Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Shure 527c PTT mic for shout box use

(1/1)

Todd Friemuth:
I recently found several Shure 527c PTT mics at an estate sale recently for $1 each. I am interested in trying one out with my shout box setup. My formal education is in chemistry and not electronics. Would someone more well read than myself in the electronics field be willing to glance over the schematic for this mic and see if its possible to terminate this mic to an XLR plug? Appears that some DC needs to be injected somewhere in the path to drive the internal amplifier circuit. Is this necessary and if so, would phantom power be too much and kill it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Todd

Shure 527C

Art Welter:

--- Quote from: Todd Friemuth on September 20, 2022, 05:31:06 AM ---I recently found several Shure 527c PTT mics at an estate sale recently for $1 each. I am interested in trying one out with my shout box setup. My formal education is in chemistry and not electronics. Would someone more well read than myself in the electronics field be willing to glance over the schematic for this mic and see if its possible to terminate this mic to an XLR plug? Appears that some DC needs to be injected somewhere in the path to drive the internal amplifier circuit. Is this necessary and if so, would phantom power be too much and kill it? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Regards, Todd

--- End quote ---
Todd,
The 527c manual states "voltages exceeding 35 Vdc may substantially reduce the life of the microphone", so 48v phantom power may kill the amp circuit unless voltage is dropped. A dropping resistor (RL) may be prudent.

The mic element itself is dynamic and could be wired through the switch to pins 2 and 3 of an XLR without requiring the transistor amp, if your "shout box setup" has enough gain to not require a pre-amp.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version