Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

Need help troubleshooting PA

(1/3) > >>

Wes Wece:
I’m having a strange issue and thought I’d try here to see if someone has an idea of what the issue might be. So for starters I’ll list my PA setup. Allen and Heath QU-16 mixer going to a DBX PA2 driverack, the driverack crosses over to a QSC GXD 8 amp to 4 Carvin TRS-1503 speakers. The subs go to a Behringer iNuke 6000 amp to Carvin LS-1802 subs.

The issue: It’s been reported that several times in an hour that ALL speakers cut out for about 1 second. The cut out is preceded by a pop. Sound returns as normal afterwards. Inner ear monitors do not reflect the cutout.

My troubleshooting: Since all speakers cut out, it cannot be a cable since you’d only lose 1 side or 1 speaker. It cannot be both amps having an issue because it would have to be a huge coincidence for both to go at the same time. It isn’t a power issue since it happens at different locations and care is taken to split loads. I do have a power strip the mixer and driverack both plug into but that has been swapped out and tested. The amps are not going into protection mode nor are they clipping. The mixer is not overloaded and is not clipping on any channels. For all speakers to go my conclusion was the driverack so I bought a replacement and it was not the issue. While not impossible, it’s unlikely to be the mixer which is relatively new.

So here is the strange thing, it has been noticed that when my bass player turns on his vocal harmonized pedal, that’s when the cutouts happen. Has anyone ever had a input causing the whole system to cut out? The PA does not cut out when playing music through it from a phone thru a stereo channel. Only cuts out during band performance.

Mac Kerr:

--- Quote from: pogeybait4883 on September 18, 2022, 03:46:30 PM ---I’m having a strange issue and thought I’d try here to see if someone has an idea of what the issue might be. So for starters I’ll list my PA setup. Allen and Heath QU-16 mixer going to a DBX PA2 driverack, the driverack crosses over to a QSC GXD 8 amp to 4 Carvin TRS-1503 speakers. The subs go to a Behringer iNuke 6000 amp to Carvin LS-1802 subs.

The issue: It’s been reported that several times in an hour that ALL speakers cut out for about 1 second. The cut out is preceded by a pop. Sound returns as normal afterwards. Inner ear monitors do not reflect the cutout.

My troubleshooting: Since all speakers cut out, it cannot be a cable since you’d only lose 1 side or 1 speaker. It cannot be both amps having an issue because it would have to be a huge coincidence for both to go at the same time. It isn’t a power issue since it happens at different locations and care is taken to split loads. I do have a power strip the mixer and driverack both plug into but that has been swapped out and tested. The amps are not going into protection mode nor are they clipping. The mixer is not overloaded and is not clipping on any channels. For all speakers to go my conclusion was the driverack so I bought a replacement and it was not the issue. While not impossible, it’s unlikely to be the mixer which is relatively new.

So here is the strange thing, it has been noticed that when my bass player turns on his vocal harmonized pedal, that’s when the cutouts happen. Has anyone ever had a input causing the whole system to cut out? The PA does not cut out when playing music through it from a phone thru a stereo channel. Only cuts out during band performance.

--- End quote ---

Please go to your profile and change your name to your real full name as required by the posting rules.

Mac
admin

John Roberts {JR}:
check wiring

JR

Wes Wece:

--- Quote from: John Roberts {JR} on September 19, 2022, 11:21:24 AM ---check wiring

JR

--- End quote ---

As I’ve already stated, if it were xlr or speakon cables you’d only lose one side or 1 speaker.

Paul G. OBrien:

--- Quote from: Wes Wece on September 18, 2022, 03:46:30 PM ---The issue: It’s been reported that several times in an hour that ALL speakers cut out for about 1 second. The cut out is preceded by a pop. For all speakers to go my conclusion was the driverack so I bought a replacement and it was not the issue.
--- End quote ---

Is the replacement a driverack too? These are known to produce noise if they lose power and reset. If you don't already have one a UPS has become a standard requirement for digital desks and equipment like the driverack, momentary power glitches that are too fast to otherwise notice can cause reboots and other undesirable effects so it wouldn't be a terrible idea to get one for the rack equipment... even if it turns out that this isn't the problem right now.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version