ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: OK. I'll bite. How to gracefully shut down M32C and DL16 w/o popping speakers  (Read 2237 times)

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC

I'm new to the M32C.  The A&H QU desks/racks had a menu option to shut down the mixer.  That allowed the main power switch to be used to turn the entire rig off - AB168, powered speakers, yada yada.  A graceful shutdown with no potentially damaging speaker pops. ;D 

I can shut the M32C down without issue - the DL16 is the problem.  State of the mixer is irrelevant - mixer and mutes on, kill the DL16 and POP!  Same with mixer off, or if turned off together via a common switch  >:(

Now I could (*should*) power down the speaker system first.  a failing memory and help as it is, that is not guaranteed.  Is there a way via the application (Mixing Station, M32Mix, or M32Edit) to shut down the DL16 outputs gracefully so the actual power down does not pop the speakers?

I could use a power sequencer - turn on DL16, then M32c, then speakers/amps.  Off would kill speakers first, then the M32c, finally the DL16.  Of course, pulling the plug would pop the speakers, but that is true regardless of the mixer/stage box/powered speakers/amps.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2022, 09:53:24 AM by frank kayser »

Jeff M Hague

I'm new to the M32C.  The A&H QU desks/racks had a menu option to shut down the mixer.  That allowed the main power switch to be used to turn the entire rig off - AB168, powered speakers, yada yada.  A graceful shutdown with no potentially damaging speaker pops. ;D 

I can shut the M32C down without issue - the DL16 is the problem.  State of the mixer is irrelevant - mixer and mutes on, kill the DL16 and POP!  Same with mixer off, or if turned off together via a common switch  >:(

Now I could (*should*) power down the speaker system first.  a failing memory and help as it is, that is not guaranteed.  Is there a way via the application (Mixing Station, M32Mix, or M32Edit) to shut down the DL16 outputs gracefully so the actual power down does not pop the speakers?

I could use a power sequencer - turn on DL16, then M32c, then speakers/amps.  Off would kill speakers first, then the M32c, finally the DL16.  Of course, pulling the plug would pop the speakers, but that is true regardless of the mixer/stage box/powered speakers/amps.

Shutting the speakers off 1st is the only way I know.
Jeff

John Schalk

A club I work at has JBL SRX powered tops and subs on different breakers and an X32 + S32 setup.  I finally put the S32 on a breaker with the powered monitors and labeled it clearly as First On / Last Off.  You know what, I will still get an audible pop even when I count to 5 before throwing the S32's breaker sometimes (after throwing the two PA breakers first.)  It drives me nuts.  The console is still on at this point too.

Tim Halligan

Shutting the speakers off 1st is the only way I know.

That's the way I was taught - amps/speakers ON last, and OFF first.

Always.

Cheers,
Tim
An analogue brain in a digital world.

Dan Mortensen

You know what, I will still get an audible pop even when I count to 5 before throwing the S32's breaker sometimes (after throwing the two PA breakers first.)  It drives me nuts.  The console is still on at this point too.

"5" is obviously not long enough for the caps in the amps to fully discharge. Try 8 or 10.

Dan Mortensen

Is this in an install or a portable system? The trick is to have the power distro set up so you can be in one place and accomplish both tasks (turning off all amplifiers/speakers first, then de-powering the mixer. Stage box can be de-powered whenever.)

It gets more complicated when you have the mixer on a UPS, as you should. Then there's three turn-offs, unless you put the UPS at the stage and it's big enough to power your entire FOH.

When by myself at a gig, I just cover the mixer without unplugging to protect from little hands, take stuff like my personal gear and headphones with me to the stage and depower all amps while packing up what needs to get out of the band's way, then eventually mosey out to FOH and power that down, pack it up, and bring it all back to the stage for load out.

YMMV, of course.

Agreed that something like you describe the A&H has to depower FOH and stage box without discharging into the hot speakers would be nice, but the Behringer/Midas family doesn't have that.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB

There’s not a way to do what you’re asking.  You’ve already written out the best approaches.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions

On the control app does holding the home button down put the system into lock/shutdown?

Dan Mortensen

On the control app does holding the home button down put the system into lock/shutdown?

Hmmm. A few questions for you for asking the question that way:

1) Do you mean the X32 Edit program? Or the X/M32 Mix tablet control program? Or both? Or neither, somehow?

2) Lock and Shutdown are two very different things that you seem to be conflating into one. What do you mean?

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics

The outputs on the X32 family of gear pop when power is removed. There's no graceful solution to this.  It's part of the price point compromise of the design. Some designs will add muting circuitry to the outputs so that a loss of power doesn't make a pop sound.  This stuff doesn't have that.

The only answer is gain down or power down the amps before the mixer or stagebox that they are connected to.  This needs to be etched into your brain so that even old age doesn't allow you to forget to do it.  New technicians should be taught this at birth.  Techs that screw it up should be physically reminded each time they make the mistake.  Eventually they'll learn.

But the good news is unless you have things really out of whack, the pop level isn't SUPER bad and probably won't cause driver damage unless you've got way too much power available for the drivers you are using.
Brian Jojade

ProSoundWeb Community

Re: OK. I'll bite. How to gracefully shut down M32C and DL16 w/o popping speakers
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2022, 07:01:12 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.036 seconds with 21 queries.