ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wild new Neutrik connector....  (Read 5147 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Wild new Neutrik connector....
« on: September 04, 2022, 10:00:52 AM »

Neutrik NC10FD-LX-B

Meant to be an alternative to an ethercon I guess, but with more current carrying capability? From the Q&A at Parts Express there's no single cable that can be used with all these pins.

What would/could you use this for?
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
Re: Wild new Neutrik connector....
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2022, 10:40:09 AM »

Neutrik NC10FD-LX-B

Meant to be an alternative to an ethercon I guess, but with more current carrying capability? From the Q&A at Parts Express there's no single cable that can be used with all these pins.

What would/could you use this for?

The Neutrik product note has good answers to the question you ask:

https://www.neutrik.com/media/11217/download/application-note-8-2-pole-xlr.pdf?v=1

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2022, 10:49:19 AM »

The Neutrik product note has good answers to the question you ask:

https://www.neutrik.com/media/11217/download/application-note-8-2-pole-xlr.pdf?v=1
Yeah I saw that. I guess a better question is, "are you using these, and if so, what for?"

I could definitely see a use for pixel fixtures, but I haven't seen them being used. Better yet I could see these being used for Dante stage drops. Again, I haven't seen them being used.

And truly if a single jacketed cable doesn't yet exist for it, then how COULD you even use it in a prfessional manner.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2022, 11:22:41 AM »

I saw those a while back when they first appeared on their website and kind of wondered the same thing.
I'm all for a truly heavy duty network connector but at this point it would be for a custom self contained system.

Maybe their thinking is build it and they (as in manufactures) will start including it into their products.
More or less how the Speakon connector was introduced.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2022, 05:03:19 PM by Mike Caldwell »

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2022, 11:31:01 AM »

I saw those a while back when they first appeared on their website and kind of wondered the same thing.
I'm all for a truly heavy duty network connector but a this point it would be for a custom self contained system.

Maybe their thinking is build it and they (as in manufactures) will start including it into their products.
More or less how the Speakon connector was introduced.
Back last century when I was still in the trenches and working with Neutrik they would present new connector ideas to us, and other potential large customers at major trade shows. (Frankfort musik messe was a good one for them show new stuff at.)

They might tool up a new connector with the hope it would meet some market need, but I suspect some customers somewhere asked for something in that ballpark for funtionality.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2022, 05:40:16 PM »

{...} What would/could you use this for?

If I'm understanding the situation correctly, this would be the connector to chose in applications where a device's interconnection requirements could be entirely satisfied with Gigabit Ethernet and a power supply of between 71.3 and ~750 W; anything that draws less power can take advantage of the highest-rated PoE++ option using normal Ethernet/EtherCON connectors (and, for reference, a Tio1608-D only draws 50W of power).

Given their power-handling capacity, most of the applications I can think of for these connectors are in other fields (e.g. NDI-based video displays or LED lighting fixtures), but in our world I could see a company like Meyer using them to add one-cable network connectivity to some of their point-source boxes (which is conceptually similar to their existing IntelligentDC system, although with much greater power-handling capabilities).

-Russ

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2022, 08:53:11 PM »

Yeah I saw that. I guess a better question is, "are you using these, and if so, what for?"

I could definitely see a use for pixel fixtures, but I haven't seen them being used. Better yet I could see these being used for Dante stage drops. Again, I haven't seen them being used.

And truly if a single jacketed cable doesn't yet exist for it, then how COULD you even use it in a prfessional manner.

I did some looking around and most of the cable that I found was siamese.  Apparently there is also "elevator cable" that is single jacketed with all the right conductors but it's waaaaay to bulky and stiff for our use.  I did find a DC power + cat5e + SDI cable in a single jacket but it was by a company that I'd never heard of before.

A company like Clark Wire will be happy to make you a custom cable with 2x16ga + cat5e in a single jacket.  I've no idea how expensive it would be, minimums, and how it would handle for portable usage.

As to how to use it, there are some devices that are right on the edge of POE or just a touch beyond it which have the option for DC power input.  The Q-SYS NV-32-H comes to mind as one.  I could see one of those in a cart application where POE may not be viable (they are tough to do POE correctly for) and this connector could give a one-cable solution for power and data.  Extron has some stuff that has network and DC power too.  I've also worked with HD-BaseT gear that wasn't POE capable and I've had to run power and data to it.  All that said, a lot of that is install stuff and the problem can be solved without using odd connectors.  Maybe they'll come up with some actual use cases to show it off.  I do think that for more abusive environments there's a chance this would hold up better as just a data connector.

Thomas Le

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2023, 09:58:19 AM »

If I'm understanding the situation correctly, this would be the connector to chose in applications where a device's interconnection requirements could be entirely satisfied with Gigabit Ethernet and a power supply of between 71.3 and ~750 W; anything that draws less power can take advantage of the highest-rated PoE++ option using normal Ethernet/EtherCON connectors (and, for reference, a Tio1608-D only draws 50W of power).

Given their power-handling capacity, most of the applications I can think of for these connectors are in other fields (e.g. NDI-based video displays or LED lighting fixtures), but in our world I could see a company like Meyer using them to add one-cable network connectivity to some of their point-source boxes (which is conceptually similar to their existing IntelligentDC system, although with much greater power-handling capabilities).

-Russ

Behringer/Music Tribe might take note also, integrate ultranet and power to their turbosound speakers.

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2023, 06:09:57 AM »

A company like Clark Wire will be happy to make you a custom cable with 2x16ga + cat5e in a single jacket.  I've no idea how expensive it would be, minimums, and how it would handle for portable usage.

Most major players are 10k feet minimums in the US. Well within reach with a few friends buying in.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

Tim Padrick

• Indianapolis
    • T.P. Audio
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2023, 06:12:03 PM »

Behringer/Music Tribe might take note also, integrate ultranet and power to their turbosound speakers.

This would require that the connector have a third extra pin, and be rated for mains use.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2023, 06:12:03 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.021 seconds with 25 queries.