ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Modern equivalent to Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2?  (Read 5988 times)

Thomas Le

Re: Modern equivalent to Presonus Studiolive 16.0.2?
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2022, 03:33:47 PM »

Personas failure rate was so high we gave up on them years ago. 

Is this the new model with flying faders

I hope it does well for you.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Its part of the "classic" SL series since it has the same layout as the original 16.4.2. Hybrid digilogue, nonrecallable HA and faders. What baffles me is that there are no main LR meters.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2022, 04:25:37 PM »

Its part of the "classic" SL series since it has the same layout as the original 16.4.2. Hybrid digilogue, nonrecallable HA and faders. What baffles me is that there are no main LR meters.
Hard to believe that they haven't updated it.  It is a really great form factor, but it is left in the dust by other products at this price point.

It doesn't do digital nearly as well as a digital stage box mixer, and it doesn't do analog console layout nearly as good as something like a MixWiz 4.

It is smaller than a MixWiz though.

Seems like there would be a market for something the size of a 16.0.2 with a good digital engine.  The problem I see is that for any digital console to be successful, it needs motorized faders so you can use layers efficiently.  Sadly, once you put 17 motorized faders and LCD scribble strips in it, the price would be more like $2000.00 - $2500.  There are already lots of competitors in that price range.

Is there a market for a ~ 1K digi hybrid mixer with 60mm faders and analog HA's?  Seems to me like it is a tough sell today.

David Morison

• SR Forums
  • Aberdeen, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2022, 04:40:47 PM »

Seems like there would be a market for something the size of a 16.0.2 with a good digital engine.  The problem I see is that for any digital console to be successful, it needs motorized faders so you can use layers efficiently.  Sadly, once you put 17 motorized faders and LCD scribble strips in it, the price would be more like $2000.00 - $2500.  There are already lots of competitors in that price range.

Is there a market for a ~ 1K digi hybrid mixer with 60mm faders and analog HA's?  Seems to me like it is a tough sell today.

Not exactly what you're imagining but the Studiomaster Digilive 16 is close - only 12 mic pre's and 100mm faders though.

It's the latest iteration of the Soundking DM20 platform that was also sold by Thomann under their own brand name for several years.

The fact that there is still a version of this available after so many years suggests there is a market, but the fact that it's on at least the 3rd vendor/brand name also suggests that it's a small enough niche that it has not really taken off big time for anyone.

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2022, 05:17:08 PM »

The lack of meters in the 16.0.2 isn't much of a loss compared to the meters on the 16.4.2 which only had 5db resolution on the mains, but somehow had 1db resolution on the selected channel.  It was annoying to see the meters right next to each other behave and display so differently.
Brian Jojade

Brian Jojade

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2022, 05:22:12 PM »

I agree.  I was about to cave in and buy a 16.4.2 when I heard Behringer was going to be releasing smaller versions of the X32.  Then I heard about the X32 Rack and got brave after thinking things through a bit.

I still like the feel of faders under my fingers, but man, setup and ergonomics of mixing in a bar with a tablet is such a breath of fresh air.  Can't imagine going back now.

The X32 rack is an awesome unit. I've got several.  Mixing on an iPad is an option, plus, in a pinch, you have controls directly on the unit so you can use the unit standalone if you absolutely had to. Mixers that have zero control options on the device itself scare me a bit!

Now, if you like the feel of physical controls, I'd highly recommend you pick up an X-Touch.  This connects right up to the X32 and you now have physical faders for your channels along with scribble strips!  You can easily bounce between banks and make level adjustments very easily.  You can also access other features but they're a little cumbersome, so pairing that with an iPad to get into the fancy stuff and it's a winning compact combo.
Brian Jojade

Douglas Cyr

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2022, 08:12:33 PM »

I ordered a used 16.0.2 with Firewire recording (I wanted the regular USB version). It's in great condition and guaranteed defect free by the seller.

I got it for $500, I was tempted by nicer things but I couldn't find anything in remotely the same price range with the basic feature set I really need and the small form factor.

I'm still a little worried though because I know the console is no longer supported and and I see a lot of them listed as for parts.

Mike Caldwell

• Covington, Ohio
    • Mike Caldwell Audio Productions
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2022, 10:56:54 PM »

The X32 rack is an awesome unit. I've got several.  Mixing on an iPad is an option, plus, in a pinch, you have controls directly on the unit so you can use the unit standalone if you absolutely had to. Mixers that have zero control options on the device itself scare me a bit!

Now, if you like the feel of physical controls, I'd highly recommend you pick up an X-Touch.  This connects right up to the X32 and you now have physical faders for your channels along with scribble strips!  You can easily bounce between banks and make level adjustments very easily.  You can also access other features but they're a little cumbersome, so pairing that with an iPad to get into the fancy stuff and it's a winning compact combo.

Depending on the value you put on service and support I know I can't recommend much of anything from the Tribe.

Scott Bolt

« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2022, 12:18:27 PM »

Depending on the value you put on service and support I know I can't recommend much of anything from the Tribe.
I personally have not needed any support of my X32 Rack (got a lifetime warranty on all the faders though :) ); however, people I know that have consoles that needed repair did not have any issues with support (also, the amount of failures on the consoles is very low compared to other mixers too).

Have you had problems?  I would be interested to hear about them.

FWIW, I have had many friends that had 16.4.2 mixers that had numerous issues.  Most everyone I know that has X32 mixers have little or no problems with them.... but then, that is just my anecdotal evidence.

Brian Jojade

« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2022, 12:33:55 PM »

I personally have not needed any support of my X32 Rack (got a lifetime warranty on all the faders though :) ); however, people I know that have consoles that needed repair did not have any issues with support (also, the amount of failures on the consoles is very low compared to other mixers too).

Have you had problems?  I would be interested to hear about them.

FWIW, I have had many friends that had 16.4.2 mixers that had numerous issues.  Most everyone I know that has X32 mixers have little or no problems with them.... but then, that is just my anecdotal evidence.

The service from Music Tribe used to be respectable, but in the last year or two, it's gone from mediocre to utter garbage from what I've heard.  Much of that coincided with the timing to eliminate all dealer channels except through a few large resellers and service is only through MT, which seems extremely understaffed and unresponsive. Parts availability is often measured in months, even for new items under warranty.

Brian Jojade

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2022, 12:53:04 PM »

Parts availability is often measured in months, even for new items under warranty.

I'm not a fan of MT by any means-but given the very real supply chain headaches going on, I would be hard pressed to fault anyone for parts availability right now.  I source parts from many industries in my day job-parts are sporadic and unpredictable.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2022, 12:53:04 PM »

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 23 queries.