Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > Audio Measurement and Testing

Measuring Loudspeaker THD

<< < (4/4)

Jim McKeveny:
I've been aware for years of how tolerable percents of distortion are at low frequencies. What I wasn't aware of was the increase the THD on HF drivers - all compression drivers apparently. I have often half-jested ' I never met a compression driver I liked". This spittiness at HF/VHF is an ubiquitous characteristic of so much "PA sound". I would gladly trade off some of the extended high-end frequency response chase for lower distortion overall (if that is part of the compromise).

Tim McCulloch:

--- Quote from: Jim McKeveny on December 29, 2022, 02:20:12 PM ---I've been aware for years of how tolerable percents of distortion are at low frequencies. What I wasn't aware of was the increase the THD on HF drivers - all compression drivers apparently. I have often half-jested ' I never met a compression driver I liked". This spittiness at HF/VHF is an ubiquitous characteristic of so much "PA sound". I would gladly trade off some of the extended high-end frequency response chase for lower distortion overall (if that is part of the compromise).

--- End quote ---

I'd give up 8k-16k if it made 2k-8k sound better.

Brian Jojade:
The actual numbers you come up with don't really matter much.  What you're testing against is change since the last test.

Testing with the measurement mic in front of each component of the speaker should give similar results across speakers and across tests.  If you find one speaker that's giving severely outlier results, that speaker would be suspect during the initial testing.

Now, next time you go to test, just compare against the saved data from the exact test from the exact speaker.  Is it the same?  If so, then you're fine.  If it has changed, determine if the change is from something you did different in testing, or if the change is minor enough that it's still within the range of the other tests you've made with the rest of the speakers.  Anything outside that range now is suspect for further inspection.

Remember that the goal of this test is to just find faults, so you don't need to measure every possible spec and aspect, since faults likely would disrupt many different things all at once.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version