ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Real world experience with Yamaha DHR12m or Electro Voice PXM-12MP  (Read 2215 times)

Todd D Lewis

Hello All,

I need to purchase 10" or 12" inch floor monitors. I have been looking at the Yamaha DHR12m or Electro Voice PXM-12MP models. Does anyone have comments or artist feedback, on either of these products ?

Any other active floor monitor recommendations ??

These will be used for Classic rock and pop bands. No metal acts or DJ use is planned.

Thanks in Advance,

Todd

Mark Scrivener

• My Recording Studio
Re: Real world experience with Yamaha DHR12m or Electro Voice PXM-12MP
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2022, 02:52:04 AM »

Hello All,

I need to purchase 10" or 12" inch floor monitors. I have been looking at the Yamaha DHR12m or Electro Voice PXM-12MP models. Does anyone have comments or artist feedback, on either of these products ?

These will be used for Classic rock and pop bands. No metal acts or DJ use is planned.

Thanks in Advance,

Todd

Hi Todd,

I recently purchased three of the DHR12m's. So far I have only used them at a recital for my guitar students (I bring a bassist and drummer to these events, so similar to a rock/pop band scenario). Based on the recital and my limited testing, the DHR12m's have plenty of volume and sound good. Do they sound as good as my DSR112's or DZR12's? No, but the sound on stage was great as was the coverage. Best of all they are fairly light, compact, and won't break the bank.

I haven't tried the EV models so I can't compare. I have some older EV's that I love, but based on what I've seen and heard, Yamaha seems to be the one to beat these days for "affordable" powered boxes.

Cheers,
Mark

Kwadwo Caesar

• Cary, NC
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2022, 09:04:32 AM »

Hello All,

Thanks in Advance,

Todd

Hi Todd,
Hope the enclosed road test helps. Thanks.

https://www.prosoundweb.com/road-test-new-electro-voice-pxm-12mp-stage-monitor/

John Bosco

• Haddam, CT - USA
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2022, 09:27:57 AM »

Hello All,

Thanks in Advance,

Todd

It just so happens that a Classic Rock cover band I work with regularly owns a couple of the EVs and I have 4 of the Yamahas, I have heard them side by side and with the same source. I'd say you can't go wrong with either, they both get plenty loud, they both are very clear and articulate, they both have a small foot print and are light. So it might come down to what is more readily available to you in your area, which overall sound you prefer or which brand you've had a better experience with. Obviously sound quality is somewhat subjective and what is pleasing to one person may be harsh to the next, but to my ears neither monitor ever sounded "harsh", I've never had a problem getting either loud enough, neither monitor has shown themselves to be overly susceptible to feedback. I've only received compliments on the Yamahas.
"All I want is a good sandwich. You see this sandwhich here? This tuna sandwhich? That's all I want, a good sandwich." - John  Gotti

Todd D Lewis

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2022, 08:48:10 AM »

It just so happens that a Classic Rock cover band I work with regularly owns a couple of the EVs and I have 4 of the Yamahas, I have heard them side by side and with the same source. I'd say you can't go wrong with either, they both get plenty loud, they both are very clear and articulate, they both have a small foot print and are light. So it might come down to what is more readily available to you in your area, which overall sound you prefer or which brand you've had a better experience with. Obviously sound quality is somewhat subjective and what is pleasing to one person may be harsh to the next, but to my ears neither monitor ever sounded "harsh", I've never had a problem getting either loud enough, neither monitor has shown themselves to be overly susceptible to feedback. I've only received compliments on the Yamahas.

Thank you John,

I Own Yamaha gear, and have had no complaints. The 12 inch is the "standard size" , but I would be thrilled if Yamaha or EV came out with 10 " coax floor monitors.

Thanks all,
Todd

Mal Brown

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2022, 12:01:04 AM »

I have a pair of dhr-112m.   I like them a lot.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2022, 01:56:43 AM »

Thank you John,

I Own Yamaha gear, and have had no complaints. The 12 inch is the "standard size" , but I would be thrilled if Yamaha or EV came out with 10 " coax floor monitors.

Thanks all,
Todd

Arfer you just limited to Yamaha or EV?  On the well priced end db Tech has the https://www.dbtechnologies.com/en/products/flexsys/fmx10/ and on the upper end  RCF also has a 10 coax model.  I am not a fan of Seismic Audio but they have a 10" coax that looks like it comes from the same OEM that built the Alto and Samson 12" coax wedges.  I have a metric shit ton of the Alto's and they have amazing bang for the buck.  I have sent them out on some serious gigs (I have them blacked out so the control panel and brand can't be seen) and had positive reviews.  I have thought about grabbing one one of the Seismic 10" myself, they have an 8" too but that's too small a driver, be all sorts of problems.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

George Reiswig

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2022, 11:27:45 AM »

I have a pair of the PXM’s, purchased primarily to serve as my FRFR solution for playing guitar using an AxeFX. But I’ve had several occasions to use them as small mains and as monitors. I’ve been very pleased with them. Small, powerful, onboard DSP and the ability to store several settings. Fairly uncolored sound. I also have Yamaha DXR10s, and for monitor and guitar work, I prefer the EV’s sound.

Nate Zifra

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2022, 11:44:17 AM »

I can vouch for the Flexsys FMX10 and 12's.  Light weight, easy to carry, get loud and sound good.  I've got lots of compliments on them.  One drawback for consideration is that it appears DB Tech still doesn't have covers or cases for them.  NYC Undercover does have the measurements for the 10's and 12's however, and is the company that made my covers.

Arfer you just limited to Yamaha or EV?  On the well priced end db Tech has the https://www.dbtechnologies.com/en/products/flexsys/fmx10/ and on the upper end  RCF also has a 10 coax model.  I am not a fan of Seismic Audio but they have a 10" coax that looks like it comes from the same OEM that built the Alto and Samson 12" coax wedges.  I have a metric shit ton of the Alto's and they have amazing bang for the buck.  I have sent them out on some serious gigs (I have them blacked out so the control panel and brand can't be seen) and had positive reviews.  I have thought about grabbing one one of the Seismic 10" myself, they have an 8" too but that's too small a driver, be all sorts of problems.

Mal Brown

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 01:56:38 PM »

Just ordered another set of the Yamahas from Mr Pyle. Price increase coming in October I hear.  8 was also interested in the db techs (love my Ingenia's) but already having 2 of the DHR12M and having a season on them with good results  - it made more sense to stay the course.
Bass player, sound guy.
FB Gorge Sound and Light
FB Willyand Nelson
FB SideShow

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2022, 01:56:38 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.046 seconds with 24 queries.