ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Laser Engraving  (Read 1321 times)

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
Laser Engraving
« on: September 11, 2022, 07:32:56 PM »

Anybody using Laser Engraving to ID mark equipment?  Cases, amps, controllers, stage boxes, consoles, etc.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2022, 10:24:36 AM by Steve-White »

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
Re: Laser Etching
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 03:21:42 AM »

Anybody using Laser Etching to ID mark equipment?  Cases, amps, controllers, stage boxes, consoles, etc.
Are you talking about DIY?

If we're ever having a rack or panel built by a manufacturer that offers it (Motion Labs, EMG, etc.) we always opt to have our logo etched on said unit. In my experience the added cost has been very little if not zero.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2022, 06:54:09 AM »

Are you talking about DIY?

If we're ever having a rack or panel built by a manufacturer that offers it (Motion Labs, EMG, etc.) we always opt to have our logo etched on said unit. In my experience the added cost has been very little if not zero.

Yes DIY.

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2022, 10:37:04 AM »

Anybody using Laser Etching to ID mark equipment?  Cases, amps, controllers, stage boxes, consoles, etc.
Yes Steve... I got into that about a year ago.  Do you have any specific questions I could maybe help with?

I'll mention I've discovered suitability of machine type depends on application... for instance:  The laser etcher I have is a table top type:  Platform with the laser lens mounted on a mast... rather like a drill press.  And a rather serious limitation with it is the range of height and width:  The combination of width lens and mast height limits the vertical work range to about 4" of adjustment... so I can only etch stuff ranging in height from basically zero to 4" tall... which is fine for mics, DI boxes, and the like, but I can't put a piece of rack gear (amp, wireless mic receiver, etc...) on the platform and etch the faceplate or back plate... unless the item is no taller than 4".  I have a rotary axis attachment for my laser... which was a factory option, but couldn't use it because the mast was too short... the center of the rotary axis is about 5" up off the platform, and the manufacture didn't offer a taller mast, so I ended-up having to self fashion a mast height extension.  Also the width of the field of my machine is limited to about 6"... so I can't etch the width of a 19" patch panel in one go... gotta do it in sections.  Hand held types are available, which I can see could work much better for many applications.  I'll say my laser etcher is fast and does a great job on what it does well:  Most metals (especially good on anodized aluminum), rocks... some glass... doesn't work for beans on plastic. 
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 11:14:34 AM by W. Mark Hellinger »

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2022, 12:56:07 PM »

I went with a table top unit as well, that I think can be made to work.  It may take a little fabrication to set it up for rack gear.

Chose the 20W x2 setup:

https://www.xtool.com/products/xtool-d1-pro-2-in-1-kit-455nm-blue-laser-1064nm-infrared-laser?variant=43211209113839

And this rotary fixture:

https://www.xtool.com/products/xtool-ra2-pro-the-worlds-first-4-in-1-rotary-for-laser-engraver?variant=43173037736175

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2022, 02:24:05 PM »

Chose the 20W x2 setup:

https://www.xtool.com/products/xtool-d1-pro-2-in-1-kit-455nm-blue-laser-1064nm-infrared-laser?variant=43211209113839

While I don't know how long you've had your etcher or how much you've worked with it, but I'll mention with mine, I discovered (after trying to make sense of stuff that wasn't making sense) that some factory set-up adjustments left a lot to be desired... i.e.:  Those set-ups that realized to be out of adjustment were seemingly not dialed-in what-so-ever... for instance:  The focusing dots.  Mine where "willy-nilly". And that focus thing seems to be somewhat relative in that sometimes we get better results a bit out of focus... depending on the material.  And the etch speed and # of repeats and such is something to get a feel for... faster/slower with more or fewer repeats etc... produces different results on different materials.   And we've discovered some notable "quirks" in the software.  But then mine is a different brand than yours' (mileage may vary).  And we've found that our etcher is forgiving to a point on curved surfaces... no need for the rotary axis on many items.

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2022, 02:51:11 PM »

While I don't know how long you've had your etcher or how much you've worked with it, but I'll mention with mine, I discovered (after trying to make sense of stuff that wasn't making sense) that some factory set-up adjustments left a lot to be desired... i.e.:  Those set-ups that realized to be out of adjustment were seemingly not dialed-in what-so-ever... for instance:  The focusing dots.  Mine where "willy-nilly". And that focus thing seems to be somewhat relative in that sometimes we get better results a bit out of focus... depending on the material.  And the etch speed and # of repeats and such is something to get a feel for... faster/slower with more or fewer repeats etc... produces different results on different materials.   And we've discovered some notable "quirks" in the software.  But then mine is a different brand than yours' (mileage may vary).  And we've found that our etcher is forgiving to a point on curved surfaces... no need for the rotary axis on many items.

Nothing yet, it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.  I'll let you know how the xTool rig works out.

W. Mark Hellinger

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2022, 04:19:06 PM »

Nothing yet, it is scheduled to arrive tomorrow.  I'll let you know how the xTool rig works out.
Well Steve... you'll likely discover "lots of things"... I've found ours' works really well for etching ID's in keys, and in anodized aluminum dog tags for lots of uses, and etching readable sizes on mechanics sockets, and etching your picture on rocks... besides working great for etching ID's on mic bodies, cymbals, and stuff like that.  The detail possible is "amazing".  Have fun!

Steve-White

• Fort Worth
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2022, 05:34:24 PM »

You are probably right Mark.  Just received a 6mm drill bit this afternoon and using a magnifier and LED flashlight all you can read on the body is "HSS" and nothing relating to the size.

Scott Helmke

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 06:18:24 PM »

I found a 30 watt laser at a local library, in the maker space. Pretty fun cutting thin plywood at 300dpi!

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2022, 06:18:24 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.042 seconds with 20 queries.