Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Wireless control and Dante networks

<< < (2/5) > >>

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Helge A Bentsen on September 21, 2022, 07:17:31 PM ---Because they’re often not my networks  :)
Think typical rental sotuations where you get a bunch of gear that’s there for one night only.

--- End quote ---

Okay; that explains why you don't want to use static IPs (which is totally fair), but doesn't quite answer my question. To be more specific, why is it important that your Dante devices not use DHCP addresses?

-Russ

Helge A Bentsen:

--- Quote from: Russell Ault on September 21, 2022, 11:48:12 PM ---Okay; that explains why you don't want to use static IPs (which is totally fair), but doesn't quite answer my question. To be more specific, why is it important that your Dante devices not use DHCP addresses?

-Russ

--- End quote ---

Because I’m sometimes there for setup only.
If I use DHCP I need to leave my network gear behind IME.

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Helge A Bentsen on September 22, 2022, 02:12:18 AM ---Because I’m sometimes there for setup only.
If I use DHCP I need to leave my network gear behind IME.

--- End quote ---

Hrm, okay; in that case:

* What equipment are you typically trying to control?
* What kinds of computers are you wanting to use wirelessly?
-Russ

Helge A Bentsen:

--- Quote from: Russell Ault on September 22, 2022, 02:09:09 PM ---Hrm, okay; in that case:

* What equipment are you typically trying to control?
* What kinds of computers are you wanting to use wirelessly?
-Russ

--- End quote ---

Very often it's a combination of system drive, wireless mics and console(s).
To use todays setup as an example
- d:live console with Dante cards
- 12 channels of Shure Axient digital
- 8 EAW Anna
- 4 EAW Otto
- Windows PC running EAW Resolution
- MacBook pro with Smaart.

Today everything was hardwired, and I didn't bring a Lake for system drive (no guest consoles), but often I add a Lake and a second Windows computer, it runs Smaart/Lake controller and I remote into that from my MacBook. I would love to have my Lake PC and MacBook on wifi and keep the rest on a cabled network.

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Helge A Bentsen on September 22, 2022, 07:59:34 PM ---Very often it's a combination of system drive, wireless mics and console(s).
To use todays setup as an example
- d:live console with Dante cards
- 12 channels of Shure Axient digital
- 8 EAW Anna
- 4 EAW Otto
- Windows PC running EAW Resolution
- MacBook pro with Smaart.

Today everything was hardwired, and I didn't bring a Lake for system drive (no guest consoles), but often I add a Lake and a second Windows computer, it runs Smaart/Lake controller and I remote into that from my MacBook. I would love to have my Lake PC and MacBook on wifi and keep the rest on a cabled network.

--- End quote ---

Okay, great, so, next question (which wouldn't have applied if you had mentioned the word "Android"): why is it important that your control devices use DHCP addresses (and not just link-local like everything else)?

-Russ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version