ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: pastor's wireless ocassionally loud popping/static !  (Read 3673 times)

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: pastor's wireless ocassionally loud popping/static !
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2023, 10:30:14 AM »

thank you Kevin... I'll make the recommended changes. Antennas are only what's on the rack units themselves, not a distro.  Over the past couple years (before I arrived) they had the wireless rack stage side, same issues would arise. They moved the wireless rack to the FOH position about 18 months ago. Again, the pastor can go for a couple months at a time without the issue. Church is not that large, excluding the balcony, our seating is about 350 on the floor with no drop-outs experienced.  I really appreciate you taking the time to review this. Wonderful forum here...cause of pros like you.   ET

I prefer that the wireless receivers are as close to the stage as possible. And I find that a good antenna distro system is the best way to deal with the antennas. And all of the Shure receivers I regularly use have an Ethernet port and we use a dumb network switch and run an Ethernet cable to FOH and I can then monitor all of the wireless mics on a computer running WWB.

It looks to me like the SLXD4D has Ethernet ports and it might be able to be used like I do with WWB monitoring them at FOH. It is actually much quicker to see what is happening on WWB in monitor mode with the wireless then looking at the receivers themselves.

Also it doesn’t take much sweat getting into the connector to make the kind of noise you are describing. That is why I suggested looking for the green residue it is a sign of sweat reacting to metal. Is the stage carpeted? Does this only seem to happen when the weather is cold and the heat is in use in the church? If you walk across the stage and touch metal do you get a shock. I was in one church that if I walked across the stage and touched anything even wood I would get a shock. That surprised me, you could say it was shocking. It has been a really long time but in the past I have had a static problem when people wore certain clothing. There was one portable staging I had to regularly deal with that had a carpet over it and I regularly had a static problem. The only thing that worked to stop it was we had to spray the carpet with Static Guard. Nothing else worked and we tried everything.

What mixer are you using and does it use a remote digital stage box?

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2023, 11:09:38 AM »

Your Guest mic and your Extra HH1 are in one of the prohibited 600Mhz ranges. I put in the zip code of this location and the 600Mhz prohibited ranges and all but those 2 look OK. It would be better to be able to do an actual scan and you may be able to do that with these SLXD4D receivers with WWB.

The entire 600mhz band is NOT prohibited, just a large chunk of it.  614-616 is still available for use.  The SLXD is designed for the legal frequency use.  Since it's a new design after the auction, Shure wouldn't have been able to sell them if they could be used on an illegal frequency.

The 657-663 frequency range would be dangerous to use for wireless mics, as it's designated for 'white space' devices. These are devices that would come and go on a moment's notice at random frequencies within that range.

In any case, there are several 600mhz frequencies that are perfectly legal to use in the USA.

596-602 MHz: 6 MHz (unlicensed operators)
602-608 MHz: 6 MHz (unlicensed operators)
608-614 MHz: 6 MHz (Reserved)
614-616 MHz: 2 MHz (unlicensed operators, up to 20mW)
616-617 MHz: 1 MHz buffer (unavailable for use)
Duplex Gap

652-653 MHz: 1 MHz buffer (unavailable for use)
653-657 MHz: 4 MHz (exclusive to licensed operators)
657-663 MHz: 6 MHz (unlicensed and White Space Devices, upt to 20 mW (WSD)

https://content-files.shure.com/OriginFiles/BlogPosts/Tell%20Me%20About%20Wireless%20Mic%20Frequencies/Wireless%20Microphone%20Frequencies%20Chart%20-%20US_LTR_EN.jpg
Brian Jojade

Ed Taylor

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2023, 02:51:11 PM »

I prefer that the wireless receivers are as close to the stage as possible. And I find that a good antenna distro system is the best way to deal with the antennas. And all of the Shure receivers I regularly use have an Ethernet port and we use a dumb network switch and run an Ethernet cable to FOH and I can then monitor all of the wireless mics on a computer running WWB.

It looks to me like the SLXD4D has Ethernet ports and it might be able to be used like I do with WWB monitoring them at FOH. It is actually much quicker to see what is happening on WWB in monitor mode with the wireless then looking at the receivers themselves.

Also it doesn’t take much sweat getting into the connector to make the kind of noise you are describing. That is why I suggested looking for the green residue it is a sign of sweat reacting to metal. Is the stage carpeted? Does this only seem to happen when the weather is cold and the heat is in use in the church? If you walk across the stage and touch metal do you get a shock. I was in one church that if I walked across the stage and touched anything even wood I would get a shock. That surprised me, you could say it was shocking. It has been a really long time but in the past I have had a static problem when people wore certain clothing. There was one portable staging I had to regularly deal with that had a carpet over it and I regularly had a static problem. The only thing that worked to stop it was we had to spray the carpet with Static Guard. Nothing else worked and we tried everything.

What mixer are you using and does it use a remote digital stage box?
actually...things tend to get wierd when we have heavy rain (and it was raining last Sunday during service. Our building is not well grounded. I have to run hum cancellors on pretty much everything from guitars on down.  The stage floor is not carpeted and static isn't typically an issue. We've had this occasional problem back when the receivers were stage side as well.  Mix console is a Midas M32 analog snake from stage and then CAT from the console back to the 2nd M32 in the back with all the stream team.
I'll do a deep clean of the headsets. 
thanks again!

ET

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2023, 05:39:00 PM »

This is correct. And, the Dual receivers share Antenna and Ethernet ports, which reduces cabling.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2023, 06:10:01 PM »

actually...things tend to get wierd when we have heavy rain (and it was raining last Sunday during service. Our building is not well grounded. I have to run hum cancellors on pretty much everything from guitars on down.  The stage floor is not carpeted and static isn't typically an issue. We've had this occasional problem back when the receivers were stage side as well.  Mix console is a Midas M32 analog snake from stage and then CAT from the console back to the 2nd M32 in the back with all the stream team.
I'll do a deep clean of the headsets. 
thanks again!

ET

Sounds like you have some other under lying issues going on as well.

Are you using an end to end shielded CAT cable connection between mixers? The needed shielded CAT cable between a stage box to an X or M32 is well documented.

During the sermon is there any other audio source into the system or is it just the headset mic?

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2023, 06:11:42 PM »

The entire 600mhz band is NOT prohibited, just a large chunk of it.  614-616 is still available for use.  The SLXD is designed for the legal frequency use.  Since it's a new design after the auction, Shure wouldn't have been able to sell them if they could be used on an illegal frequency.

The 657-663 frequency range would be dangerous to use for wireless mics, as it's designated for 'white space' devices. These are devices that would come and go on a moment's notice at random frequencies within that range.

In any case, there are several 600mhz frequencies that are perfectly legal to use in the USA.

596-602 MHz: 6 MHz (unlicensed operators)
602-608 MHz: 6 MHz (unlicensed operators)
608-614 MHz: 6 MHz (Reserved)
614-616 MHz: 2 MHz (unlicensed operators, up to 20mW)
616-617 MHz: 1 MHz buffer (unavailable for use)
Duplex Gap

652-653 MHz: 1 MHz buffer (unavailable for use)
653-657 MHz: 4 MHz (exclusive to licensed operators)
657-663 MHz: 6 MHz (unlicensed and White Space Devices, upt to 20 mW (WSD)

https://content-files.shure.com/OriginFiles/BlogPosts/Tell%20Me%20About%20Wireless%20Mic%20Frequencies/Wireless%20Microphone%20Frequencies%20Chart%20-%20US_LTR_EN.jpg

I am aware of that. That is why I said "one of the prohibited 600Mhz ranges". I didn't think he needed all of the details of the exact frequencies.  One of us is using older data. I have that the 614-616Mhz is not available and that the power limit in the unlicensed gaps is 10mw.

Your chart is from December 2020. I have searched and can’t find the document that gave me the data that I have been using. Which if your data is up to date mine is a bit more paranoid.  And I think the only difference is I don’t have the 614-616 as available and I have the power as restricted to 10mw. I may have gotten this from a handout at an AES training class. I am still looking to confirm my information. But online it looks like your chart is correct. But I thought that there was a valid reason to stay away from anything from 608 – 653Mhz and if unlicensed also from 653-657Mhz  and from 663.698 up to thru 700Mhz.

So based on all of that my telling Ed to change the 2 channels to different frequencies may not be absolutely necessary but I personally would still stay as far away from above 608Mhz as possible. But that may be just me. 

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2023, 01:32:30 AM »

I am aware of that. That is why I said "one of the prohibited 600Mhz ranges". I didn't think he needed all of the details of the exact frequencies.  One of us is using older data. I have that the 614-616Mhz is not available and that the power limit in the unlicensed gaps is 10mw.

Your chart is from December 2020. I have searched and can’t find the document that gave me the data that I have been using. Which if your data is up to date mine is a bit more paranoid.  And I think the only difference is I don’t have the 614-616 as available and I have the power as restricted to 10mw. I may have gotten this from a handout at an AES training class. I am still looking to confirm my information. But online it looks like your chart is correct. But I thought that there was a valid reason to stay away from anything from 608 – 653Mhz and if unlicensed also from 653-657Mhz  and from 663.698 up to thru 700Mhz.

So based on all of that my telling Ed to change the 2 channels to different frequencies may not be absolutely necessary but I personally would still stay as far away from above 608Mhz as possible. But that may be just me.

My data comes directly from the SHURE website.  I'm pretty shure (pun intended) that they would not intentionally sell a product that was illegal on a new product line released after the change in frequencies happened.
Brian Jojade

BrianSimmons

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2023, 01:50:42 PM »

Shure SLXD1 pack using a Shure Twinplex headband.
We might go for 2-3 months with no issue and then on a ramdom morning, he'll be mid-sermon and it starts popping. I'm thinking it's in the headset as we have quickly swapped out belt packs and still have the issue. Post service, I put it on, walk the room, move all around..can not get it to misbehave.
Typical morning for us is 8 handheld wireless, no other wireless no IEMs, guitar etc. Everything else is tethered.
We have moved the receiver from FOH desk up onto stage, etc.  I'm ready to spend money on another headband, but hoping someone has experienced similar and has the answer.. many thanks

It's very common for headset mic cables to break.  It may be a small break/crack that results in intermittent noise, but that would be my first guess as to the issue you are experiencing.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2023, 01:50:42 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.