ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: small analog mixer suggestions  (Read 5147 times)

Robert Piascik

• Westerville, OH (near Columbus)
Re: small analog mixer suggestions
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2022, 09:41:40 PM »

… if I were in your position...  something like an XR/MR 18, UI-24 is what I personally would be doing.  Once acustomed to feature rich digital boards, for me there is no turning back.

I agree with this, how much smaller can you get than MR/XR series and way more capability than anything analogue. The eq flexibility alone makes it worth it IMHO.
Pi Entertainment Services
Midas M32R / MR18
Behringer X32R
Danley SH50 / SM80 / TH118 / TH115
Fulcrum Acoustic fa22ac
RCF NX 12SMA
Yamaha DSR112 / DZR10
Powersoft X4 / M50Q
Crown iT8k

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2022, 11:12:25 PM »

Not analog, but small and capable:  Behringer Flow8.
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Bradford "BJ" James

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2022, 11:37:07 PM »

Without cross referencing all of your requirements, my favorite small-format analog mixer these days is the Soundcraft Signature series.  I believe they have versions with USB interface.  Great sound quality and build quality.

I also have an Allen Heath Zed i 8 that has been great so far.

The Yamaha MG series were pretty unimpressive to me, both in sound and build quality.  Same with most Mackies iI've used in the last decade.
+1 We have a few of the SC Signature Series. Nice build quality. 
I’m a big fan of Yamaha gear, but as mentioned, the MG series is VERY entry level and plastic-y.
Proud Canadian dealer for Danley Sound Labs, A&H, Yamaha, QSC, Yorkville and more.

Dave Jarrell

« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2022, 06:33:35 PM »

Yep, caught that. The AG is an interesting little box, would be curious to hear your review. Prob not what I'm looking for though. I'm guessing you have to connect to a computer to adjust the comp/eq/reverb/etc as I only see an on/off switch. Also lack of XLR for outputs would be annoying.....I don't have many long TRS cables or TRS/XLR adapters, tons of XLR cables though. I like the USB power option though.

I guess my thoughts are if I'm forced to bring a computer I might as well bring my Ui24R or even just an 8ch audio interface and mix it from a DAW. The option of connecting to a computer is great, but if I need the computer just for eq adjustments then it doesn't make sense to me. I think the AG is well targeted towards live streaming applications though. Could be the perfect box for a lot of people.
I didn’t know if you guys were aware, but the AG mixers now have a phone app……..just connect to the mixer with your phone and make the needed comp, eq, and fix adjustments. 

Dave Jarrell

« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2022, 09:33:11 PM »

I didn’t know if you guys were aware, but the AG mixers now have a phone app……..just connect to the mixer with your phone and make the needed comp, eq, and fix adjustments.
The app is AG Controller…..

JohnReeve

• Honkytonk Sound Guy who can travel.
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2022, 09:58:35 PM »

I agree with this, how much smaller can you get than MR/XR series and way more capability than anything analogue. The eq flexibility alone makes it worth it IMHO.

For the bands I am in, I have an xr18 and a Yamaha MG124-CX.

You are correct that there is a lot more flexibility in the XR18, especially in terms of processing.

But there are a lot of gigs where I much prefer the cheap-o MG mixer even through it's quite a bit more limited in what it can do.

If I am only doing one monitor mix and I am on stage, I much prefer the Yamaha to the XR18.  It's mostly just mental overhead: I don't have to bring a portable network interface and mix on a second device (and bring a backup for that device).  And while I don't mind running shows from an iPad for bands, when I am performing it causes enough friction that I'd just rather not.  Size/weight wise, after I case them up they are pretty much the same size/weight, so not for me to save there.

One thing I will say--- I went ahead and put in a pelican that cost almost as much as the used price I paid for the mixer.  But it's lasted nicely over the last 5 years and I anticipate it working well for several more years.  Plus I can keep the annoying wall wart and TRS->XLR out for the monitor in that case.

To address a question from earlier in the thread, I don't find the one-knob compressor super useful for things like kick drum, but I feel like has been quite useful on voices and I use it frequently for that.  The effects are okay, once you find the one reverb that works for the situation.  The eq feels like it's a pretty blunt tool, especially after spending a lot of time working on peqs that most nicer mixers have.  But it's also padi for itself a couple of times over and has been just fine for my small bands playing restaurants and wineries.

It's as small a mixer as I'd like to use, and I've never wished it was much smaller even when I just my voice, some keys, and some program music for between sets.
See yall at Kerrville Folk Festival!

Richard Penrose

« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2022, 05:31:35 PM »

I highly recommend the A&H ZED or ZEDi mixers. Also the Soundcraft Signature are really nice mixers but a bit big for your requirements

James Paul

« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2022, 01:46:32 AM »

I second this

Scott Bolt

« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2022, 11:56:40 AM »

Right now, there is nothing on the market that comes even close to the Flow 8 in features, sound quality and price for a solo or duo act.

I usually play in a full band, but I will be getting a Flow 8 for my solo and duo work.  It is simply just tooooooo perfect for that job.  Shoot, you can even mount it on your mic stand!

Some day, I will find a subject that I don't agree with Tim on.  Not today though :)

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2022, 01:45:49 PM »

But there are a lot of gigs where I much prefer the cheap-o MG mixer even through it's quite a bit more limited in what it can do.

If I am only doing one monitor mix and I am on stage, I much prefer the Yamaha to the XR18.  It's mostly just mental overhead: I don't have to bring a portable network interface and mix on a second device (and bring a backup for that device).  And while I don't mind running shows from an iPad for bands, when I am performing it causes enough friction that I'd just rather not.  Size/weight wise, after I case them up they are pretty much the same size/weight, so not for me to save there.

Good point. I did a gig yesterday - just myself and a singer, used my Ui24R and ran it from a tablet, backup would have been my phone had the tablet died (For bigger gigs I run the Ui24R from a dedicated computer with an ethernet cable).

The Ui24R was way over kill, screen glare was a problem on the tablet, WiFi link wasn't solid (despite being <3 ft from the mixer), and doing simple things were more complicated than they needed to be (how do I get to the screen for xxxxx from this tablet?). I know the mixer well from the larger interface, but on a small tablet it leaves a lot to be desired.

Had I been just running sound and not performing I'm sure I could have taken advantage of the UI24R's feature set more, but given I was playing guitar (while reading charts for songs I had only heard hours before), running a drum machine (oh joy), and running sound, anything more than levels, simple eq and maybe a touch of vocal reverb or comp was overkill.

For small gigs where you are playing and running sound, I think there is a lot of merit to small mixers with physical knobs and limited feature sets.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2022, 01:48:46 PM by Mark Scrivener »

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2022, 01:45:49 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 25 queries.