ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: My First Tech Video  (Read 1275 times)

Robert Lunceford

My First Tech Video
« on: August 16, 2022, 01:05:04 PM »

I purchased a vocal microphone that I was having serious "p" pop issues with. I didn't want to use an external pop filter as one of the main considerations in buying the mic was it's physical appearance.
I found a solution that works extremely well so I posted a video to help others that may also be looking for a solution to this problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFs3tfSBPVo

Debbie Dunkley

• Central North Carolina
Re: My First Tech Video
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 01:18:44 PM »

I purchased a vocal microphone that I was having serious "p" pop issues with. I didn't want to use an external pop filter as one of the main considerations in buying the mic was it's physical appearance.
I found a solution that works extremely well so I posted a video to help others that may also be looking for a solution to this problem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FFs3tfSBPVo

I just watched the video Robert - thanks for the info. BTW - you probably need to stop holding back your feelings and express yourself freely .... ;D
A young child says to his mother, "Mom, when I grow up I'm going to be a musician." She replies, "Well honey, you know you can't do both."

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 02:40:59 PM »

Or back off the mic a bit, or raise the mic a tad so the plosive doesn't hit the face.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
Re: My F ing goofy vocal mic
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 04:12:55 PM »

Or back off the mic a bit, or raise the mic a tad so the plosive doesn't hit the face.
Dave,

Robert's Earthworks SR314 "vocal" mic is flat to 20Hz at 5" away, only -5dB at 20Hz at 12", he'd have to back off the stage to keep the plosives from ploding ;)

The "dead cat" wind screen is a better option, he can just crank up the effing lost high frequencies..

Art

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 08:55:19 PM »

Dave,

Robert's Earthworks SR314 "vocal" mic is flat to 20Hz at 5" away, only -5dB at 20Hz at 12", he'd have to back off the stage to keep the plosives from ploding ;)

The "dead cat" wind screen is a better option, he can just crank up the effing lost high frequencies..

Art

The p plosive is very directional.  Put your hand in front of your mouth and feel the pattern.  The problem occurs when that big puff of air hits the mic.  Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against dead cats.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 08:57:42 PM by Dave Garoutte »
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

frank kayser

• Maryland suburbs of Washington DC
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2022, 06:56:01 AM »

Interesting solution.  Never would've thunk of that.  It is a very "pretty" mic and can well understand why one would not wish to ruin the aesthetics of the mic with an external foam or dead cat windscreen.
Still, it's amazing what can be conveyed with video even with with 50% of the audio bleeped out! :P

Paul Johnson

• Currently - Lowestoft - UK
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 04:08:11 PM »

I was waiting to hear the mic popping then after your fix, sadly, that wasn't to be.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 05:54:14 PM »

Must be dedicated to the bands "look" to buy $700 vocal mics that needed modded to work.

How do they respond to live stages, monitors and a PA system?

Robert Lunceford

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 02:46:32 AM »

Must be dedicated to the bands "look" to buy $700 vocal mics that needed modded to work.

How do they respond to live stages, monitors and a PA system?

The singer in the band is exceptional and deserves a top quality microphone to sing through. The choice of the Earthworks over a Neumann live vocal mic was based on appearance.
I also have a Sennheiser MD441 which has a great appearance, but it too has problems with p-pop and no good way of adding a pop filter without destroying the appearance.

I purchased the SR314 in 2019 when they were first introduced. I only found favorable reviews and was not aware of the plosive issues.
The mic really does sound great, aside from the p-pop. We had been using it with the internal foam filters modification and some low end EQ but we were still getting p-pops now and then.
I recently thought of trying the internal dead cat and it really has made a dramatic difference. I am very satisfied with the performance since installing the internal dead cat and we no longer need to apply the low EQ.

It works very well on stage with PA and monitors. Before the dead cat mod, the first frequency it would feed back at was ultra high, around 12kHz.  After the mod it first starts feeding back at around 8KHz so the dead cat mod has helped reduce feedback in the wedges.

We mostly perform at concert venues where people actually sit quietly and listen. We don't need loud monitors in these environments
Here is a recent video of the band performing live with the SR314.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aA8yHrt7LyU

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2022, 02:46:32 AM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.022 seconds with 25 queries.