

Sadly, knockoff SD cards are extremely common. Even reputable dealers sometimes end up with knockoff inventory without knowing it.
Brian Jojade

Bob Stone

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 05:45:34 PM »

Make sure they are shipped and sold by amazon, not just fulfilled or any third party.

Tim Halligan

« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 10:25:13 PM »

I am thinking of getting some of these cards -  SanDisk 32GB Ultra SDHC UHS-I Memory Card - 120MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD.

I have a pair of Sandisk Extreme Pro 32GB SDHC UHS-I Memory Cards - that are 95MB/s, C10, U1...and a similar use-case to yours, and they work perfectly...and have done so for the last couple of years.

My rig is a full X32, with the Klark Teknik version of the X-Live card.

Assuming that you get the genuine Sandisk cards - I didn't even realise there was a counterfeiting problem - then the cards you are looking at should be more than adequate.

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Mark Norgren

• Mark Norgren
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2022, 07:20:43 AM »

I too use Sandisk 64's in both sides of my M32R and never had a problem.  I formated them on my Macbook before i put them in.  FWIW

Jay Marr

« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2022, 04:47:35 PM »

Sandisk Ultra 64.
Reformat as Fat32 and works perfectly.
I've left it tracking for 2hrs straight....has been flawless so far.

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 10:34:47 AM »

I bought 4 of these cards to start with - SanDisk 32GB Ultra SDHC UHS-I Memory Card - 120MB/s, C10, U1, Full HD. I then ran the speed test using AJA_Systemtest and the results I got using the built in SD card reader in my computer was a write speed of 30MB/SEC and a read speed of 80MB/SEC. I am finding a lot of information about recording speeds for Video but not for Audio. But from what I can find this looks like it is more than fast enough for recording the Audio using the X-Live card in the X32 Compact. And it looks like this is also capable of recording 16 tracks for just over 3hrs, as you said. And I can always use 2 cards in the X-Live just to be sure I have enough space. 

The X-Live card Quick Start Guide from Behringer says

5.2 Recording and File Management
Audio recording on the X-LIVE card can accommodate either 8, 16, or 32-channel sessions of 44.1/48 kHz / 32-bit PCM WAV files. As soon as recording is initiated to one of the SD cards, a new session is automatically created, allowing the entire take to be organized cohesively. To ensure continuous recording of the entire performance, a recording session that has started on one card can seamlessly span over to the other card slot when the first becomes full. In this case, the same session name will appear on both cards.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2022, 10:34:47 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 24 queries.