ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: UPA1 processor settings  (Read 1469 times)

Keith Broughton

• Toronto
UPA1 processor settings
« on: August 02, 2022, 06:29:55 AM »

A few UPA1 speakers have come into stock but without processors.
Any chance someone has worked out DSP settings?
I can ask Meyer but it seems unlikely they would want to give any info.
I don't care enough to be apathetic

Chris Hindle

• SR Forums
  • Montreal, Quebec, Canada, Earth, Sol System,......
Re: UPA1 processor settings
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2022, 08:29:13 AM »

A few UPA1 speakers have come into stock but without processors.
Any chance someone has worked out DSP settings?
I can ask Meyer but it seems unlikely they would want to give any info.

Haven't used a set in years, but doesn't the processor use sense lines back from the Amps?
If so, it has sliding curves, variable compression and limiting and such.
It can NOT be duplicated with a modern DSP.
You could target a particular output and duplicate that, but it would fall apart away from that one "sweet spot"

Fantastic boxes, but you really need the whole kit to make them work.

Chris.
Ya, Whatever. Just throw a '57 on it, and get off my stage.

Landon Lewsaw

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2022, 08:39:46 AM »

It's been discussed ad nauseam here, but the processors aren't surviving in the numbers that the boxes are.  Granted it will never be the same, but modern DSP can come pretty close and even operating at 90% of their potential the UPA still outperforms any modern MI grade box (IMO).

I bought half a dozen from a theatre years ago and have been running them pretty hard with no issues.  Even converted a pair to self-powered wth plate amps and they sound great too!

Doug Fowler

• Member since May 1995, 2nd poster on original LAB, moderator on and off since 1997, now running TurboMOD v1.826
  • Administrator
  • Saint Louis, MO USA
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2022, 10:38:10 AM »

Haven't used a set in years, but doesn't the processor use sense lines back from the Amps?
If so, it has sliding curves, variable compression and limiting and such.
It can NOT be duplicated with a modern DSP.
You could target a particular output and duplicate that, but it would fall apart away from that one "sweet spot"

Fantastic boxes, but you really need the whole kit to make them work.

Chris.

Negative, no sliding curves unless I have been grossly misled.  That feature was present in similar Apogee controllers, as told to me by an Apogee principal.

Will someone with access to a UPA controller and a measurement setup please plug this to bed, one way or the other?   

I’m going to post this in the measurement forum.
Brawndo, the Thirst Mutilator. 
It's got electrolytes. 
It's got what plants crave.

Rich Frembes

• Fulcrum Acoustic
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 10:56:43 AM »

Negative, no sliding curves unless I have been grossly misled.  That feature was present in similar Apogee controllers, as told to me by an Apogee principal.

Will someone with access to a UPA controller and a measurement setup please plug this to bed, one way or the other?   

I don't know for sure but I suspect the whole sliding crossover point (myth) was a side effect of uncoupled limiter thresholds. If the HF were to limit well ahead of the LF the acoustic crossover point would indeed shift upwards. For instance.

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 02:31:52 PM »

I don't know for sure but I suspect the whole sliding crossover point (myth) was a side effect of uncoupled limiter thresholds. If the HF were to limit well ahead of the LF the acoustic crossover point would indeed shift upwards. For instance.

Now THIS makes some sense
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Art Welter

• Santa Fe, New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 02:42:11 PM »

Exactly.

The Meyer M-1A processor used for the UPA 1C and UM-1 has a fixed electronic crossover frequency of 1600Hz, it's SpeakerSense™ driver protection when active will reduce the acoustic crossover frequency when the low frequency limits, and increase it when the high frequency limits.

The VHF peak limiter is 2msec on, 35msec release, but both the low and high use a slow 100msec RMS limiter. The RMS limiter is too slow to prevent momentary amplifier clipping on peaks.

When the "safe" function is engaged, the limiters come on at a 6dB lower power level, which could cause a down/up shift in the acoustic crossover frequency for each kick and snare hit, for instance.

If the driver protection is not active, the acoustic crossover point does not shift.

Art
« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 02:53:33 PM by Art Welter »

Kent Clasen

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 03:07:55 PM »

I have a few M1As. Will try to measure w/SMAART.

Also note there is a HF jumper inside the box on the rear [have to remove woofer] that has a ‘flat’ and ‘16k’ option. I have mine set to 16k but most importantly is to make sure they are all the same ; )

Edit:
There are also 3 diff versions of UPA1 A, B, C. Different circuit board inside UPA, HF driver, and throat extender.

PS: getting the HF driver in/out of those cabs is a big PITA

Uwe Riemer2

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2022, 05:40:20 PM »

AFAIK the math behind TF measurements requires a LTI System, forgot what the L stands for, but TI means Time Invariant.
So I always wondered, how much an acting limiter will influence the result of said TF measurement

Helge A Bentsen

• Oslo, Norway.
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 06:12:31 PM »

AFAIK the math behind TF measurements requires a LTI System, forgot what the L stands for, but TI means Time Invariant.
So I always wondered, how much an acting limiter will influence the result of said TF measurement

IIRC (been a while) when you hit the limiter, your TF graph will go down in level when you try to increase the signal beyond limiter threshold. The REF level is increasing, but the measurement level is staying at the threshold level, so you would measure this as a drop in level.

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2022, 06:12:31 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 24 queries.