ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: JBL PRX615M POWERED SPEAKERS RELIABLE?????  (Read 30773 times)

Chuck Simon

• Pittsburgh, Pa.
Re: JBL PRX615M POWERED SPEAKERS RELIABLE?????
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2011, 11:06:04 AM »

Do you guys mean the leg from the amp to the drivers in not connected?
That was my experience.  I opened up the back of the cabinet and the connector was just hanging there on the wire from the amp.

Rafael Valle

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2011, 12:35:16 PM »

That was my experience.  I opened up the back of the cabinet and the connector was just hanging there on the wire from the amp.
I don't believe that I have a loose wire, I used them yesterday and worked fine.my main concern is reliability.imagine I am doing a wedding at a remote beach with a small generator.I only bring a pair of prx 615m and due to the gen set being cheap they don't turn on. I will have a very bad situation going on and a very angry client. I really like a lot the sound of this speakers but I prefer a bad sounding speaker that won't let me down and I can trust. I was going to purchase more of this speakers but put it on hold.

Andrew Makinson

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2011, 01:31:38 PM »

this past weekend I was doing a local dj show with a simple meyer upa, crest amp setup.

Am I the only one trying to figure this one out?

"The UPA-1C is a biamplified system and must be used with the M-1A Control Electronics Unit. The M-1A functions as an active crossover, dividing the input signal into high and low frequency components."  I've used this setup as recently as within the past year.  There are older, conventionally powered, Meyer's boxes still around.  Perhaps that is what the Crest amps are for.   
--
Andrew Makinson
Grace Covenant Church
Chantilly, VA

Tim Talbot

• True Sound Hire
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2011, 01:32:04 PM »

Who the hell knows? Anything could have happened.

Just what i was thinking...... could of been / could be 10000000 different things

Rafael Valle

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2011, 01:40:51 PM »

Am I the only one trying to figure this one out?

"The UPA-1C is a biamplified system and must be used with the M-1A Control Electronics Unit. The M-1A functions as an active crossover, dividing the input signal into high and low frequency components."  I've used this setup as recently as within the past year.  There are older, conventionally powered, Meyer's boxes still around.  Perhaps that is what the Crest amps are for.
Yea, lucky this was my main system setup at this time. I had 3 upa-1c with the m1-a pross powered by a crest fa 901 amp working like a charm.

Randy Freemire

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2011, 02:51:31 PM »

Buy a voltage regulator and keep it on hand for those times when you're running off a generator.  Even if your equipment runs on the generator, it could be hard on it with the fluctuations of the generator power.

Rafael Valle

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2011, 05:02:17 PM »

originally I was going to purchase the turbosound milan M15, I wonder if the milan would had this same problem.

Bob Leonard

• Boston, MA USA
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2011, 06:52:25 PM »

I also doubt the quality of the cabinet is sub par regardless of where it is made. This is not how JBL works, or has ever worked.

What kills your mixer/cable theory, Bob, is the fact that the OP could see the signal light and clip light, indicating that he was getting a signal to the amplifier section of the cab.

Agreed there could have been a signal to the amplifier or the amplifier could have been oscilating, something I've seen in the past. However, neither makes any sense specifically because no sound would indicate no sound to either driver or through the crossover. I'll also state that no manufacturer is perfect.
BOSTON STRONG........
Proud Vietnam Veteran

I did a gig for Otis Elevator once. Like every job, it had it's ups and downs.

Gordon Brinton

• ID Verified
    • Raw Depth Sound and Raw Depth Video, Carlisle, PA
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2011, 08:07:53 PM »

I found this on page 10 of the PRX 600 series online manual. It further supports the generator theory.

"A robust AC supply is necessary for maximum performance. If the supply is too weak the bass performance may
be affected and if it sags (drops) too much the system may self-mute to protect itself."
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 08:09:28 PM by Gordon Brinton »
Member since 2005.

Chris Davis

• SR Forums
  • USA
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 11:16:59 PM »

I found this on page 10 of the PRX 600 series online manual. It further supports the generator theory.

"A robust AC supply is necessary for maximum performance. If the supply is too weak the bass performance may
be affected and if it sags (drops) too much the system may self-mute to protect itself."

Okay, so there are two things so far that jump to the top of my list.  First, one of the speaker wires may be intermittent.  Second, maybe the power was not up to par.  I vote for the internal speaker wire being intermittent.  One guy already reported this as a real cause (not just suspected).  Get in there and have a look...

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2011, 11:16:59 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.044 seconds with 24 queries.