ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Srx cartiod sub question  (Read 2520 times)

Michael Mills

Srx cartiod sub question
« on: September 20, 2022, 12:28:44 AM »

About to purchase 4 srx 828sp..
Having recently heard proper cartiod setups, and my own experience playing with multiple QSC kw118s in cartiod, my question is.. will adding 2 srx 818s to the  purchase order, and placing 1 818 behind 2 stacked 828s offer enough cancelation to achieve a good cartiod setup

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
Re: Srx cartiod sub question
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2022, 08:29:48 AM »

About to purchase 4 srx 828sp..
Having recently heard proper cartiod setups, and my own experience playing with multiple QSC kw118s in cartiod, my question is.. will adding 2 srx 818s to the  purchase order, and placing 1 818 behind 2 stacked 828s offer enough cancelation to achieve a good cartiod setup
In a directional sub setup ( cardioid or endfire) it is always BEST to use the same model sub (not just the same manufacturer) in order to get the most subtraction/cancellation at the rear and the most addition in front.

If you have the tools and the knowledge to be able get the same freq AND phase response (across the freq range), then you can use different model subs.  Most people don't have that ability however.

You will get "some" cancellation, and it might be enough for your needs by using different model subs, but not the best overall performance

Also many people wrongly assume that a directional setup is always best  I NEVER use it, unless the rear rejection is more important than the sound out front.  And yes, there are times in which the rear rejection for people not at the event IS more important.

There are always compromises when doing directional setups, especially cardioid.  The SPL out front will not be as loud as if you just used the same number of boxes and had them stacked or side by side.  The punch/impact of a cardioid sub setup is less that all facing forward.  The low freq extension is less with cardioid than all facing forward.

An endfire setup sounds better, but has less rejection over a narrower range.

So it depends on what is most important to you and a particular gig/setup.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2022, 10:54:40 AM »

Also many people wrongly assume that a directional setup is always best  I NEVER use it, unless the rear rejection is more important than the sound out front.  And yes, there are times in which the rear rejection for people not at the event IS more important.

We started doing directional subwoofer arrays 12-14 years ago, for Weird Al Yankovic and mostly have not stopped.  A couple years ago I did conventional left/right sub stacks for another artist and my monitor engineer called over the radio, "what the hell did I do to you?"  He was accustomed to the rear cancellation and ended up unhappy with getting an LF massage...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Ivan Beaver

• Atlanta GA
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 01:40:04 PM »

We started doing directional subwoofer arrays 12-14 years ago, for Weird Al Yankovic and mostly have not stopped.  A couple years ago I did conventional left/right sub stacks for another artist and my monitor engineer called over the radio, "what the hell did I do to you?"  He was accustomed to the rear cancellation and ended up unhappy with getting an LF massage...
It can make a huge difference in monitor world-as well as other places.

When done properly (I have seen lots of times it is not done properly, mainly because people don't understand what is happening-and they start to "think") it can be quite amazing behind the PA.

I have, however, had some promoters complain about the lack of sound behind the PA (which is where they are standing) and saying it was not loud enough.

As with most things, one persons advantage is anothers disadvantage.
A complex question is easily answered by a simple-easy to understand WRONG answer!

Ivan Beaver
Danley Sound Labs

PHYSICS- NOT FADS!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2022, 01:40:04 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.