Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Pro AV Forum

Ambient Recording ACN-CL and MOTU dtp

(1/1)

wildplum:
I am an audio engineer who has been doing remote recordings for over 30 years. Back in the day I was frequently asked to provide time code to video or sync to video provided time code. Over the years, as technology changed, I developed different systems to meet that need.
However, starting in the late 2000s I stopped being asked about tc. It seems everyone was happy somehow syncing in post. I sold off equipment and can no longer do what I used to do.
Now, for the first time in over a dozen years, I’ve been asked to record sync to an audio channel (and its a very high profile gig), but I no longer have a tested system.
I have an aging (but still fully functional) MOTU dtp, which has a BNC video in that can genlock to video and to VITC. Video has an Ambient Recording ACN-CL and can provide me with output from the Ambient on a BNC cable.

1st question: does the ACN-Cl sync out provide VITC or something else (i.e., is the sync out compatible with my MOTU dtp)?

My interface is an RME UFX which has no time code capabilities, so I do not think I can use the signal on the BNC directly. Hence the desire to record time code to an audio track (like in the old tape days). Video said they could use that, but I am not certain I know how get the right signal to the audio track.

So, 2nd question: I can feed the ACN-CL sync signal to a channel on the UFX and record that to a channel in the DAW. Will this work?

3rd question: The MOTU dtp can take house house sync and VITC (if the is what the ACN-CL provides) and output on a TRS cable ltc, which I can record as in question number 2. Do you think this will work?

Again, video is confident they can use a signal that I record to an audio that, I just have to get it recorded correctly.
Thanks for the help.
(the ACN-CL output is on a 5 pin connector, the BNC connector is not 5 pin. How does that work?)

Doug Fowler:
Read the rules, fix your display name.

Thank you for your cooperation.

--- Quote from: wildplum on September 02, 2022, 01:46:07 PM ---I am an audio engineer who has been doing remote recordings for over 30 years. Back in the day I was frequently asked to provide time code to video or sync to video provided time code. Over the years, as technology changed, I developed different systems to meet that need.
However, starting in the late 2000s I stopped being asked about tc. It seems everyone was happy somehow syncing in post. I sold off equipment and can no longer do what I used to do.
Now, for the first time in over a dozen years, I’ve been asked to record sync to an audio channel (and its a very high profile gig), but I no longer have a tested system.
I have an aging (but still fully functional) MOTU dtp, which has a BNC video in that can genlock to video and to VITC. Video has an Ambient Recording ACN-CL and can provide me with output from the Ambient on a BNC cable.

1st question: does the ACN-Cl sync out provide VITC or something else (i.e., is the sync out compatible with my MOTU dtp)?

My interface is an RME UFX which has no time code capabilities, so I do not think I can use the signal on the BNC directly. Hence the desire to record time code to an audio track (like in the old tape days). Video said they could use that, but I am not certain I know how get the right signal to the audio track.

So, 2nd question: I can feed the ACN-CL sync signal to a channel on the UFX and record that to a channel in the DAW. Will this work?

3rd question: The MOTU dtp can take house house sync and VITC (if the is what the ACN-CL provides) and output on a TRS cable ltc, which I can record as in question number 2. Do you think this will work?

Again, video is confident they can use a signal that I record to an audio that, I just have to get it recorded correctly.
Thanks for the help.
(the ACN-CL output is on a 5 pin connector, the BNC connector is not 5 pin. How does that work?)

--- End quote ---

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version