ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Analog mixer Post Fader aux auxiliary out query  (Read 817 times)

Tim Weaver

• College Station, Texas
    • Daniela Weaver Photography
Re: Analog mixer Post Fader aux auxiliary out query
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2022, 11:37:43 PM »

If you aren't convinced yet, a digital board doesn't just replace the mixer. It replaces the mixer, the 6 channels of EQ, the 4 channels of gates, the 8 channels of compressors, and the 2 effects units.........

Aaaaaaand the snake.
Bullwinkle: This is the amplifier, which amplifies the sound. This is the Preamplifier which, of course, amplifies the pree's.

Russell Ault

• Edmonton, AB
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2022, 11:55:39 PM »

And still has zero latency, something to consider with in ear monitors.

True, but the XR18 only adds 0.8ms input-to-output, which should be well within basically every latency budget (including, IIRC, IEMs for violin players).

-Russ

Art Welter

« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2022, 03:01:17 PM »

True, but the XR18 only adds 0.8ms input-to-output, which should be well within basically every latency budget (including, IIRC, IEMs for violin players).
Russ,

From a standpoint of timing, I'd agree completely.
From a standpoint of one's own voice reproduced in-ear, latency (and polarity) can be a problem that often goes unaddressed.

Dave Rat’s YouTube video allows you to "Actually Hear In-Ear Latency Issues":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APj0ZaMy4Xw

The video allows you to hear the internal resonance of his ear canal combined with the sound of a microphone through an in ear monitor, with or without a polarity reverse and latency (delay) added in one millisecond increments to the microphone.

The microphone’s signal of your voice through an in ear or headphone monitor coupled with one’s own ear’s internal resonance when in polarity increases low frequency level, while reversing polarity cancels, sounding “thin” to the person singing or talking.

Any amount of latency (delay) added to the microphone signal along with the in ear resonance alters the timbre of the sound perceived from one’s own voice, with 1 millisecond latency cancelling around 560 Hz or so, 2 ms at 280 Hz, 3ms at 210 Hz, 4ms at 140 Hz and so on. Reversing polarity in addition to the phase difference cancellations caused by the latency changes the perceived timbre.

Anyway, something to consider with in ear monitors.

Art

Thomas Le

« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2022, 11:14:08 PM »

Thanks to all for saying what I assumed to be fact. Was looking for a quick 'n dirty route.
I have a Presonus StudioLive 16:4:2 but haven't invested in the Pad, router, etc to go
remote. Plus it's a flight case chunk to carry around. Spoiled being able to reach over
and do stage adjustments on the fly on a control surface. Maybe a Touch Mix 16 would
be the cheap alternative. After Presonus/ Yamaha liquidation. Don't cherish the rack.
Even our IEM's are Pelican loaded.

IMO I would try to sell the presonus also. The iPad functionality is limited since it is a hybrid console (the processing is digital but the level controls are analog) and not everything can be remote controllable nor recallable. Plus you may run into a PSU issue that affected that line of mixers.

I would also advise against the QSC TM16. Slow interface, nonrecallable gain controls, and proprietary power supply.

Alec Spence

• Herts, UK
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2022, 05:44:30 PM »

IMO I would try to sell the presonus also. The iPad functionality is limited since it is a hybrid console (the processing is digital but the level controls are analog) and not everything can be remote controllable nor recallable. Plus you may run into a PSU issue that affected that line of mixers.
And it's chunky!

I would also advise against the QSC TM16. Slow interface, nonrecallable gain controls, and proprietary power supply.
All that, and much more pricey than the XR18...

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2022, 05:58:57 PM »

and proprietary power supply.

Actually I consider an external power supply as kind of a plus, carry a spare. If my AH QU's had an external power supply or the option for one I would have a spare.

I have a spare for my UI16.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2022, 05:58:57 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 20 queries.