ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Avoiding comb filtering with multiple full-range speakers?  (Read 3276 times)

Ed Towns

Avoiding comb filtering with multiple full-range speakers?
« on: August 10, 2022, 05:26:51 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie so forgive me if this is the wrong forum (or my real name does not get displayed). I joined this forum because I organize underground electronic music events which range in size anywhere from 30-40 up to around 150-200 people. We generally use outdoor locations and our crew is currently looking to upgrade our sound equipment.  We have an option to purchase 2x10" + 2x15" full range speakers (+ matching subs) OR we could opt for a 3-way full range speaker + matching subs.

I have a question concerning use of multiple full range speakers though ie: 10" and 15".  I understand using both 10" and 15" full-range speakers simultaneously would likely induce comb filtering effects. Therefore, would using an active crossover (I have a dbx 234) solve this issue?  ie: run the mids to the 15s and the highs to the 10s.  If the mid/high active xover freq is set BELOW the passive xover in the 15s (2 kHz in this case), my understanding is that this would essentially remove the high freq compression driver all-together, and then everything above will be handled by the 10s (which also has a passive xover at 2 kHz).

Does anyone set up a system this way (it's essentially creating an option to use the 10s at FOH speakers for bigger events instead of monitors which would be regular use), and if so any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.  OR maybe we just forget about it and go 3-way full range + subs?  However in this case its a slightly less flexible option for different types of events. 

Mac Kerr

• Old enough to know better
  • Administrator
  • Audio Plumber
Posting Rules
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2022, 06:48:26 AM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie so forgive me if this is the wrong forum (or my real name does not get displayed).

Please go to your profile and change your name to your real full name as required by the posting rules.

Mac
admin

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Avoiding comb filtering with multiple full-range speakers?
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2022, 04:27:45 PM »

Spend more money and get one set of good 12" 2-way tops and subs.
Something like Yamaha DZR112 (or the older DSR112)can easily cover your needs. 
JTR makes powered subs that will crank for EDM.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Paul Mayer

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 02:04:39 PM »

Hi Everyone,

I'm a newbie so forgive me if this is the wrong forum (or my real name does not get displayed). I joined this forum because I organize underground electronic music events which range in size anywhere from 30-40 up to around 150-200 people. We generally use outdoor locations and our crew is currently looking to upgrade our sound equipment.  We have an option to purchase 2x10" + 2x15" full range speakers (+ matching subs) OR we could opt for a 3-way full range speaker + matching subs.

I have a question concerning use of multiple full range speakers though ie: 10" and 15".  I understand using both 10" and 15" full-range speakers simultaneously would likely induce comb filtering effects. Therefore, would using an active crossover (I have a dbx 234) solve this issue?  ie: run the mids to the 15s and the highs to the 10s.  If the mid/high active xover freq is set BELOW the passive xover in the 15s (2 kHz in this case), my understanding is that this would essentially remove the high freq compression driver all-together, and then everything above will be handled by the 10s (which also has a passive xover at 2 kHz).

Does anyone set up a system this way (it's essentially creating an option to use the 10s at FOH speakers for bigger events instead of monitors which would be regular use), and if so any tips or suggestions would be much appreciated.  OR maybe we just forget about it and go 3-way full range + subs?  However in this case its a slightly less flexible option for different types of events.
The crossover isn’t going to perfectly help with comb filtering, as comb filtering results from phase cancellations from overlapping coverage patterns that aren’t phase coherent;you still have the chance for issues in the ranges near the crossover frequency because no HP/LP filter perfectly cuts off where you want it to. You can certainly try it and see if it sounds better, but I doubt it will sound as good as just using the pair of 15s on top of the subs.
I was inclined to initially to recommend getting the 3-ways as that seems to be the orientation you’ll use the speakers in the most, and down the line you can get some smaller 10s you can use as sidefills if you need it.  However, since you’re using subs, the benefit of having a 3-way is somewhat diminished, but depending on the construction of the box it may get louder or have other benefits.  For events where you don’t need the monitors, you can just use the 15s (or 12s; I prefer the sound of 12s paired with subs); I wouldn’t try to make a rig this way, especially because the subs tend to be your limiting factor anyways. 
If you get reasonably high powered tops like the SRX800 stuff or the Yamaha stuff (though I haven’t heard the new DZR line), you should have no issues covering up to 200 people, even if you don’t get 3-ways.  Many 3-ways also have a narrower dispersion pattern like 60 degrees which could be a bad thing depending on the space you're trying to cover. 
I agree that the 10s+15s are the more flexible option, and it would be the direction I would go.  If the music you’re doing is dance music, your subs will likely run out of gas before your tops (assuming they’re crossed over). 

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2022, 02:04:39 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 23 queries.