Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB: The Classic Live Audio Board

Small Budget Rider Friendly Gear

<< < (2/12) > >>

Doug Fowler:
More Captain Obvious:

Plenty of speakers on sticks and SM58s.  One of the DJ companies around here rents out SOS setups like crazy each weekend.   It used to be EONs, now there are far more choices.

You’ll know eventually what you need in your rental inventory by what your customers keep asking for.

--- Quote from: scottstephens on August 27, 2022, 07:58:18 PM ---Martin,

I wouldn't worry about riders. At your level that probably isn't going to happen.  Most folks who have to fulfill rider requirements are looking at $500K or more in gear.  If you want ROI, look at things like a a dozen wireless units; headset and handhelds. Shure SLX D, Audio Technica 3000 series or Sennheiser ew 100. All are reliable and not stupid expensive.  There are always schools and churches looking to have a play or an Easter thing or a Christmas thing or something that is going to need them.  Also, look at pipe and drape. Not sexy, but it will bring in the dough if there are any corporate gigs within 200 miles.  Add on a few things like Radial Di's, some good mic stands and you are good to go.  As others have said, make sure the business plan is solid. Sound isn't really a big buck return, ask anybody who has purchased a $200K  digital mixer. 
Just my 2 cents. Good Luck.

Scott

--- End quote ---

Paul G. OBrien:

--- Quote from: martin.skif on August 27, 2022, 04:20:07 PM ---Due to health issues, I no longer will be going out to run sound so planning to invest into gear that others will rent out from me.
--- End quote ---

I wish you luck, as the other have mentioned you need to do your homework before spending any dollars. What size market are you in and are there other businesses nearby that also do rentals? If nothing else that may give you an idea of what you can charge. I have a small 1-man sound and lighting business that does very well for me but I don't do dry rentals at all because the equipment just gets beat up too quickly, I move and setup all equipment and that is reflected in the rental price. I now have a list of repeat customers that keep me pretty busy, it took a while to build up the business but online advertising gets pretty good traction these days. There are lots of people that do DIY parties and presentation events but in an age where you can have anything delivered to your door you may find you need to do that to get an edge over another dry rental shop. Everything depends on your market, you could specialize in just backline or just studio equipment for example if there is enough demand for it, that is the trick really.. finding a little niche market to exploit.

I have about $50k invested in equipment and it doesn't look like much... although it's not all stored in one place so maybe it's more than I thought.. it would fill 2 cargo vans or one small cube van. I have enough audio to do 3-4 small jobs at the same time, all together and combined with the lighting it's enough to put on a pretty good show for a band.
My advice is don't buy any kind of passive speaker get decent quality MI level powered boxes in the $1k/box range or better, you simply cannot replicate the performance/$ and durability achieved with passive speakers + rack equipment, and people are expecting to rent powered speakers these days. Bags, covers, cases, and cables will eat up more dollars than you think.. maybe $2k if not more depending where you shop, and none of that is optional if you want to have any hope of keeping the equipment in good condition.

Don T. Williams:
I have had K12's and KW 181's in my rental stock since they were first introduced.  I still rent those same speakers purchased years ago weekly. The new KS sub is better. QSC has been very reliable even with DJ rentals, which says a lot. Those or something similar are great return on investment.  The X32 compact or full size (with case) has been a big rental item for churches doing off campus events and smaller act's tech riders.  Buy stands that hold up.  They may be more expensive to start with, but they are worth it. I know i have K&M's that I bought 20+ years ago that still work.  Don't get really cheap Chinese mike cables.  Neutrik or Rean connectors are a clue to better cables.  I have very good results with the Kirlin brand in both sales and rentals.  If the connectors aren't Rean, they are good copies.  A drum mic kit with Sennheiser E604's. They are practically indestructible and don't need stands.  SM 57's are the industry standard instrument mic, and with the Shure windscreen a good vocal mic.  The President's podium mics!  Beta 52 and Audix D6 seem to be the most popular Kick mics. 

One caution with wireless headset or earset mics.  They will get torn up.  I won't rent to Rap shows.  Too many "mic drop" acts.

Scott Helmke:

--- Quote from: scottstephens on August 27, 2022, 07:58:18 PM ---I wouldn't worry about riders. At your level that probably isn't going to happen.  Most folks who have to fulfill rider requirements are looking at $500K or more in gear.  If you want ROI, look at things like a a dozen wireless units; headset and handhelds. Shure SLX D, Audio Technica 3000 series or Sennheiser ew 100. All are reliable and not stupid expensive.  There are always schools and churches looking to have a play or an Easter thing or a Christmas thing or something that is going to need them.  Also, look at pipe and drape. Not sexy, but it will bring in the dough if there are any corporate gigs within 200 miles.  Add on a few things like Radial Di's, some good mic stands and you are good to go.  As others have said, make sure the business plan is solid. Sound isn't really a big buck return, ask anybody who has purchased a $200K  digital mixer. 

--- End quote ---

+1000.  Being in the segment where you have to meet riders is a step down as far as ROI is concerned.  Fancy consoles and line array systems are a loss leader, while speakers on sticks and affordable wireless are very profitable.

And speaking of who you are providing to, big acts are fleeting - being clean, sober and nice enough to work with local house of worship and corporate needs is your best bet for being in the game long term.  OK, maybe a sales meeting isn't as fun as some rowdy rock&roll, but you'll walk away with more money and less sticky cables.

Steve-White:
^^^  +! to the two above posts - add schools to the list of clientele you want.  They hold plays, Halloween parties and fund raiser carnivals and are great to work with.  Over the years I've worked with schools from primary to university and everything in-between.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version