ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Headset mic - omni vs cardioid  (Read 1329 times)

Justin Waters

Headset mic - omni vs cardioid
« on: August 23, 2022, 01:09:04 PM »

Whats the application difference between a omni vs cardioid headset mic?  When would you want one over the other?

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
Re: Headset mic - omni vs cardioid
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2022, 02:18:51 PM »

Whats the application difference between a omni vs cardioid headset mic?  When would you want one over the other?
IMHO, directional microphones are only useful if:
  • the null(s) are pointing at sound sources that will reduce SNR or GBF
  • the extra SNR/GBF earned by the nulls in point 1 are sufficiently valuable to overcome the inherent limitations of directional designs (i.e. proximity effect and off-axis coloration)
There are a few cardioid headsets that can fulfil these requirements (the Crown CM-311A is probably the best example I can think of), but for most applications a cardioid headset will tend to fall short at the first one (since the null is both in constant motion and almost never pointed somewhere useful). At that point, I'd rather use a microphone that has greater on- and off-axis sonic consistency, particularly in an application where it's almost impossible to guarantee consistent positioning.

-Russ

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2022, 03:23:12 PM »

I use a cardioid headset mic because I sing from the mixing position. I need to get a good sound through the PA without room bleed.
I use an AKG Microlite EC81MD cardioid mic and in my experience for MY application omni does not work! ( I've tried - ouch!)
However, I have an omni lav mic that I have used for things like marriage ceremonies where pinned to the officiant, I can pick up the bride and groom also so in this instance omni works great.
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Justin Waters

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2022, 04:17:47 PM »

IMHO, directional microphones are only useful if:
  • the null(s) are pointing at sound sources that will reduce SNR or GBF
  • the extra SNR/GBF earned by the nulls in point 1 are sufficiently valuable to overcome the inherent limitations of directional designs (i.e. proximity effect and off-axis coloration)
There are a few cardioid headsets that can fulfil these requirements (the Crown CM-311A is probably the best example I can think of), but for most applications a cardioid headset will tend to fall short at the first one (since the null is both in constant motion and almost never pointed somewhere useful). At that point, I'd rather use a microphone that has greater on- and off-axis sonic consistency, particularly in an application where it's almost impossible to guarantee consistent positioning.

-Russ

This is kind of what I was thinking.  The pastor of my church is asking for a headset mic for recording consistency and I couldnt really think of why I would want a cardioid for a small capsule presentation type headset. 

Side question:  are the DPA mics worth the price?

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2022, 06:04:20 PM »

Yes they are.

Side question:  are the DPA mics worth the price?
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2022, 08:03:36 PM »

For your application, spoken word in a church omni is the best choice.

For live performance on a stage cardioid in a boom style with a larger mic element
closer to the mouth is the better choice.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2022, 03:52:40 AM »

Have a listen to this video, it shows the difference between omni and directional headsets really good.

https://youtu.be/Rtq7zxI8Obk?t=139

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2022, 06:50:49 AM »

I have used card headsets and the problem is that if the user keeps moving the capsule, the proximity effect keeps changing.
For your application, an omni would be fine.
DPA makes a great headset but you can still get good results from some lower priced products.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Matthias McCready

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2022, 09:14:23 AM »

Cardioid-Headset Mics also tend have a lots of extra noise. When someone walks there is wind noise. Anytime the cable is bumped or moved you hear it. They are not usually a great choice for a communicator who likes to move.

Omni-Headset Mics tend to be immune to all these noises.

---

Agreed with Doug, DPA is absolutely worth it.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Lowestoft - UK
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2022, 03:59:32 PM »

For our shows we use DPAs for the main people because the audio is consistant and eq's well. HOWEVER - they're quite breakable, and we have a consumables list that we keep up to date to cope with the budget for replacements. The cheap Chinese ones that are 10% of the price are actually pretty good and we use these for the people who simply cannot stop fiddling with them and bending them, or catching them in clothing and walking away, wrenching them. Once a person has broken two DPAs by sheer carelessness, then they get demoted to the Chinese ones and it takes a bit more EQ work to make them nice, but it works, and when they wreck these ones it's not the end of the world. The Chinese ones have more delicate cables and often the connectors are a bit flimsy too. The thing with all these is that the actual position impacts on volume but not so much tone. Give a drummer a cardioid headset and you can angle out the kit to a large degree, but then they move and all you get is kit. An omni, just behind the corner of your mouth can give impressive volume before feedback and doesn't get popped into. DPA is my favourite, although countrymans and MKE2's are also great in my book.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2022, 03:59:32 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 22 queries.