ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audient EVO USB Interfaces  (Read 3027 times)

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Audient EVO USB Interfaces
« on: September 22, 2022, 12:50:29 AM »

Just in case anyone's interested, I wanted to mention that I recently started using an Audient EVO 4 with Smaart. I hadn't heard of until I bought it (I think it's pretty new) but it seemed ideal for quick-and-dirty measurement work: a bus-powered USB interface with two recallable headamps (and separate phantom power switching for each input) and an internal loopback interface in a conveniently small package (and for less money than a Scarlet 2i2).

I do have some nitpicks about the software (e.g. there doesn't seem to be an easy way to set the input gain numerically, although I might have found a work-around), and the loopback interface is all-digital (so it introduces absolutely no time or magnitude changes to the signal, unlike the analogue inputs which are, unsurprisingly, not perfectly mag-and-phase flat, although for my work they're close enough), but otherwise I've been very happy, particularly with its size and features.

FWIW, the other EVO interfaces look like they might also be useful for measurement work: the EVO 8 is a bus-powered, recallable headamp 4x4 USB interface (also with internal loopback), and the EVO 16 is 8x8 with an internal power supply (and, for what it's worth, quite a bit cheaper than an Octa-Capture).

That said, I don't believe Smaart provides gain tracking for EVO-series interfaces like it does for the Octa-Capture (but since Rational Acoustics have started selling the EVO 4 themselves I'm hoping it's only a matter of time?).

-Russ

Andy_Leviss

Re: Audient EVO USB Interfaces
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2023, 08:13:04 PM »

Just popping in for anybody who might see this in the future to note that Smaart 9.1 does, indeed, support gain tracking/control of the Evo 4/8/16. They're pretty much what Rational is at least unofficially recommending now, it seems, since the Octa-Capture is getting pretty long in the tooth.
Andy Leviss
Broadway/Concert/Corporate/Broadcast Sound Engineer
ETCP Certified Entertainment Electrian, AVIXA CTS
IATSE Local 1, USA829

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2023, 09:26:20 PM »

Just popping in for anybody who might see this in the future to note that Smaart 9.1 does, indeed, support gain tracking/control of the Evo 4/8/16. They're pretty much what Rational is at least unofficially recommending now, it seems, since the Octa-Capture is getting pretty long in the tooth.

I have both an Octa-Capture and an EVO4 and I prefer the EVO. Much lighter to carry, no big power brick, and easier to use.

Mac

Victor Sieniewicz

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 12:50:14 PM »

Just in case anyone's interested, I wanted to mention that I recently started using an Audient EVO 4 with Smaart. I hadn't heard of until I bought it (I think it's pretty new) but it seemed ideal for quick-and-dirty measurement work: a bus-powered USB interface with two recallable headamps (and separate phantom power switching for each input) and an internal loopback interface in a conveniently small package (and for less money than a Scarlet 2i2).

I do have some nitpicks about the software (e.g. there doesn't seem to be an easy way to set the input gain numerically, although I might have found a work-around), and the loopback interface is all-digital (so it introduces absolutely no time or magnitude changes to the signal, unlike the analogue inputs which are, unsurprisingly, not perfectly mag-and-phase flat, although for my work they're close enough), but otherwise I've been very happy, particularly with its size and features.

FWIW, the other EVO interfaces look like they might also be useful for measurement work: the EVO 8 is a bus-powered, recallable headamp 4x4 USB interface (also with internal loopback), and the EVO 16 is 8x8 with an internal power supply (and, for what it's worth, quite a bit cheaper than an Octa-Capture).

That said, I don't believe Smaart provides gain tracking for EVO-series interfaces like it does for the Octa-Capture (but since Rational Acoustics have started selling the EVO 4 themselves I'm hoping it's only a matter of time?).

-Russ

Thanks for this, we are going to purchase a license of Smaart and this looks like the perfect fit, bus powered with USB-C...yes please!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2023, 12:50:14 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 24 queries.