ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Windows 7 hard drive resurrection?  (Read 421 times)

Dave Pluke

• BIGG GRIN Productions
Re: Windows 7 hard drive resurrection?
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2022, 11:33:09 AM »

Remove the drive from the laptop.  Install the drive in a USB drive caddy or enclosure and plug it into another Windows machine.  If the drive is physically/electrically operational it should show up as another drive, and you can access it like any other drive.  I'd copy the contents of the old drive to a USB thumb drive or another HDD.  You might be able to manually delete the contents of the Recycle bin.

If it won't boot the computer I'd say the problem is not that it's full, but the Master Boot Record is corrupted or there is damage to that part of the platter.

An alternative approach would be to use a disk cloning software (eg. Acronis) to duplicate the misbehaving disc's image to a larger, faster and more reliable drive. Once that's done, try booting to the new disc and clean up old files.

Dave
...an analog man in a digital world [tm]

Flying direct to nearly everywhere out of ATL

Craig Hauber

• Mondak Sound Design - Plentywood MT/Grenora ND
Re: Windows 7 hard drive resurrection?
« Reply #11 on: August 05, 2022, 11:34:55 AM »

Apparently the Lenovo laptop that we had Quickbooks running on has managed to completely fill it's drive and won't boot. Leaving aside my complete shock at how poorly Windows handles this compared to Mac OS lets talk about how to recover from this. I gather that the trash never got emptied - ever. I should have been more hands on with this machine as the only IT dept we have but is there a way to access the file system and empty the trash with a drive that only mounts in perhaps one try in five when connected to a Mac ? I've got the drive installed in an external case and a Mac will occasionally see it and read its vitals like the amount of space filled but running the disk utility on the Mac won't fix anything and as often as not the drive simply unmounts when the disk utility tries to access it. There is apparently a recovery partition on the drive as installed by Lenovo but the machine won't boot into that partition with any start up key combo that I've been able to dredge up. It's an old machine by laptop standards ( well by non Mac standards say my ten and 12 year old Macs still running grumble grumble ) but I'd like to at least access the drive and get the files if anyone can suggest a solution.
Thanks
I'm assuming all you need is your company file?
Even an ancient version of Quickbooks is still downloadable from intuit (assuming again that you still have access to your original purchase info) 
I just had to re-install mine on after upgrading the machine and restore from backup.  I also have my company file in a dropbox folder so even if I miss a backup, I still can recover on any other machine from those files too.

I'm using a 14yr old EliteBook for my QB machine too so planning a migrate in the new year -and do paranoid back-up after every session now.  Still love the huge screen and the feel of the backlit keyboard with numpad.  maxed out the ram recently and have upgraded it with win10 and an SSD but machines like that were never meant for such lifespans.  I wouldn't trust it to manage anything critical on a show so why trust my business finances to it?
I've also been told not to be scared of the QB online but I'm starting to feel nickel-and-dimed to death by software "subscriptions" and it would mean adding yet another.
Craig Hauber
Mondak Sound Design
-Live PA
-Installs
-Theatre

Riley Casey

Re: Windows 7 driver resurrection?
« Reply #12 on: August 05, 2022, 01:48:39 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions both comprehensible and other. I did have a Q books back up from a couple of weeks before the accounting laptop died but really wanted to be sure we had reentered all the transactions in between. I had thought the drive had simply written itself to the limit without warning because the Apple disk utility reported its capacity and filled size as the same. I usually use Windows in virtual machines on the Macs but it was so dicey as to whether the drive would show up to either OS that I was hoping for a work around.

After remembering that I still have a cheap ass Lenovo Win 10 machine I'm pretty sure now the drive is simply toast. The drive is sufficiently whacked that it prevents the Lenovo from finishing its boot up when connected. When connected after boot and recognized by the Windows disk management app the drive can't be read beyond showing its capacity and partitions. Getting the details simply times out.

Kevin Maxwell

« Reply #13 on: August 05, 2022, 06:20:29 PM »

Thanks for the suggestions both comprehensible and other. I did have a Q books back up from a couple of weeks before the accounting laptop died but really wanted to be sure we had reentered all the transactions in between. I had thought the drive had simply written itself to the limit without warning because the Apple disk utility reported its capacity and filled size as the same. I usually use Windows in virtual machines on the Macs but it was so dicey as to whether the drive would show up to either OS that I was hoping for a work around.

After remembering that I still have a cheap ass Lenovo Win 10 machine I'm pretty sure now the drive is simply toast. The drive is sufficiently whacked that it prevents the Lenovo from finishing its boot up when connected. When connected after boot and recognized by the Windows disk management app the drive can't be read beyond showing its capacity and partitions. Getting the details simply times out.

Get a bigger hammer.

I hesitate to recommend this but some times a gentle tap with the handle of a screwdriver can dislodge a stuck head. If that is what is wrong but it also could completely destroy the drive. 

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2022, 08:12:19 PM »

Get a bigger hammer.

I hesitate to recommend this but some times a gentle tap with the handle of a screwdriver can dislodge a stuck head. If that is what is wrong but it also could completely destroy the drive.

I've had a few times where I thought "well I can't break it more" that were successful. I've also had a few times where I found out that yes actually I COULD break it more.
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2022, 08:12:19 PM »

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.018 seconds with 20 queries.