Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Best way to play sound effects through a mixer during production

(1/7) > >>

Rich Gouette:
Hi, I'm about to run sound for a musical theatre show in a week ish.
I am tasked with playing back several external sound effects during the show(timing obviously being crucial)
The board is a small powered board, that features bluetooth, a USB input.. also regular RCA-based inputs(tape), and a few
1/4" stereo channel inputs. (Rockville RPM1870 18 Channel)

I'm pretty skittish to trust bluetooth.. and the USB scares me as well, because of trying to navigate their tiny screen & find sound files...
Would my best bet be to go 1/8" sterea out of a laptop into a 1/4" stereo channel, & use media player etc?

And again, the utmost priority is that I can rapidly choose a sound file, hit play, and have minimal delay between pressing "PLAY", and the sound playing...
I very much welcome any thoughts.

Cheers,
Rich

boburtz:

--- Quote from: Rich Gouette on September 21, 2022, 11:55:26 AM ---Hi, I'm about to run sound for a musical theatre show in a week ish.
I am tasked with playing back several external sound effects during the show(timing obviously being crucial)
The board is a small powered board, that features bluetooth, a USB input.. also regular RCA-based inputs(tape), and a few
1/4" stereo channel inputs. (Rockville RPM1870 18 Channel)

I'm pretty skittish to trust bluetooth.. and the USB scares me as well, because of trying to navigate their tiny screen & find sound files...
Would my best bet be to go 1/8" sterea out of a laptop into a 1/4" stereo channel, & use media player etc?

And again, the utmost priority is that I can rapidly choose a sound file, hit play, and have minimal delay between pressing "PLAY", and the sound playing...
I very much welcome any thoughts.

Cheers,
Rich

--- End quote ---
If you have a macbook, Q-Lab works great, and there is a free version for simple stuff like this. If you are on a pc, Ableton would be my choice, though it is not free.
Both have a learning curve, but if you are a technician neither are difficult to navigate.

John Bosco:

--- Quote from: boburtz on September 21, 2022, 12:43:39 PM ---If you have a macbook, Q-Lab works great, and there is a free version for simple stuff like this. If you are on a pc, Ableton would be my choice, though it is not free.
Both have a learning curve, but if you are a technician neither are difficult to navigate.

--- End quote ---

If you can use your phone there is an app called "Go Button", it doesn't have as many features as Q-Lab, with the free version you can have one show at a time loaded and works great for basic stuff like playing sound effects, but I've use it for ceremonies and stuff like that where the client asks you to play this before that happens, then this and that after such and such, basically I set it up and just hit the button each time I'm suppose to play something, it's pretty easy to use. It's essentially a playlist with stops built in.

Brian Jojade:
Bluetooth: No - for many reasons.

USB - could work if your tracks are organized perfectly. Least gear needed, but potentially cumbersome interface.

So, that leaves you with external effects players.

I personally like physical buttons for this sort of thing, so getting a USB/Midi launch pad to trigger the tracks that play from a computer is a nice way to go.  Less to think about than making sure you mouse over the right track to play.

Rich Gouette:

--- Quote from: Brian Jojade on September 21, 2022, 02:11:17 PM ---Bluetooth: No - for many reasons.

USB - could work if your tracks are organized perfectly. Least gear needed, but potentially cumbersome interface.

So, that leaves you with external effects players.

I personally like physical buttons for this sort of thing, so getting a USB/Midi launch pad to trigger the tracks that play from a computer is a nice way to go.  Less to think about than making sure you mouse over the right track to play.

--- End quote ---

Thanks fellas.. Brian I'm inclined to do it externally via PC
I'll look into that route..
~R

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version