ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: projector recommendation  (Read 5209 times)

Jon Roelfs

Re: projector recommendation
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2022, 01:23:19 AM »

We are located in SE Nebraska. I wrote off rentals solely from previous experience. I’m well aware good gear costs money. In that particular situation lightning damaged a keyboard that was still under warranty. The seller was also an authorized service center and tried to help the church out. They had the exact same unit as a floor model and I could pick it up Sunday morning and return it in the afternoon, three hour round trip. The math showed the church would be basically buying a new keyboard every three weeks. Repairs were expected to take up to eight weeks. The church decided to do without till the repairs were finished. I have nothing against the retailer but we would of purchased two new keywords while waiting on our free repair. Financially renting did not pencil out. Back on topic, the camp runs Sunday to Sunday so, eight days in July. Also, 1 or 2 single days during the year. I’m not aware of a video rental company within a two hour radius open on Sunday. Not many that I’m aware of in general. Rental might have to be extended Friday or Saturday to the next Monday. That’s why I’m assuming renting might not pencil out and I could be wrong. Have not looked into the used market. Not a video guy so I’m soaking up as much as I can.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2022, 07:46:13 AM »

We are located in SE Nebraska. I wrote off rentals solely from previous experience. I’m well aware good gear costs money. In that particular situation lightning damaged a keyboard that was still under warranty. The seller was also an authorized service center and tried to help the church out. They had the exact same unit as a floor model and I could pick it up Sunday morning and return it in the afternoon, three hour round trip. The math showed the church would be basically buying a new keyboard every three weeks. Repairs were expected to take up to eight weeks. The church decided to do without till the repairs were finished. I have nothing against the retailer but we would of purchased two new keywords while waiting on our free repair. Financially renting did not pencil out. Back on topic, the camp runs Sunday to Sunday so, eight days in July. Also, 1 or 2 single days during the year. I’m not aware of a video rental company within a two hour radius open on Sunday. Not many that I’m aware of in general. Rental might have to be extended Friday or Saturday to the next Monday. That’s why I’m assuming renting might not pencil out and I could be wrong. Have not looked into the used market. Not a video guy so I’m soaking up as much as I can.

The rental provider I’ve worked with a lot on projectors for churches does Friday/Monday with rental rate based on actual expected usage.  I also have a good relationship with them so they know when I say 4-6 hours of usage they can believe it and not get the unit back and see 50 hours on the lamp.

Jon Roelfs

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2022, 04:53:13 PM »

Contacted an area AV company and was quoted $900 for a 5,000 lumen projector for the week. I did mention our expected hour usage. Sounded like they had brighter units at another location but were having phone issues. Buying used is the only realistic option. Though I haven’t heard any hard budget numbers I’m figuring for $2000 max all said and done but as close to $1000 as possible. Trying to plug different models into the throw distance calculator on projector central. How many foot lamberts should we be trying to aim for?
These are the values I keep the same:
Aspect ratio 16:9
Throw distance 14’
Image size 10’ wide
Screen gain 1, the screen manufacturer claimed 1.2
« Last Edit: August 22, 2022, 05:37:02 PM by Jon Roelfs »

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2022, 04:42:28 AM »

Contacted an area AV company and was quoted $900 for a 5,000 lumen projector for the week. I did mention our expected hour usage. Sounded like they had brighter units at another location but were having phone issues. Buying used is the only realistic option. Though I haven’t heard any hard budget numbers I’m figuring for $2000 max all said and done but as close to $1000 as possible. Trying to plug different models into the throw distance calculator on projector central. How many foot lamberts should we be trying to aim for?
These are the values I keep the same:
Aspect ratio 16:9
Throw distance 14’
Image size 10’ wide
Screen gain 1, the screen manufacturer claimed 1.2

I will run the numbers I think a 5k should do the job but please wait.  What is the ambient light situation?  The problem with gain is it doesn't just gain up the projector it also gains up the ambient light and washes out quicker.  No such thing as a free lunch.

I will check with my freight provider but I can make screaming deals on HD conventional projectors.  A 7.5k lumen Christie with very high quality optics including remote zoon and focus.  It will come in a road case with spare lamp modules, fully tested, SDI module and HDMI.  I also send a piece of black drape that covers the case so it can be used as a projector stand.  Most people want 4k lasers and I keep the HD around for the budget conscience business and HOW users. 

Real rental houses are not cheap though as we have to keep spares, spare units, parts units and projectors are high maintenance 30-60 minutes in checkout and clean up on the return so it is ready to go out again.  Sure you can buy one but what do you do when it goes out the night before a major event?  That's where the value comes into play. 
Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jon Roelfs

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2022, 07:58:32 PM »

Here are some wider pictures of the venue. The main room is approximately 30' wide by 60' deep. Lighting is switched in a left, center and right fashion going the long length of the building.

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2022, 02:11:57 PM »

There are smarter lighting guys on here than me-but one thought based on what we do might be to kill the front row of overhead lights and use spots positioned to light speakers faces, but not wash the screen area.  We actually light a larger area when not using a screen, but pull lights off the screen area when the screen is in use.  If it is more video content focused-say a missionary video, vs lyrics or announcements that just need to be easily discernable, we go to blackout.  In fairness, we are using a 10K laser anyway-but we have large stained glass windows to contend with especially on Sunday morning.
Steve Swaffer

Jordan Wolf

« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2022, 11:01:05 AM »

I would look to rent a single-chip, laser projector that’s rated around 8,000-10,000 lumens. Try Rentex, Nationwide Video and Hartford Rental for some options (go local, too).

You - and your church - will have a MUCH easier time swallowing the thought of rental costs when everyone finally experiences a “bright enough” projector with satisfactory color rendering for what you are doing.

Anything else will be disappointing and underwhelming.

We deploy 9’x16’ fastfold screens daily and anything less than an 8,000-lumen projector looks dim and washed out unless the entire front half of the room is dark.
Jordan Wolf
<><

"We want our sound to go into the soul of the audience, and see if it can awaken some little thing in their minds... Cause there are so many sleeping people." - Jimi Hendrix

Tim Hite

• Bad Quail
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2022, 02:43:50 AM »

Thanks for the honest input and help in managing expectations. We will have to live with just turning the lights off but, would like to not have to cover the windows. The 11th hour scramble of where to get a projector is getting old. I realize a new large venue sized projector is out of our means. Is there a particular technology we should try to look for? I'm trying to plug some of our info into the calculator on projector central.

You really want a DLP laser projector, the savings in lamps is well worth spending a bit up front.

We have a couple in our rental inventory and they never fail to impress.
Bad Quail
Sound + Light + Image
Joshua Tree, California
Authorized Dealer for all this stuff

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2022, 02:43:50 AM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.078 seconds with 25 queries.