ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Wild new Neutrik connector....  (Read 5191 times)

TomRuff

Re: Wild new Neutrik connector....
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2023, 03:09:03 PM »

Looks like Rode has found an analog audio use for this one.

Looking forward to hearing this mic.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/NTSF1--rode-soundfield-nt-sf1-ambisonic-microphone

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2023, 08:15:43 PM »

A very niche mic with a niche connector.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2023, 10:10:40 AM »

A very niche mic with a niche connector.

It's interesting that they chose that connector.  I can't see any reason why they would need the 16ga pins.  They could have just used a shielded catx cable and then it would have worked with any of the myriad of catx snake breakout boxes or other gear in that ecosystem.

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2023, 12:26:08 PM »

It's interesting that they chose that connector.  I can't see any reason why they would need the 16ga pins.  They could have just used a shielded catx cable and then it would have worked with any of the myriad of catx snake breakout boxes or other gear in that ecosystem.

I was thinking that too.

I guess this way they get to sell parts when you lose that breakout and can’t find it anywhere else.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

John Bosco

• Haddam, CT - USA
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2023, 03:33:28 PM »

Seems like the perfect solution, Cat X cable into some CAT Tails. How long do you figure it would take before people complain about how their cool new "network" mic isn't passing signal?  ::)
"All I want is a good sandwich. You see this sandwhich here? This tuna sandwhich? That's all I want, a good sandwich." - John  Gotti

Riley Casey

• Wash DC
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2023, 03:59:59 PM »

As much as I dislike Ethercon connectors for their 'expendable' level of serviceability I've accepted them because I was under the impression that we had to live with the format because the form factor was dictated by maintaining the sacred conductor twist and proximity at all costs. This seems to break that by a couple of millimeters or so. Is this just a superstition on my part?

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2023, 04:59:54 PM »

I will avoid using any of the CAT RJ45 connector things for analog audio.

They made a good call not using the CAT R45 for the mic connector as there is no real standard for the pin outs on those things.

The Neutrik connector just has the number of needed pins to do what they need regardless of pin gauge and it's a robust connector.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2023, 05:43:59 PM »

It's interesting that they chose that connector.  I can't see any reason why they would need the 16ga pins. {...}

I'm sure they didn't need the gauge, just the pins (the largest pin-count in a standard XLR connector I know of is 7, and this microphone would need at least 9).

{...} They could have just used a shielded catx cable and then it would have worked with any of the myriad of catx snake breakout boxes or other gear in that ecosystem.

I see two issues with this approach: first, to my knowledge, there is no extant EtherCON-compatible jack that could easily be made to fit into the end of the microphone (i.e. there's no free-hanging version of the EtherCON jack, only the plug, and D-size jack wedged into the end of the microphone would be bulky and awkward); second, as mentioned by Mike, the "myriad of catx snake breakout boxes" also have a myriad of different, incompatible pin-outs, negating much of the advantage.

-Russ

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2023, 05:43:59 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 24 queries.