Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Console Connectivity Solutions

Wild new Neutrik connector....

<< < (4/4)

Riley Casey:
As much as I dislike Ethercon connectors for their 'expendable' level of serviceability I've accepted them because I was under the impression that we had to live with the format because the form factor was dictated by maintaining the sacred conductor twist and proximity at all costs. This seems to break that by a couple of millimeters or so. Is this just a superstition on my part?

Mike Caldwell:

--- Quote from: Erik Jerde on August 17, 2023, 10:10:40 AM ---It's interesting that they chose that connector.  I can't see any reason why they would need the 16ga pins.  They could have just used a shielded catx cable and then it would have worked with any of the myriad of catx snake breakout boxes or other gear in that ecosystem.

--- End quote ---

I will avoid using any of the CAT RJ45 connector things for analog audio.

They made a good call not using the CAT R45 for the mic connector as there is no real standard for the pin outs on those things.

The Neutrik connector just has the number of needed pins to do what they need regardless of pin gauge and it's a robust connector.

Russell Ault:

--- Quote from: Erik Jerde on August 17, 2023, 10:10:40 AM ---It's interesting that they chose that connector.  I can't see any reason why they would need the 16ga pins. {...}

--- End quote ---

I'm sure they didn't need the gauge, just the pins (the largest pin-count in a standard XLR connector I know of is 7, and this microphone would need at least 9).

--- Quote from: Erik Jerde on August 17, 2023, 10:10:40 AM ---{...} They could have just used a shielded catx cable and then it would have worked with any of the myriad of catx snake breakout boxes or other gear in that ecosystem.

--- End quote ---

I see two issues with this approach: first, to my knowledge, there is no extant EtherCON-compatible jack that could easily be made to fit into the end of the microphone (i.e. there's no free-hanging version of the EtherCON jack, only the plug, and D-size jack wedged into the end of the microphone would be bulky and awkward); second, as mentioned by Mike, the "myriad of catx snake breakout boxes" also have a myriad of different, incompatible pin-outs, negating much of the advantage.

-Russ

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version