ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Midas M1 Pro  (Read 1746 times)

Mal Brown

Midas M1 Pro
« on: September 18, 2022, 04:15:48 PM »

I may take on FOH at a venue that uses the M1 Pro for FOH and an M32 for monitors.  If I do this, I'd like to hit the ground running.  Can someone point me to good resources for learning these two boarda.  I've been a Soundcraft guy for many years.  I've been avoiding the MT universe for almost as long...
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Kevin Maxwell

• USA SW CT 46miles from MidTown Manhattan ATCF
Re: Midas M1 Pro
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2022, 04:20:57 PM »

I may take on FOH at a venue that uses the M1 Pro for FOH and an M32 for monitors.  If I do this, I'd like to hit the ground running.  Can someone point me to good resources for learning these two boarda.  I've been a Soundcraft guy for many years.  I've been avoiding the MT universe for almost as long...

Do you mean a Midas Pro1?

Tim Verhoeven

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2022, 05:21:27 PM »

For the M32, look up any of the X32 resource on the internet. There are plenty! The M32 runs the exact same firmware as the X32, just in better hardware. But they way to use them is identical.

For the Pro1/Pro2 there will probably be less resources to be found, but I've seen some great overview video's of those consoles on Youtube.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2022, 05:25:07 PM »

There is a offline editor for the Pro-series, but it's 32bit on Macs only. So you'll need an older MacBook Pro or similar to use it.
The manual is detailed, but not the best for learning the console.
There are some videos on Youtube, some are good, some are terrible.
To be honest, the best way to learn it is to get some time on the console.

The M32 is easier, offline editor is available for modern operating systems, the manual is pretty easy. There's also hundreds of videos on Youtube. Some good, some baad...

John Schalk

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 10:29:38 AM »

Can someone point me to good resources for learning these two boards.  I've been a Soundcraft guy for many years.  I've been avoiding the MT universe for almost as long...
The X/M 32 consoles seem to be just about everywhere so perhaps you can try finding a club or church in your area with one that you can spend so some time on.  Heck, maybe there is a fellow Labster nearby who can hook you up.  I'm in Illinois, otherwise you'd be welcome to rent some time on mine.  Rental rates are in 12oz increments!

FWIW, as a guy who owns a Performer 2, but ends up mixing 95% of the time on an X/M 32, I think the biggest difference is how the input & output patch works on the two boards.  It's the one area where the Soundcraft is simpler, but if you're walking into a venue then the patching is probably preset already.  Otherwise, the "Effects Rack" slots are something that doesn't exist on the lower end Soundcraft consoles and mixing with Groups on the X/M 32 is non-obvious.  By that I mean that, like the patching, setting up Groups (changing them from Pre/Post aux busses) takes a little bit of doing the first time so it's an area to watch some videos on.

Mal Brown

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 04:24:32 PM »

Do you mean a Midas Pro1?

Probably.  The venue is an old theater with a number of point source Martin boxes flown and subs down low.  So quality stuff.

d
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Don T. Williams

• Midas Pro 1 & 2, M32, dbTech T12, T8, S30, DM12
    • Q Systems Music & Sound
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2022, 04:46:49 PM »

A word of warning.  If the FOH console is a Pro 1, you will have to use it in the 48K mode to be compatible with the M32, which will only run at 48K sample rate.  There will be very little difference with sound quality.  I think you have to have the 250 series stage boxes with the Pro series, and the M32 will connect to them running 48K.  I'm not 100 % certain, but the M32 may work as the stage box for the Pro 1.  With X32s and M32's, that is easy to do.  I know if it's a passive split without using Midas stage boxes it doesn't matter what the sample rates are.

Douglas R. Allen

« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2022, 08:36:42 PM »

A word of warning.  If the FOH console is a Pro 1, you will have to use it in the 48K mode to be compatible with the M32, which will only run at 48K sample rate.  There will be very little difference with sound quality.  I think you have to have the 250 series stage boxes with the Pro series, and the M32 will connect to them running 48K.  I'm not 100 % certain, but the M32 may work as the stage box for the Pro 1.  With X32s and M32's, that is easy to do.  I know if it's a passive split without using Midas stage boxes it doesn't matter what the sample rates are.

The Pro1 will run at 48k? I looked at one many years ago but don't remember that. Although it could very well be.

Douglas R. Allen

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2022, 11:18:20 AM »

The Pro1 will run at 48k? I looked at one many years ago but don't remember that. Although it could very well be.

Douglas R. Allen

AFAIK it can’t.
You’ll need a DN9650 or similar to FS convert AES50 for one of the consoles.

Tim Verhoeven

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 02:59:11 PM »

AFAIK it can’t.
You’ll need a DN9650 or similar to FS convert AES50 for one of the consoles.

As I understand the OP, this is an existing setup. So they either already have a DN9650 or, more likely, a passive split installed.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2022, 02:59:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.