Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Wireless and Communications

4-pack of Sennheiser XSW Rx - Antenna options

(1/2) > >>

Rick Scofield:
Thanks in advance. I’ve read a ton on here and elsewhere and not finding a couple basic answers.

I have a small rack with 4 Sennheiser mic receivers. One is EW300 then 3 XSW-2 (the kind with detachable antennas). We always keep it on stage near the performers (within 20-30 ft). All in A freq range. All currently have the standard antennas routed to the front of the rack.

I don’t want to spend the money for a high end active splitter and paddles, but would like to make the most of what I have without the albeit small “antenna farm” on the front of the rack.

Could I use a couple of 4-way splitters (looking at options here too) and just use two 1/2 wave or other basic whip antennas mounted to the top/front of the rack and see any benefit?  The Sennheiser 4-ways seem super pricey for what they are. The Lectrosonics 4-way is more reasonable. Lots of Chinese made no-name splitter setups too but not sure if those are to be trusted at all.

The mic/receivers are fairly low budget, so I consider this when trying to package it better.

Thanks for your advice!
-Rick

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Rick Scofield on August 24, 2022, 09:57:49 PM ---Thanks in advance. I’ve read a ton on here and elsewhere and not finding a couple basic answers.

I have a small rack with 4 Sennheiser mic receivers. One is EW300 then 3 XSW-2 (the kind with detachable antennas). We always keep it on stage near the performers (within 20-30 ft). All in A freq range. All currently have the standard antennas routed to the front of the rack.

I don’t want to spend the money for a high end active splitter and paddles, but would like to make the most of what I have without the albeit small “antenna farm” on the front of the rack.

Could I use a couple of 4-way splitters (looking at options here too) and just use two 1/2 wave or other basic whip antennas mounted to the top/front of the rack and see any benefit?  The Sennheiser 4-ways seem super pricey for what they are. The Lectrosonics 4-way is more reasonable. Lots of Chinese made no-name splitter setups too but not sure if those are to be trusted at all.

The mic/receivers are fairly low budget, so I consider this when trying to package it better.

Thanks for your advice!
-Rick

--- End quote ---

You are dealing with a signal in the microvolts and you want to passively split it?  You are going to lose quiet a bit of headroom or "quieting" in the process.  7db per port is quiet a bit.  You also have to consider how poor a location you have right now for the antennas.  The reason to get the antenna up in the air is to always have line of site.  You also reject a lot of noise due to the electrical characteristics of the direction yagi or log periodic antenna.

Having RF problems in the middle of a show is miserable.  Invest in a proper system.

One thing you might get away with is if the antenna has a preamp, which is designed only to makeup feedline losses in front of the splitter.  That is worth trying if you are tight budget.

Dave Garoutte:
Make sure you're looking at combiners, not splitters.
Using the senny combiner on 4 ew300s works fine with a pair of whips.  Paddles when needed.

Thomas Le:

--- Quote from: Dave Garoutte on August 25, 2022, 02:52:02 AM ---Make sure you're looking at combiners, not splitters.
Using the senny combiner on 4 ew300s works fine with a pair of whips.  Paddles when needed.

--- End quote ---

Actually Splitters is what he's looking for. Combiners are for IEM's. Why not get some used EW100? It will be uniform and less cable clutter when using the ASA, plus the BNC also carries power for the receivers.

Dave Garoutte:

--- Quote from: Thomas Le on August 25, 2022, 10:09:01 AM ---Actually Splitters is what he's looking for. Combiners are for IEM's. Why not get some used EW100? It will be uniform and less cable clutter when using the ASA, plus the BNC also carries power for the receivers.

--- End quote ---
OOps, brain in reverse. I use the ASA.  Very clean setup.  One (big) wall wart.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version