ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wassup with WMAS?  (Read 964 times)

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
Wassup with WMAS?
« on: August 09, 2022, 10:26:07 PM »

Rumours about Sennheiser's "awaiting FCC action" WMAS system.

For we (me) mere mortals, what should we know about this?
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Henry Cohen

• Westchester Co., NY, USA
Re: Wassup with WMAS?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2022, 11:16:28 PM »

Rumours about Sennheiser's "awaiting FCC action" WMAS system.

For we (me) mere mortals, what should we know about this?

FWIW, Shure is also working on WMAS, though theirs will be a slightly different implementation.

Wireless Multi-channel Audio System is somewhat to wireless microphone technology what digital multi-channel protocol (Dante, MADI, etc.) is to wired audio. Essentially, take the entire 6MHz TV channel (well, a bit less than 5.6MHz actually), and bi-directionally transport a significant number of audio channels of selected quality and direction. User will have the option of choosing high or lesser quality mic or talk back audio, and/or high or lesser quality IEM or queing audio in the multi-channel stream. More high quality channels will mean lower overall channel counts. Latency selection, which affects channel counts, is also potentially configurable. Channels counts being contemplated are in the mid teens to high twenties based on the aforementioned variables, though this is all still in the R&D stage, so take it FWIW.

The one nifty result of this I hope is that wholly grail of a single pack which is both the mic and IEM pack (but I keep getting rolling eyes whenever I mention that).
Henry Cohen

CP Communications    www.cpcomms.com
Radio Active Designs   www.radioactiverf.com

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2022, 11:33:15 PM »

The one nifty result of this I hope is that wholly grail of a single pack which is both the mic and IEM pack (but I keep getting rolling eyes whenever I mention that).

Joe Ciaudelli says the pack will be a transceiver.  He didn't deny simultaneous TX/RX...
"If you're passing on your way, from Palm Springs to L.A., Give a wave to good ol' Dave, Say hello to progress and goodbye to the Moonlight Motor Inn." - Steve Spurgin, Moonlight Motor Inn

Henry Cohen

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2022, 11:51:57 PM »

Joe Ciaudelli says the pack will be a transceiver.  He didn't deny simultaneous TX/RX...

So they did settle on that. Good. Haven’t spoken to anyone since NAB.
Henry Cohen

Tim McCulloch

• SR Forums
  • Wichita, Kansas USA
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2022, 10:51:44 AM »

So they did settle on that. Good. Haven’t spoken to anyone since NAB.

So is WMAS something that will be limited to the top end of the wireless market?  Is this technology that can initially be applied to a broader spectrum (no pun intended) of price points?  Too early to tell?

For those wondering:

https://www.radioworld.com/news-and-business/headlines/debate-over-wmas-specifics-heats-up

Henry Cohen

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 02:31:27 PM »

So is WMAS something that will be limited to the top end of the wireless market?  Is this technology that can initially be applied to a broader spectrum (no pun intended) of price points?  Too early to tell?

My guess, based on precedent, is that the first WMAS offerings will be top tier due to underlying BOM and investment as well as to showcase the newest technology with the full feature sets and capabilities. After time, that technology could filter down to lesser expensive variations of product, but since the primary idea behind WMAS is high channel counts (with better spectral and power density efficiencies), there may be few customers at the lower end of the market. But I could see a use case for let's say a 2MHz occupied bandwidth version limited to a dozen or so channels and fewer features.

Given that most of the tech support calls to OEMs is from the low to mid tier users deploying their third or more channel, WMAS could cut that tech support significantly (and possibly put a couple of CSR's out of work :()
Henry Cohen

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2022, 02:31:27 PM »

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.033 seconds with 17 queries.