ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Behringer BA19 Boundary Mic on Kick.  (Read 2813 times)

John L Nobile

Re: Behringer BA19 Boundary Mic on Kick.
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2022, 10:52:07 AM »

I have a couple of the early Crown PZM's with the external PX-18 power supplies that I used a lot of times for kick drums, the D6 is more my go to these days but I'll bring out a PZM evey now and then.

I like using the SM91 with a D6, both in the kick with the D6 a few inches from the beater.

My 91 seems to have gone missing so I'm thinking of ordering a Behringer. I'll see what kind of budget I can get next year. Concerts have been few and far between the last couple of years.

Steve Eudaly

• Headline Productions
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2022, 11:01:26 AM »

My go-to is the Senny 901, if there's a hole.  Love the simplicity, sound and floor space.

It's a bummer they didn't make the 901 a little more narrow, as I often find it's too wide for many drum ports.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2022, 11:30:25 AM »

For those of you using a variation of the now-classic Beta 52 / SM91, keep in mind the path length difference to the diaphragms causes a comb filter.  The depth of the cancellation depends on how close in level the two sources are.

This is quite audible.

I like using the SM91 with a D6, both in the kick with the D6 a few inches from the beater.

My 91 seems to have gone missing so I'm thinking of ordering a Behringer. I'll see what kind of budget I can get next year. Concerts have been few and far between the last couple of years.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2022, 11:30:51 AM »

Prefer the 901 over Shure B91, kinda like the SM91 but they are rare these days.

OTOH a certain three letter Danish microphone manufacturer has released a new microphone....

John L Nobile

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2022, 01:36:08 PM »

For those of you using a variation of the now-classic Beta 52 / SM91, keep in mind the path length difference to the diaphragms causes a comb filter.  The depth of the cancellation depends on how close in level the two sources are.

This is quite audible.

In the low end? I tend to HPF the 91 and use it more for click and the D6 for bottom.

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2022, 02:07:33 PM »

It depends on the path length difference between the two mics and the source.  In this case the source is the drum beater, although there is plenty of other sound bouncing around.  The beater should dominate here.   If they are a foot apart and the levels are close enough the (first) notch should be around 500Hz. 

That’s the classic comb filter demonstration setup; two sources a foot apart.

It could actually work in your favor, depending on what you need.

In the low end? I tend to HPF the 91 and use it more for click and the D6 for bottom.
It's got electrolytes. 

Doug Fowler

• Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2022, 02:39:49 PM »

Here’s the classic demonstration, one millisecond between sources.  Sources are at equal level.  See photo.

That’s the classic comb filter demonstration setup; two sources a millisecond apart.  In practical use we can say one foot equals one millisecond but that’s a somewhat rough estimation.  So if your mics are about a foot apart at equal level this gives you an idea of what’s going on.  Keep in mind this is a laboratory type demo, your real world measurement would be a lot messier.

It's got electrolytes. 

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2022, 06:07:49 PM »

It's a bummer they didn't make the 901 a little more narrow, as I often find it's too wide for many drum ports.
+1 to this...

Tiago de Sousa

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2022, 11:05:15 PM »

I have both a shure SM91 and a Shure Beta91 that I've used for many years inside the Kick drum in Live Sound reinforcement.

I bought the Behringer B19A 2 years ago when it was released, I have to be honest I was really impressed with it's sound and I even like it a bit better than the Shure Beta91.

When comparing it to the Beta91 it has a very similar sound and it's totally interchangeable, it just has slightly less boost on the high end than the Beta91, which I personally prefer since I always found the Beta91 too "clicky" and had to cut some high end on the board. Basically it's the same sound with a little less bump on 5khz to 10Khz.
Be aware the BA19A has slightly less output than the Beta91, maybe around 8 dbs less, it's nothing to worry about since we have plenty of gain on the preamps, it's just something to be aware if you are comparing one to the other, make sure you match the levels.

My conclusion and advice is that I don't see at the moment any reason to buy the Shure Beta91, the Behringer D19A does exactly the same thing for 1/4 of the price.

The only thing I don't like are the Blue LEDs around the XLR connector, you will have a blue light inside the Kick Drum, so what I did was to open the mic and cut the wire that feeds voltage to the LEDs, very easy to do and problem solved, now it's perfect

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2022, 11:05:15 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 21 queries.