ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Hanging mic recommendations  (Read 5054 times)

Dwayne Aasberg

Hanging mic recommendations
« on: September 19, 2022, 08:52:23 PM »

Good evening.

We intend to install two hanging mics over the seating area of our sanctuary to gather crowd singing/responses during webcasts.  Our first intention was to use a pair of Shure MX202 as we have experience with those for our choir.  However, flipping the screens of the modern Yellow Pages (St. Google) I've discovered Shure CVO and Audio-Technica Pro 45 as potential alternates.

The mics will be hung so they point directly away from the flown speaker array at the front of the sanctuary.  As well, they will never be routed to the FOH mix, they will only feed into the webcast mix.

Can anyone provide pros or cons for any of these alternatives?

Thx in advance for your responses.
Dwayne A
Just a guy who dabbles.

Dave Pluke

• Northwest GA, USA
    • BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: Hanging mic recommendations
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 10:43:57 PM »

The mics will be hung so they point directly away from the flown speaker array at the front of the sanctuary.  As well, they will never be routed to the FOH mix, they will only feed into the webcast mix.

Also be careful not to pick up HVAC noise. A notch filter may be required to cut some paper-rustling frequencies.

Haven't used any of the mics you mentioned (have used Earthworks for Choirs and low cost LDCs for Audience) but, if you're happy with the MX202, why not be consistent?

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

william adams

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2022, 03:18:25 PM »

Good evening.

We intend to install two hanging mics over the seating area of our sanctuary to gather crowd singing/responses during webcasts.  Our first intention was to use a pair of Shure MX202 as we have experience with those for our choir.  However, flipping the screens of the modern Yellow Pages (St. Google) I've discovered Shure CVO and Audio-Technica Pro 45 as potential alternates.

Dwayne A

As a viewer I would say do not do that. YMMV.

If you insist beware of standing waves and echoes where you put them.  DA already noted HVAC noise
Might survey home viewers to se what they say before deciding.

Rick Earl

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 04:04:00 PM »

I do a lot of broadcast audio for sports, which includes crowd mics.  Most "hanging mics" are not that great.  I prefer rigging a good mic and letting that hang, it is not much more intrusive and you get a better sounding mic.  ACE backstage and AEA both mic mic hangers slugs.  Right now we have been using OKTAVA MK-102 "Film Kit" mics which are a hyper-cardioid capsule and a HPF in a nice pencil condenser package.  They are prices right, rugged and you can avoid HVA noise, etc.  We will deploy 5 of them this weekend (in the rain) for a football game.     You can experiment with mic stands before you go to the trouble to hang, to make sure placement works and gives you what you need.   I also recommend active mixing of you broadcast mix, as you probably don't want them up all the time for certain parts of the service. 

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Lowestoft - UK
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 03:33:17 PM »

Oddly, as soon as you said not for PA, I breathed out. For the webcast, I'd be happy with flown mics. The biggest annoyance I ever get is that they are aimed not just at the people, but their feet - so if their feet make noises, you get them.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2022, 09:27:43 AM »

Hanging mic are fine for room, ambient, congregation singing, just keep them away from air vents.

Hanging mics for choirs....in my opinion not so great. Much better results with even average mics on stands pointed at the choir.

Dwayne Aasberg

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 10:16:44 AM »

I prefer rigging a good mic and letting that hang, it is not much more intrusive and you get a better sounding mic.

What is 'rigging' and 'letting that hang'?

You can experiment with mic stands before you go to the trouble to hang, to make sure placement works and gives you what you need.   I also recommend active mixing of you broadcast mix, as you probably don't want them up all the time for certain parts of the service.

Have been doing both for over a year now.  Getting tired of people kicking the mic stands, or moving them so they aren't 'pointing' at them in the congregation.  Have had good quality sound when not interfered with.  Yes, and active mixing is key.

Will start experimenting with actual hanging mics in next weeks.

D
Just a guy who dabbles.

Rick Earl

« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2022, 12:17:42 PM »

What is 'rigging' and 'letting that hang'?
Using something like this: https://www.acebackstage.com/product/microphone-hanger-slug/

or this: https://www.aearibbonmics.com/products/long-microphone-hanger/

or if you're handy, see how those are made and roll your own.

Pat Hamp

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2022, 03:59:04 PM »

Also be careful not to pick up HVAC noise. A notch filter may be required to cut some paper-rustling frequencies.

Haven't used any of the mics you mentioned (have used Earthworks for Choirs and low cost LDCs for Audience) but, if you're happy with the MX202, why not be consistent?

Dave

Been there done that, do a check of the noise floor with an analyzer and if possible, record the session so you can figure out what frequencies you need to address. If its variable speed air handlers, make sure it's on high and check in both heat and AC mode.  Also are the ducts vaned or regulated to reduce noise?  I worked in a church once where the GC for build didn't have an acoustician look at his mechanicals and the place was 80 plus until the fan speeds were adjusted and duct work was insulated and vaned. It's amazing what the base ambient noise level can be depending on construction and configuration. Best of luck.

BrianSimmons

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 01:56:22 PM »

Good evening.

Dwayne A

Are these going to supplement other crowd mics, or will these be your first?

If it's your first, I'd suggest trying out some other spare mics that you might have access to before deciding to purchase more equipment.  Crowd mics don't need to be flown over the audience to be effective.  Most facilities will have crowd mics located on the stage pointed at the crowd.  You can try these arrangement with what you already have and see if the results are acceptable.

Of course if you already have those types of mics and want to supplement them, then adding some hanging mics might work well, although shotgun mics can work well too (might be mounted on side walls pointed across the audience or up high pointed down)
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 04:27:19 PM by BrianSimmons »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2023, 01:56:22 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.043 seconds with 24 queries.