Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Console Connectivity Solutions

Wild new Neutrik connector....

<< < (2/4) > >>

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on September 04, 2022, 10:00:52 AM ---{...} What would/could you use this for?

--- End quote ---

If I'm understanding the situation correctly, this would be the connector to chose in applications where a device's interconnection requirements could be entirely satisfied with Gigabit Ethernet and a power supply of between 71.3 and ~750 W; anything that draws less power can take advantage of the highest-rated PoE++ option using normal Ethernet/EtherCON connectors (and, for reference, a Tio1608-D only draws 50W of power).

Given their power-handling capacity, most of the applications I can think of for these connectors are in other fields (e.g. NDI-based video displays or LED lighting fixtures), but in our world I could see a company like Meyer using them to add one-cable network connectivity to some of their point-source boxes (which is conceptually similar to their existing IntelligentDC system, although with much greater power-handling capabilities).

-Russ

Erik Jerde:

--- Quote from: Tim Weaver on September 04, 2022, 10:49:19 AM ---Yeah I saw that. I guess a better question is, "are you using these, and if so, what for?"

I could definitely see a use for pixel fixtures, but I haven't seen them being used. Better yet I could see these being used for Dante stage drops. Again, I haven't seen them being used.

And truly if a single jacketed cable doesn't yet exist for it, then how COULD you even use it in a prfessional manner.

--- End quote ---

I did some looking around and most of the cable that I found was siamese.  Apparently there is also "elevator cable" that is single jacketed with all the right conductors but it's waaaaay to bulky and stiff for our use.  I did find a DC power + cat5e + SDI cable in a single jacket but it was by a company that I'd never heard of before.

A company like Clark Wire will be happy to make you a custom cable with 2x16ga + cat5e in a single jacket.  I've no idea how expensive it would be, minimums, and how it would handle for portable usage.

As to how to use it, there are some devices that are right on the edge of POE or just a touch beyond it which have the option for DC power input.  The Q-SYS NV-32-H comes to mind as one.  I could see one of those in a cart application where POE may not be viable (they are tough to do POE correctly for) and this connector could give a one-cable solution for power and data.  Extron has some stuff that has network and DC power too.  I've also worked with HD-BaseT gear that wasn't POE capable and I've had to run power and data to it.  All that said, a lot of that is install stuff and the problem can be solved without using odd connectors.  Maybe they'll come up with some actual use cases to show it off.  I do think that for more abusive environments there's a chance this would hold up better as just a data connector.

Thomas Le:

--- Quote from: Russell Ault on September 04, 2022, 05:40:16 PM ---If I'm understanding the situation correctly, this would be the connector to chose in applications where a device's interconnection requirements could be entirely satisfied with Gigabit Ethernet and a power supply of between 71.3 and ~750 W; anything that draws less power can take advantage of the highest-rated PoE++ option using normal Ethernet/EtherCON connectors (and, for reference, a Tio1608-D only draws 50W of power).

Given their power-handling capacity, most of the applications I can think of for these connectors are in other fields (e.g. NDI-based video displays or LED lighting fixtures), but in our world I could see a company like Meyer using them to add one-cable network connectivity to some of their point-source boxes (which is conceptually similar to their existing IntelligentDC system, although with much greater power-handling capabilities).

-Russ

--- End quote ---

Behringer/Music Tribe might take note also, integrate ultranet and power to their turbosound speakers.

Tim Hite:

--- Quote from: Erik Jerde on September 04, 2022, 08:53:11 PM ---

A company like Clark Wire will be happy to make you a custom cable with 2x16ga + cat5e in a single jacket.  I've no idea how expensive it would be, minimums, and how it would handle for portable usage.

--- End quote ---

Most major players are 10k feet minimums in the US. Well within reach with a few friends buying in.

Tim Padrick:

--- Quote from: Thomas Le on January 31, 2023, 09:58:19 AM ---Behringer/Music Tribe might take note also, integrate ultranet and power to their turbosound speakers.

--- End quote ---

This would require that the connector have a third extra pin, and be rated for mains use.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version