ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: projector recommendation  (Read 5362 times)

Jon Roelfs

projector recommendation
« on: August 15, 2022, 06:56:40 PM »

I'm looking for recommendations on a projector for a church camp. The group previously would borrow "classroom" sized projectors every year but decided to purchase one. The main issue we run into is the lack of brightness. The lights have to be turned off and paper is put on the windows to block out some ambient light. It is primarily used for lyric videos and PowerPoint from a PC, MAC or DVD via HDMI. I attached photos of the two rooms it's used in. The previous projector used was a Casio XJ-V2 .

The first setup has a screen that is 10' wide by 7'6" high and sits on a north wall. The Casio projector on the table is about 15' 6" from the screen.

The second setup utilizes a stage with a white wall that video is projected on. The projector is set on a table in front of the stage around 19'-20' from the wall. Stage depth is 16' 6" and the back wall is 18' wide by 9' 4" high. The back wall does not need to be completely covered and we don't want the projector to sit on the stage.

I'm sure some details are missed but will try my best to answer any questions. Budget is around $1,000

Scott Holtzman

• Ghost AV - Avon Lake, OH
    • Ghost Audio Visual Systems, LLC
Re: projector recommendation
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2022, 12:31:42 AM »

I'm looking for recommendations on a projector for a church camp. The group previously would borrow "classroom" sized projectors every year but decided to purchase one. The main issue we run into is the lack of brightness. The lights have to be turned off and paper is put on the windows to block out some ambient light. It is primarily used for lyric videos and PowerPoint from a PC, MAC or DVD via HDMI. I attached photos of the two rooms it's used in. The previous projector used was a Casio XJ-V2 .

The first setup has a screen that is 10' wide by 7'6" high and sits on a north wall. The Casio projector on the table is about 15' 6" from the screen.

The second setup utilizes a stage with a white wall that video is projected on. The projector is set on a table in front of the stage around 19'-20' from the wall. Stage depth is 16' 6" and the back wall is 18' wide by 9' 4" high. The back wall does not need to be completely covered and we don't want the projector to sit on the stage.

I'm sure some details are missed but will try my best to answer any questions. Budget is around $1,000

You are not going to find anything near that cost that can overcome that light.  Think 10x that price.

Scott AKA "Skyking" Holtzman

Ghost Audio Visual Solutions, LLC
Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Matthias McCready

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2022, 03:39:35 PM »

You are not going to find anything near that cost that can overcome that light.  Think 10x that price.

Epson Laser stuff costs less than $10K, and I have had good results in well-lit spaces.

Agreed $1,000 will not do it though.
Measure twice, and cut once; this is especially important if you are a mohel.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2022, 08:22:11 PM »

Epson Laser stuff costs less than $10K, and I have had good results in well-lit spaces.

Agreed $1,000 will not do it though.

I was talking about the laser projectors.  It seems no matter how many new models they introduce the ones I want are always out of reach.  I am making do with a pair of Christies, a bunch of lenses and several spares for parts.  We have serve a niche of folks that want quality but can't afford to rent the latest.  I should mention we have a bunch of fast folds too.

So back to the OP, I am aware Epson makes consumer and IT grade stuff.  If they want to go this route look at the pro BenQ models.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

Jon Roelfs

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 09:37:31 PM »

Thanks for the honest input and help in managing expectations. We will have to live with just turning the lights off but, would like to not have to cover the windows. The 11th hour scramble of where to get a projector is getting old. I realize a new large venue sized projector is out of our means. Is there a particular technology we should try to look for? I'm trying to plug some of our info into the calculator on projector central.

Erik Jerde

• Classic LAB
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 11:22:11 PM »

Thanks for the honest input and help in managing expectations. We will have to live with just turning the lights off but, would like to not have to cover the windows. The 11th hour scramble of where to get a projector is getting old. I realize a new large venue sized projector is out of our means. Is there a particular technology we should try to look for? I'm trying to plug some of our info into the calculator on projector central.

Be happy with 720P.  That’ll probably save you some $$ vs 1080P. 

Jon Roelfs

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 12:40:15 AM »

Looks like we will have to stick with the metal halide bulb style lamp source. Laser is well beyond our means. Our annual usage would be about 55 hours.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 12:53:50 AM by Jon Roelfs »

Lee Douglas

• 47.662615, -116.756954
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 04:26:57 PM »

You could try a higher gain screen that would reflect more of the light coming from the projector back towards.  Of course, if you have windows behind the projector or need a wider viewing angle...
This space for rent

Jon Roelfs

« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2022, 06:40:25 PM »

The screen is a “celexon” branded fast fold from Amazon. From what I can find online the manufacturer claims a gain of 1.2.

Scott Holtzman

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2022, 12:24:34 AM »

Where are you located?  Have you considered a rental?  What about used?  You could pick up a 720 10k (10,000 lumen) projector for $1000 with the right optics.

Cleveland OH
www.ghostav.rocks

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2022, 12:24:34 AM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.045 seconds with 20 queries.