Church and H.O.W. – Forums for HOW Sound and AV - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Church and HOW Forums > H.O.W. AV

projector recommendation

(1/4) > >>

Jon Roelfs:
I'm looking for recommendations on a projector for a church camp. The group previously would borrow "classroom" sized projectors every year but decided to purchase one. The main issue we run into is the lack of brightness. The lights have to be turned off and paper is put on the windows to block out some ambient light. It is primarily used for lyric videos and PowerPoint from a PC, MAC or DVD via HDMI. I attached photos of the two rooms it's used in. The previous projector used was a Casio XJ-V2 .

The first setup has a screen that is 10' wide by 7'6" high and sits on a north wall. The Casio projector on the table is about 15' 6" from the screen.

The second setup utilizes a stage with a white wall that video is projected on. The projector is set on a table in front of the stage around 19'-20' from the wall. Stage depth is 16' 6" and the back wall is 18' wide by 9' 4" high. The back wall does not need to be completely covered and we don't want the projector to sit on the stage.

I'm sure some details are missed but will try my best to answer any questions. Budget is around $1,000

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Jon Roelfs on August 15, 2022, 06:56:40 PM ---I'm looking for recommendations on a projector for a church camp. The group previously would borrow "classroom" sized projectors every year but decided to purchase one. The main issue we run into is the lack of brightness. The lights have to be turned off and paper is put on the windows to block out some ambient light. It is primarily used for lyric videos and PowerPoint from a PC, MAC or DVD via HDMI. I attached photos of the two rooms it's used in. The previous projector used was a Casio XJ-V2 .

The first setup has a screen that is 10' wide by 7'6" high and sits on a north wall. The Casio projector on the table is about 15' 6" from the screen.

The second setup utilizes a stage with a white wall that video is projected on. The projector is set on a table in front of the stage around 19'-20' from the wall. Stage depth is 16' 6" and the back wall is 18' wide by 9' 4" high. The back wall does not need to be completely covered and we don't want the projector to sit on the stage.

I'm sure some details are missed but will try my best to answer any questions. Budget is around $1,000

--- End quote ---

You are not going to find anything near that cost that can overcome that light.  Think 10x that price.

Matthias McCready:

--- Quote from: Scott Holtzman on August 16, 2022, 12:31:42 AM ---
You are not going to find anything near that cost that can overcome that light.  Think 10x that price.

--- End quote ---

Epson Laser stuff costs less than $10K, and I have had good results in well-lit spaces.

Agreed $1,000 will not do it though.

Scott Holtzman:

--- Quote from: Matthias McCready on August 16, 2022, 03:39:35 PM ---Epson Laser stuff costs less than $10K, and I have had good results in well-lit spaces.

Agreed $1,000 will not do it though.

--- End quote ---

I was talking about the laser projectors.  It seems no matter how many new models they introduce the ones I want are always out of reach.  I am making do with a pair of Christies, a bunch of lenses and several spares for parts.  We have serve a niche of folks that want quality but can't afford to rent the latest.  I should mention we have a bunch of fast folds too.

So back to the OP, I am aware Epson makes consumer and IT grade stuff.  If they want to go this route look at the pro BenQ models.

Jon Roelfs:
Thanks for the honest input and help in managing expectations. We will have to live with just turning the lights off but, would like to not have to cover the windows. The 11th hour scramble of where to get a projector is getting old. I realize a new large venue sized projector is out of our means. Is there a particular technology we should try to look for? I'm trying to plug some of our info into the calculator on projector central.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version