Sound Reinforcement - Forums for Live Sound Professionals - Your Displayed Name Must Be Your Real Full Name To Post In The Live Sound Forums > LAB Lounge

Monitor mix

(1/3) > >>

Joel Golden:
We have 4 vocalists in my rock band, and want to get a good blend thru the PA. To make sure we get a good blend, I have the monitor mix the same as the PA mix. In fact I have the monitors connected to the PA speakers thru, so we hear the PA mix through monitors (including instruments). We dont have anybody that can adjust the mix from the audience, so this is the only way we can be sure its blended ok. Is this for some reason not a good idea?
thanks , Joel

Mal Brown:

--- Quote from: JPGold on July 30, 2022, 11:59:39 PM ---We have 4 vocalists in my rock band, and want to get a good blend thru the PA. To make sure we get a good blend, I have the monitor mix the same as the PA mix. In fact I have the monitors connected to the PA speakers thru, so we hear the PA mix through monitors (including instruments). We dont have anybody that can adjust the mix from the audience, so this is the only way we can be sure its blended ok. Is this for some reason not a good idea?
thanks , Joel

--- End quote ---

Joel, 2 things...
1. Change yoir name from JP Gold to Joel Gold.  That will forestall the login name police...
2. What you describe wouldn't work for me...  gotta bring the vocals up in the mains...  might result in screaming feedback.

I play in 2 4 piece bands with 3 singers in each.  We all have pir own monitor mix that presents each of us as the dominant voice.  My folks are trained - have been beaten into accepting that when singinging backup, they need to backup.   ... and that when singing close 3 part - which we do a lot, If they can't hear the other voices, they need to back off.  It took a long time to get there.

I highly recommend vocal only rehearsals just sing acoustically. No mics.  Very quiet instruments.  Help everybody understand how to blend vocally, acoustically.  Learn how to sing together... 

Your setup could work - with incrediblly disciplined musicians but when low end digital boards offer scads of monitor mixes and tools I can't imagine living with that.

Joel Golden:

--- Quote from: Mal Brown on July 31, 2022, 12:20:08 AM ---Joel, 2 things...
1. Change yoir name from JP Gold to Joel Gold.  That will forestall the login name police...
2. What you describe wouldn't work for me...  gotta bring the vocals up in the mains...  might result in screaming feedback.

I play in 2 4 piece bands with 3 singers in each.  We all have pir own monitor mix that presents each of us as the dominant voice.  My folks are trained - have been beaten into accepting that when singinging backup, they need to backup.   ... and that when singing close 3 part - which we do a lot, If they can't hear the other voices, they need to back off.  It took a long time to get there.

I highly recommend vocal only rehearsals just sing acoustically. No mics.  Very quiet instruments.  Help everybody understand how to blend vocally, acoustically.  Learn how to sing together... 

Your setup could work - with incrediblly disciplined musicians but when low end digital boards offer scads of monitor mixes and tools I can't imagine living with that.

--- End quote ---

-- -- --
Mal- thanks.  Been doing rock gigs since the 80s but getting good sound out the PA is still a work in progress.  Hence the questions.

If the monitor mix is not the same as what is going out the mains, how do you know if the blend is good coming out the mains?
4 of us sing in a Barbershop chorus (recently won 3rd place in the world), so we have vocal sessions and work on blend.  This is why it is important to us to to get accurate mix and volume levels in the monitors.  So, a question: If a guy has his own voice dominant, if he blends it well in the monitor, wont his voice be too low in the main mix? Wouldnt it be better to have an accurate representation in the monitors for what is coming out the mains? 

thanks, Joel
Joel

Kevin Maxwell:
What mixer are you using?

Joel Golden:

--- Quote from: Kevin Maxwell on July 31, 2022, 11:54:52 PM ---What mixer are you using?

--- End quote ---

QSC touchmix 16

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version