ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Global Truss markings question.  (Read 4292 times)

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
Global Truss markings question.
« on: September 15, 2022, 07:18:31 AM »

Just after a bit of user info if possible.
A friend has just picked up a great deal on a bunch of brand new, still in its bubble wrap, 400mm square “Global Truss” from a church that purchased it but didn’t end up using it.

The Ad showed a picture of a sticker with CE markings etc and another showing the connection area with Global Truss engraved under the position where the locking pin goes through.
On arrival, it certainly looks like truss listed on the GT website but does not have any engraving of the brand name or have the sticker (or any sticker at all) shown on the auction site.
Also, GT say that all their truss sections come with a set of connectors  but none came with these.
The cost came in (I believe) at about 1/4-1/3 of what it was priced out at via the GT website.

Personally I have my doubts and my question is, have you ever seen Global Truss products with out branding or quality stickers?

Thanks in advance :)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 05:41:44 AM by Jonathan Goodall »

Jeff Lelko

• Cape Canaveral, FL
Re: Global Truss markings question.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2022, 07:29:46 AM »

Hey Jonathan,

The short and simple is that if the truss isn't marked it doesn't fly - figuratively and literally.  Without the proper brand/part markings (product code, serial no., etc.) I have no way to prove that any load analysis done for the rig is compliant against the specification benchmarks published by the alleged manufacturer. 

Lot's of off-brand truss is marketed as "Global Truss Compatible", and that looks to be what your friend has ended up with.  Use at his own risk on a good day...scrap it for piece of mind to avoid a bad day.

As far as couplers go, all Global Truss that I've ever bought has come with the pins and couplers.  More "professional" brands such as Prolyte typically doesn't.  Mileage will vary though and these sorts of things can often be negotiated with your dealer/distributor.  Hope this helps!

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2022, 07:42:09 AM »

Hey Jonathan,

The short and simple is that if the truss isn't marked it doesn't fly - figuratively and literally.  Without the proper brand/part markings (product code, serial no., etc.) I have no way to prove that any load analysis done for the rig is compliant against the specification benchmarks published by the alleged manufacturer. 

Lot's of off-brand truss is marketed as "Global Truss Compatible", and that looks to be what your friend has ended up with.  Use at his own risk on a good day...scrap it for piece of mind to avoid a bad day.

As far as couplers go, all Global Truss that I've ever bought has come with the pins and couplers.  More "professional" brands such as Prolyte typically doesn't.  Mileage will vary though and these sorts of things can often be negotiated with your dealer/distributor.  Hope this helps!

Thanks,I was of the feeling that it wasn’t right, esp as it does not  have any engineering certs or specs on it.

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2022, 08:18:15 AM »

On arrival, it certainly looks like truss listed on the GT website but does not have any engraving of the brand name or have the sticker (or any sticker at all) shown on the auction site.

Tell your friend to return it.
Product received is NOT as advertised.

Don't use it. Not even for DJ use.
It MAY work, but more importantly, it MAY fail.
If your insurance asks for certifications, you're shit out of luck.
Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Adam Kane

• Battle Creek, MI
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 02:03:46 PM »

Just after a bit of user info if possible.
A friend has just picked up a great deal on a bunch of brand new, still in its bubble wrap, 400mm square “Global Truss” from a church that purchased it but didn’t end up using it.

The Ad showed a picture of a sticker with CE markings etc and another showing the connection area with Global Truss engraved under the position where the locking pin goes through.
Also, GT say that all their truss sections come with a set of connectors  but none came with these.
The cost came in (I believe) at about 1/4-1/3 of what it was priced out at via the GT website.

Personally I have my doubts and my question is, have you ever seen Global Truss products with out branding or quality stickers?

Thanks in advance :)

We've sold and installed quite a lot of Global Truss over the years, and also have a bunch in our rental inventory. Every piece I've ever touched has some sort of label on it. The older stuff had stickers, everything within the last decade or so has been engraved at the factory. If it's missing, it's fake...and probably shouldn't be relied upon for anything other than doorstops.

Jonathan Goodall

• New Zealand
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 02:03:01 AM »

We've sold and installed quite a lot of Global Truss over the years, and also have a bunch in our rental inventory. Every piece I've ever touched has some sort of label on it. The older stuff had stickers, everything within the last decade or so has been engraved at the factory. If it's missing, it's fake...and probably shouldn't be relied upon for anything other than doorstops.

As I suspected.
Thanks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2022, 02:03:01 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 25 queries.