ProSoundWeb Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ford F-150 PowerBoost as mobile show power?  (Read 3061 times)

brian maddox

• HeyYahWon! ttsss! ttsss!
Ford F-150 PowerBoost as mobile show power?
« on: July 28, 2022, 04:09:46 PM »

So I was talking about the new Ford Lightning F-150 on the FB the other day and our good friend Mike Sokol pointed out the remarkable utility of the F-150 PowerBoost hybrid.

So for those who don't know, both of these trucks offer significant amounts of good ol' fashioned 120V AC current available in "generator mode". The Hybrid version is essentially a 7.2kW full inverter generator which is pretty cool. Oh and it's got a truck attached which is handy. Got me to thinking how useful these could be for small/mid sized operators. You could tow the trailer to the gig and power the gig off the same truck.

Lots of things to consider of course, but I'd love to hear thoughts on this. Interesting? Stupid?
"It feels wrong to be in the audience.  And it's too peopley!" - Steve Smith

brian maddox
[email protected]
Savannah, GA

'...do not trifle with the affairs of dragons...

....for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup...'

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Re: Ford F-150 PowerBoost as mobile show power?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 09:24:24 PM »

So I was talking about the new Ford Lightning F-150 on the FB the other day and our good friend Mike Sokol pointed out the remarkable utility of the F-150 PowerBoost hybrid.

So for those who don't know, both of these trucks offer significant amounts of good ol' fashioned 120V AC current available in "generator mode". The Hybrid version is essentially a 7.2kW full inverter generator which is pretty cool. Oh and it's got a truck attached which is handy. Got me to thinking how useful these could be for small/mid sized operators. You could tow the trailer to the gig and power the gig off the same truck.

Lots of things to consider of course, but I'd love to hear thoughts on this. Interesting? Stupid?

A mobile DJ could set up in the truck and have no load in/out.  Would work great for parade floats too.
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Steve Crump

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 09:53:12 PM »

https://www.axios.com/2022/07/27/ford-lightning-electric-truck

Dave Garoutte

• San Rafael, CA
Nothing can be made idiot-proof; only idiot resistant.

Events.  Stage, PA, Lighting and Backline rentals.
Chauvet dealer.  Home of the Angler.
Inventor.  And now, Streaming Video!

Steve Crump

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2022, 10:17:38 AM »

Oooooo, 240 volts to power my Danleys!

Not to mention built in drum riser.

John Roberts {JR}

• Hickory, Mississippi, USA
    • Resotune
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2022, 11:05:33 AM »

Sounds like a home run for small contractors.

JR
Cancel the "cancel culture". Do not participate in mob hatred.

Brian Hancock

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2022, 09:46:12 PM »

Have first hand knowledge of a small led screen that ran off one for a display pretty cool party truck "trick" ha

Brian Jojade

• HappyMac Digital Electronics
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2022, 11:16:12 PM »

If the truck can be positioned in a convenient location, then yep, awesome.  If not, then a small generator may be a better choice
Brian Jojade

Steve Crump

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2022, 12:00:33 PM »

I had read that some orders for the Lightning will take up to 3 years to fill. I was on the phone with a salesperson at Akins Ford in Winder GA, which is a pretty large dealership trying to order a standard F-150XL for the shop and I asked him about those rumors, and he said that they are supposed to receive 10 Lightnings in 2023 and that number pales in comparison to the numbers of reservations that they have currently. 

Stephen Swaffer

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 01:07:11 PM »

I foresee a whole new conversation on bonding and grounding.  It's one think to plug a cord connected tool into a ruck-a whole different to plug in a bunch of interconnected gear to a power source-especially if that gear is not "generator" mounted.

I still say this a good case to argue for an industry standard 12/24/36 or even 48 VDC supply standard.  No reason for the inefficiency of the inverters to convert back to DC.  I looked at the AHM-64 a few days ago -because of another thread.  I thought it interesting that an install product had a DC power provision for backup but it doesn't seem like that has gone mainstream for stuff designed to be portable yet.
Steve Swaffer

ProSoundWeb Community

« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2022, 01:07:11 PM »

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 26 queries.